Subwoofer Recommendations
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dpmacd

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a new subwoofer for my 2.1 computer stereo system, which currently consists of:

HRT Music Streamer II (DAC) >
Harmon Kardon HK 3490 >
Polk Audio RTi4
Polk Audio PSW10

95% music and 5% movies.  I want it to be in the $200-300 range and preferably available on Amazon since I have a tax refund Amazon gift card.

I am already considering the Outlaw M8 and HSU STF-1... Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 7
The Outlaw M8 and HSU STF-1 are excellent 8" subwoofers (I own the Outlaw LFM-1 EX). You might also look into the NXG NX-BAS-500. The Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 is another to consider. If you hope to fill a medium or larger sized room with strong bass when you are not sitting at your computer, these two subs will have more SPL than the Outlaw and HSU.

If you can save a little longer, there are advantages of spending more. SVS Audio, same caliber sub company as HSU and Outlaw, makes the SB-1000 and PB-1000 which have an 80hz high pass filter on their line outs. Without the bass management that an AVR would provide, the optimal bass integration is to set your sub's low pass filter to the low frequency roll off of your speakers. With the 80hz high pass filter, you can integrate the sub in by running the pre-outs from the 3490 to the sub, then the sub outputs to the main-ins. That will allow the sub to take over some of the midbass from the speaker driver.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the feedback.

My listening room is rather small and for the type of music I listen to, I am looking for something that has tight and accurate bass, rather than boomy and powerful.  So a high quality 8" or 10" woofer would probably be best.

What is the difference in sound between ported and sealed?

Any input on the following models?

Klipsch SW-350
Infinity Primus PS410
Velodyne Impact-10
Atlantic Technology SB-900
Energy ESW-C8

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the feedback.

My listening room is rather small and for the type of music I listen to, I am looking for something that has tight and accurate bass, rather than boomy and powerful.  So a high quality 8" or 10" woofer would probably be best.

What is the difference in sound between ported and sealed?

Driver size is not about "tight and accurate" in the way that you think. The best sounding subs often have very large drivers.

So if you are not worried about the size or the amount of bass, still might be that the best sounding sub can be a bigger driver.

Has your budget increased? $200-300 is probably not enough to be thinking about sealed subs.

I've heard that the Atlantic Technology SB-900 may be a clone (same manufacturer/different branding) of the Outlaw M8. I have never been able to confirm that.

None of the other 8" subs you have listed will be better overall subs than the Outlaw and HSU. Those two are best in that size class for under $300.

The Impact-10 is not known for being a good sounding sub for the money. It's popular because of the Velodyne name.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Specifically I was asking about the difference between the SB 1000 and PB 1000, which are listed as the same price.

Yeah. It's a complicated question to talk about in general. Here is some insight: If you took the same driver and designed both a good sealed and ported enclosure for it, the sealed version would tend to have less max volume output and more gradually roll off at the end. The ported version will be larger and will likely have a tuning point where, not long after, it will tend to roll off in frequency response rather quickly (poorly designed budget subs do not do typically this). However, the ported sub will most always have more max output up to its tuning point. A sealed may have a little bit of a cleaner sound at the lower end of the response (because there is no port).

As for those two subs, one is a 10" and the other a 12" driver. The PB-1000 has more output and has a little deeper extension. The SB-1000 is smaller and will probably have a bit cleaner sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back