Subwoofer Recommendations
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some subs have inputs AND outputs. You would use the output to feed your speakers. If not, you can always split the stereo signal to both your speakers and sub.

Which configuration would most likely yield better performance?

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which configuration would most likely yield better performance?

I'm going to guess: use the sub to feed the speakers. Some subs have high-pass filters on the speaker outputs. I have an older Yamaha that ties the HPF to the crossover control. (Helpful, no?) What would really be nice is a bypass switch.

By the way, keep the Atoms. It never hurts to have a good pair of small speakers around, plus I have one of the 1st gen. Atoms and they still sound great.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #33 of 34
Oh yeah, I'm still keeping my SI T-amp Gen 2 -> Atoms setup. It sounds too good right now to upgrade. All I'm looking for is a little bass to compliment it.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #34 of 34
I compared Velodyne 8" to Energy 8" and the Energy sounded more musical to my ears so went with that. Velodyne seemed more of a home theatre sub than a musical sub to my ears. But I have read the top end digital Velodynes are very good. They were above my budget though so didn't even bother to listen to one. I live in an apartment so can't have a really low end sub anyway. Also, I read some comments from some audiophiles regarding subs when a guy asked what sub to get to go with his Magnaplanar speakers and they said if you want a musical sub then don't get one larger than 8" because larger subs don't have punchy bass. I like punchy bass and not deep flabby bass so 8" is good for my setup. The Energy 8" cost me $400.00 CAD but list price was $450.00 CAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back