Sudden appearance of hiss on Headfive... (Solved)
Jun 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
title says it all. i was listening to music and i noticed that there was floor noise/background hiss. i isolated it to be the amp (as opposed to the soundcard). it's strange because just yesterday even at max volume the background was completely black. now when i turn the volume pot past the 11:00 mark i can notice an audible hiss through my proline 750. for the dt990, i have to turn the pot up to 12:00 to hear it. the sound is unaffected, sounds just as good as before, but the hiss is annoying and now i have to use higher volume on my source (soundcard) to compensate which i don't want to do.

any ideas on what it could be? a dying amp?

btw, i bought this used at 200hrs or so from a fellow head-fi'er. it's in superb condition from the exterior.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by giulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should we assume you have checked that your battery is not running out?
g

i use a power cord with the headfive, don't think there's an option for a battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could it be a grounding issue? I remember something about the Ibasso having a loose grounding wire that caused some background noise. It was easily fixed though and think they fixed it in later versions.

really have no idea ricey. the amp remains stationary on my desk at all times. it's strange that one day there's no noise, and the next day, i can suddenly hear a significantly audible hiss. i was wondering if it's the power cord, but i doubt that too, i'll check as soon as i get chance.

i've heard of some people saying "dirty power" causes these problems, yet i had a hard time believing that, but i'm not sure, could it be a power issue?

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it definitely could be a power issue. I have a similar sporadic issue at my place.

rds, i just performed a series of tests, and i think it is a power issue. my amp isn't the only thing that suddenly started hissing, my speaker system (connected to my soundcard) is also hissing now. i connected my headphones to the soundcard directly, and it was totally black even at full volume, so it's definitely not the soundcard.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 10
frown.gif
sounds like a problem that can't be helped.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 10
lol thanks for the advice, but we just bought this house last year, newly built.

EDIT: hmm...just checked this morning and the problem's gone. i think i just had to remind the house that it was new and that it'll be a good 10-15 years before AC wallsockets should give me problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back