Subwoofer on Reciever B speakers?
Jul 19, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 26
Many receivers can't even handle 4 ohms properly, so watch out.

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #18 of 26
That's perfectly fine. Connect the sub to your B output, wire your mains with A, and you're good to go.

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rendition
Unfortunately I have XL-S8 model, which has no pass thru speaker output terminals. The manual isn't very clear either, but I guess the only way is to use the B speaker outputs on the receiver.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/sourc...ubs_manual.pdf

You can use the A to the subwoofer and from the output ofthe subwoofer to the speakers, the manual says that you have a high pass filter, and that you can connect the main speakers or satellites to the output of this low pass filter....Read when it says "high level input output terminals"

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 26
Um Sov, lowpass means it lets low frequencies through. He doesn't have pass through capabilities to the satellites or mains. Er...are we reading the same manual?

(Unless he has the subwoofer in diagram 4. But I think he already said that he doesn't have the pass through high level output.)

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Um Sov, lowpass means it lets low frequencies through. He doesn't have pass through capabilities to the satellites or mains. Er...are we reading the same manual?

(Unless he has the subwoofer in diagram 4. But I think he already said that he doesn't have the pass through high level output.)

Sorry high pass filter I mean...

As they say:

The High Level inputs allow you to connect your subwoofer to the speaker outputs of any A/V Receiver or power amplifier.....<that is what we are suggesting him to do> .........The signal from the High Level output terminals passes through a built-in High Pass Filter. When these terminals are connected to your main/satellite speakers, the result is increased dynamic range and power handling, which improves overall system performance. here it seems to me that they can be used, or am I wrong?

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 26
That's true, sov, but I think that's referring to a different subwoofer because if you look at the amp diagrams, only diagram 4 has that feature and I think he has the cheapest sub out of the 4, not the most expensive.

This is a pretty crappy manual, eh?
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
That's true, sov, but I think that's referring to a different subwoofer because if you look at the amp diagrams, only diagram 4 has that feature and I think he has the cheapest sub out of the 4, not the most expensive.

This is a pretty crappy manual, eh?
tongue.gif

If you go to the table, it is true, the one he had has no LP filter and no HP filter, it is only a high level input connector, so it is the only way, to run the B to the subwoofer.....but why make one manual for 4 or 5 models???

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #24 of 26
I am going to revive this post.
I want to put a Subwoofer to my setup.
My Amp A-35R doesn't have any pre-out or subwoofer out, so I most likely will need to use the high level input.
I just want to make sure I can connect a subwoofer to my speakers B L&R without blowing my amp.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #25 of 26
In general powered subs with high level output only take signal cues from amp - and don't draw much power, so that arrangement should be fine. In fact, that's the main reason powered subs has 'speakers' input !

However, since I never tried the high level path, it would be better to start with slightly lower volume for an hour or so and notice if there's additional heat felt on amp's heatsinks / body. If everything's business as usual then you can start crank em up.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 26
The sub uses what is called a DI circuit, Direct Input, this is not proprietary technology at all. It is used in pro-audio to connect guitar amps and the like for direct injection into a PA system for sound reinforcement. All it does is convert the signal into a line level signal while correcting for impedance mismatches. The line level signal is filtered low pass, while the high level signal is filtered high pass. Some powered subs have filtered high pass low level outputs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back