sugden headmaster - bright or neutral?
Apr 24, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #31 of 36
When talking about the Sugden's high frequency emphasis, I think everyone should bear in mind that this is an area on which the frequency response of the amp has by far the most importance.

The frequency response of the Sugden is +/- 0.3 dB from 20 Hz to 25 Khz. Thus any brightness is going to be at a pretty low level.

Apr 24, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 36
shivolum,
In no disrespect to Sugden particularly, I've grown suspicious of specs in general. I'm not saying it's necessarily inaccurate, I've just seen so many that I thought were that seeing it in writing doesn't make it true to me. I also wonder if the frequency response (and other specs) of components are measured in any kind of consistent manor. If that spec is accurate, of course, it's probably one of the flattest amps made.

flashbak,
I do appreciate your love for the amp and I may indeed buy one just to hear it, but this is a discussion board. Hence, some people enjoy discussing things here. While I welcome your participation when you offer it, you're free to not participate if the thread isn't to your liking. I sincerely don't understand why you're offended that some of the rest of us do want the discussion.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 36
Believe it, or not, I'm not trying to beat up the Sudgen, and say that it is a peace of ****. The Sudgen is a great amp, and can do things that no other headphone amp can do. Neither do I think my headphone amp is perfect. But, the major problem I had with the Sudgen was when I turned the volume up at all it sounded like the entire frequency responce was tilted toward the upper octaves, and just took over the music.
And, Vertigo_1. I can remember some of your posts searching for the right amp, and I recommended the Sudgen over, and over again. I had a feeling about what you were looking for. TICK, TICK, TICK! Not spit, spit, spit. I also agree with you about the MF X-CAN V-2. That was the first headphone amp I had ever heard, and probably the worst.
The only way I know how to explain this is that you, and I are on the the same plane, but at different ends.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

And, Vertigo_1. I can remember some of your posts searching for the right amp, and I recommended the Sudgen over, and over again. I had a feeling about what you were looking for. TICK, TICK, TICK! Not spit, spit, spit. I also agree with you about the MF X-CAN V-2. That was the first headphone amp I had ever heard, and probably the worst.

Believe me, I feel the pain. I was supposed to have already had a Sugden about a year ago, I had already placed an order for it. But it turns out my bank just so happened to decide to change over credit card companies right during that time, so the order never went through. And after that, I put it off till now.

But yes, you understand what I'm looking for!
cool.gif
Even better than TICK though, would be *SMAAAAAAAAAAAAA!aaaaaaaash*. But I have yet to hear that from any headphone/amp combo to date. The Sugden adds the decay and the metallic sound, but still lacks the smash factor. Well, actually I heard it from a pair of Grados before, but then the cymbals sounded so horribly bright and thinnish that it just sounded like the treble area of an EQ had been cranked to max. I think maybe headphones just can't naturally replicate cymbals like a good speaker system can, where you can really hear cymbals just smashing into a room with lots of rippling energy, and slowly fade away with lots of decay time.

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

I have to agree, Kelly. The Omega II's have the very finest presentation of cymbals I've ever heard.....and I own and have listened to a number of amps and phones. Heck, some people feel the Omega's are rolled off......that may be, but the cymbal resolution (Tony Williams with Miles, Herbie, and gang..) is scary. IMO, top end extension and resolution do not necessarily go hand in hand. Many other factors are involved.
smily_headphones1.gif

I gotta agree with you on this one Rick............after listening to the Stax SRM-001 portable system, and being very impressed with their tremendous speed and attack, even though they have a roll off in the high end, I wanted more. So I picked up acidtripwow's 20 year old Stax SR-5N system. I'm hooked! The cymbal resolution is incredible.........I can only imagine what the Omega IIs can do. I did hear them once, for a short time, but was so blown away by the overall sound, I didn't focus on any particular sonic element. At least I now know where I'm headed. But I think I'll work my way up the ladder.......it's more fun that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
At least I now know where I'm headed. But I think I'll work my way up the ladder.......it's more fun that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very cool! IMO, your journey will end in paradise!........
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back