Subwoofer on Reciever B speakers?
Jul 18, 2004 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rendition

100+ Head-Fier
My old receiver doesn't have a subwoofer output. Is it ok to put the subwoofer on the B speaker outputs? Is this ok?

I have a yamaha RXv480 receiver and a Energy S8 subwoofer with Mission bookshelf speakers.

Jul 18, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 26
Read below....

(edited after reading the manual)

Jul 18, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 26
Yes you can do it as long as your sub has high powered inputs.

Jul 18, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Yes you can do it as long as your sub has high powered inputs.

Yes that is true, I stand corrected, I just read the manual of this particular subwoofer, mine is different, though, I suggest you to do the same (read the manual), you could use the high level connectors input, and control throught the front panel controls the level and crossover point....yes you could use the B speakers output for that.....

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 26
If your receiver has a rec out, just hook up a pair of RCA cables from the rec out to the sub's low level input.

And I wouldn't drive 2 sets of speakers at the same time, may blow the amp.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
If your receiver has a rec out, just hook up a pair of RCA cables from the rec out to the sub's low level input.

If you use the Rec outs, then the volume knob of the receiver won't be adjusting the volume of the signal going to the sub. You would need to adjust the output volume of the sub manually with the sub's volume knob all the time. This would be an issue everytime you change the volume of your main speakers using the volume knob of the receiver.

To also control the output volume of the sub from the receiver's volume knob you should use a Sub-out, or the Pre-outs of the receiver, not the Rec/Tape-outs.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 26
When using the highlevel inputs on the subwoofer, the receiver isn't driving two sets of speakers and is in no danger of blowing. He doesn't have sub outs, which is the point of the thread. Maybe he has preouts, that's a good idea.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
When using the highlevel inputs on the subwoofer, the receiver isn't driving two sets of speakers

confused.gif

If anything, the woofer in the sub is a lot harder to drive than the speakers.

Jul 18, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 26
The sub is powered and is designed to take only the signal from the receiver. The receiver not actually sending power to the sub. I don't know the specific details, but I assume there are massive resistors on the sub's highlevel input end that prevent the receiver from delivering power to it unless it's designed to pass the power to satellites.

Jul 18, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 26
Are you sure about this?

I once wired the speaker cables from the amp output to the sub highlevel input, then from the sub's highlevel output to the speakers. The power from the amp was passed through the sub and reached the speakers.

Jul 18, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 26
Right. In that case, I wouldn't drive a pair of speakers off of A and ANOTHER pair of speakers off of B through the sub. But the sub itself doesn't draw significant power.

Jul 19, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 26
If I get a Creek 5350SE integrated amp and want to use my subwoofer for DVD movies for 2.1 channel sound, is the same thing? I'm assuming with integrated amps that have so subwoofer output you can use the sub on the B speaker output yes?

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 26
If your sub has highlevel inputs, yes. A/B outputs is reportedly for multiple room setups, but who knows.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rendition
What's the point of having A B speaker outputs if you can't use both at the same time?

Well the recevier has A/B, and usually there is no problems, but has also a limitation on the total output impedance it can handle (read the manual first), usually with 8ohms speakers there is no problems, but if you use two pairs of 4 ohms, be careful, 2 ohms is not a load that many could handle without problems....OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back