Subwoofer Recommendations
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 34
I really hate to selfishly wake this thread up, but it didn't make sense for me to start a new thread if this one already exists. I'm not sure if the op already decided on a sub, but I have just started my search for one. I just have a stereo setup right now: Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-amp -> Paradigm Atoms. Now, the Atoms are definitely listenable and sound excellent even without a sub. Their rich mid-range and high-end extension is just a joy to listen to. But with the low-end screeching to a halt just below 50 Hz (I believe, I haven't really measured), I'm starting to crave a little more whenever I listen to them after wearing my Shure SE530s during the day.

First, my price range is around $200-$300: Definitely below $300 and preferably under $250 if at all possible. At this point, I'd say an audible frequency response under 30 Hz would be great. I just want something that would complement my Paradigm Atoms in a middle-size room. (I hope I'm not asking too much.)

I am still very new to speakers, so I apologize for any ignorance. Any recommendations or direction as for where I should look or what I should look for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 34
It doesn't really make sense to spend more money on a subwoofer than your speakers. If I was in your position, I would sell your atoms and spend the majority of your budget on upgrading your speakers like the Paradigm Studio 20's (next logical step) and buy v1 or v2 to keep your costs low. The last time I checked, a 12" Dayton sub (good for HT for its price) was around $120.

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't really make sense to spend more money on a subwoofer than your speakers. If I was in your position, I would sell your atoms and spend the majority of your budget on upgrading your speakers like the Paradigm Studio 20's (next logical step) and buy v1 or v2 to keep your costs low. The last time I checked, a 12" Dayton sub (good for HT for its price) was around $120.

Yeah, I thought about it and I would really like to spend under $200 if at all possible. I really like my Atoms and am not yet ready to upgrade beyond them before I even get a sub.

It's funny: I was just looking at the Dayton SUB-120 HT 5 minutes ago. It seems like a really good deal. But as I looked into it further, I read quite a few people complaining about it having a "boomy" sound which I would not prefer: I like real tight bass. However, I'm definitely leaving the SUB-120 as an option that I might end up going with if I can't find a better deal in my price range.

Comments about this sub and recommendations of others are appreciated.

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 34
I am a little confused with how you would connect the sub to the system. If you are using a multi-channel sound card, then I would assume you would connect it to the sub output on the card. But what if you had only a two-channel sound card or DAC? how would you make the connection to the sub.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 34
Any speakers (especially small ones, like bookshelves) will sound better with a sub compared to running them full-range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a little confused with how you would connect the sub to the system. If you are using a multi-channel sound card, then I would assume you would connect it to the sub output on the card. But what if you had only a two-channel sound card or DAC? how would you make the connection to the sub.

Honestly, it's time to get a dedicated amp/receiver then. Or something with a sub out/LFE...because not many soundcards have that.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

I am a little confused with how you would connect the sub to the system.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but with a sub like the Dayton SUB-120, it looks like I could go from my T-amp out to the sub in and then the sub out to the speakers:

300-635iv.jpg

If this is not a common feature with subs, then maybe I don't have much of a choice.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 34
Hm, might as well add this question...if I were to buy a USB DAC for use with a macbook and Audioengine A5s, and then want to add a sub to the mix later, is that doable with that configuration, or would I need more components?

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #24 of 34
Has anyone had experience with the Dayton SUB-120? If so, how does it sound? Is it "boomy" like many say it is? Is it worth the money?

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #26 of 34
I just decided I'm not going to go with the Dayton. Even though it's cheap, I know the boominess would bother me too much. Now I'm looking at the Bic Acoustech H-100. It's really expensive ($253 shipped) but all (and I mean all) the reviews and comments I've read about it say it's worth it.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoNelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own one, but I've heard good things about the entire HSU line. You can buy direct from HSU and audition for 30 days.

HSU STF-1 Subwoofer

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Hsu STF-1 and the Paradigm Studio 20s as my primary listening setup. Absolutely love them both. It's like listening to music for the first time. That said, your Atoms are good as well. Most any sub would give you the touch of bottom end the Atoms lack. I would look for a used one off eBay or Audiogon.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #29 of 34
Oct 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Some subs have inputs AND outputs. You would use the output to feed your speakers. If not, you can always split the stereo signal to both your speakers and sub.

If you are using an 2 channel amp, Some subs have high level inputs, so you can also split the signal going from your two channel amp to your sub AND speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back