Subwoofer for a 2CH Speaker System?
Feb 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently swayed by the Velodyne DD-10 as it has some pretty rave reviews, and I really like its equalization function.

I've been using a Velodyne HGS 10 for a few years which is an older relative of the DD 10. I too needed a small sub and it still impresses me. The quality and quantity of bass is amazing for this tiny sub(under one square foot).

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 55
Buy 2x Anthony Gallo TR-1 subwoofers. My friend has two of them in his speaker setup and I have one "only". Main use is music listening and that's the reason why I bought it. It works for movies also but because of its small size can't produce that big pressures (not sure if this is the right term in english). It produces very fast bass with great impact. No problems keeping on track with some faster music and double basses.

Don't let its cheap retail price fool you. This subwoofer is a killer for music.

Gallo's TR-1 Powered Subwoofer

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 55
Re Gallo: cheap retail price for a 10" sub? Looks expensive to me (300 pounds is about $600 US, I believe?)

The general focus in subs seems to be spl rather than musicality. I've heard the HSU subs are musical. Also, the AV123 8" is supposed to be a good deal, when it's in stock. For music, 8" should do a good job. I have an 8" Athena sub in my bedroom, and it's pretty good with music. Unfortunately, it bottoms out terribly with very low sound effects. I suspect the 8" HSU would be a lot better.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 55
Since you guys are throwing ID brands around I figured I may was well play:

Home (Epik Subwoofers) are getting great reviews at Avs

as is: Elemental Designs

There is some wait time involved with the eD subs right now.

Personally I like the Hsu VTF3 Mk III as well as the AV123 MFW-15 (in rosewood which would match my speakers)

Good luck and post impressions when you get what you want.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 55
Wow, lots of subs. The Gallo looks pretty cool too!

Gotta do some more research. If anybody else has any more suggestions, feel free to send them this way!

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 55
A pair of AV123 MFW-15s for $999 looks interesting. Anyone happen to have some AV123 coupons for sale?
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 55
coupons?! you need a time machine for av123, their speakers are always back ordered. i swear they're holding back to create more buzz and anticipation, but it may backfire on them when people get tired of waiting and start buying other speakers.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coupons?! you need a time machine for av123, their speakers are always back ordered. i swear they're holding back to create more buzz and anticipation, but it may backfire on them when people get tired of waiting and start buying other speakers.

There is a good reason people wait for Av123 products.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 55
i don't doubt that there's a good reason. i'm saying that at a certain point, refusing to up their production capabilities to meet demand could backfire. buzz can only hold for so long before people will look into the next big ID company with affordable offerings.

that being said, i'll be waiting for the mfw15 reviews because that thing looks gorgeous. i'll also be looking into securing some xls for a setup, 6 months down the road when they're in stock. hehe

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't doubt that there's a good reason. i'm saying that at a certain point, refusing to up their production capabilities to meet demand could backfire. buzz can only hold for so long before people will look into the next big ID company with affordable offerings.

that being said, i'll be waiting for the mfw15 reviews because that thing looks gorgeous. i'll also be looking into securing some xls for a setup, 6 months down the road when they're in stock. hehe

I hear the BMF1 is coming out before 2010.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #27 of 55
The Bowers and Wilkins ASW CM has been a workhorse for me, using anywhere from multi-channel music to two channel setups, very musical and damn powerful. Of course its not available, but thought id throw my two cents in. I am a dealer for Velodyne, Paradigm and B&W. Paradigm makes pretty a good sub, but you have to spend $3500 to really get any type of musicality.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re Gallo: cheap retail price for a 10" sub? Looks expensive to me (300 pounds is about $600 US, I believe?)

They're little over 300EUR/piece here in Finland. I'd imagine that they're pretty much the same but in dollars for people in US.

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 55
As it stands right now it is going to be Hsu vs. av123. Really, whichever pops up first on Audiogon will be the one I'm picking up, I suppose!

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 55
I own two AV123 UFW-10 subs. They are phenomenal especially considering the price. Very musical, and absolutely gorgeous real wood veneer. Keep your eye open for one on A-gon. One would be enough for your situation IMO.

It's highly doubtful you'll find an MFW-15 on A-gon soon, since it's a new product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back