Subwoofer for a 2CH Speaker System?
Feb 23, 2008 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everybody (long time no see, yadda yadda)

I'm looking to purchase a subwoofer for my speaker system (listed in sig). I'm finding the bass to be a bit lacking with my Guarneris, especially with the genres of music I listen to. I am currently leaning towards either a Velodyne DD-12/15 or a Omega DeepHemp. I'm looking for a subwoofer that's impactful but not bloated; the primary purpose is to listen to music -- not games & movies.

This is my first foray into subs so I'm not entirely sure what I need, and thus here I am asking for help. As always, cheaper would be better (highly preferable in the < $1000 used range).

I only have a pair of pre-amp'd RCA outs available to plug into a sub, so hopefully that will be sufficient.

Thanks,
Adrian

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 55
also to consider are the various ID (internet direct) companies that receive very good reviews because of their lower overheads. Also important for subs is the size of the room they will be placed in as well as the dimensions, dynamics, etc, etc. that being said, there are 3 companies that i myself have considered in my search for a sub (or 2) for my home theatre set up.

3 subs come to mind (assuming that we're in a fairly large room)
1.HSU Research - Dr. Hsu from MIT has been very influential and significant in research and design of subwoofers, you can check out the very good review from audioholics of the hsu vtfmk3 sub here

2.AV123(Onix)- has just released news of their new MFW15 sub which is expected (given their track record) to be fantastic. it has already been reviewed (i think) by Craigsub(who is an internet celebrity of sorts in testing subwoofers, i believe he's over at audioholics and avsforum) and he was impressed. This is another solid choice, and the real wood veneer on the avs speakers is so pretty.

3.SVSound- is another company who's name comes up a lot in the "very good subs under 1000" category and they have a wide selection.

I would highly recommend reading up on audioholics/avsforum for more info. I tend to prefer the people over at audioholics better seeing as that they don't have forum categories like 'high end (over $10,000)' because i fundamentally disagree with this claim on so many levels. Anyhow, both are very good resources (Avs for the sheer quantity, and audioholics for their own perspective that is driven by the bottom line, what sounds good).

And, if you're looking in the below $500 range or so, there are also kits from Parts Express (the dayton ones) that have fairly good reviews, and the bic h-100 seems to be very popular in the closer to $200 range. Obviously these won't extend down to below 20hz (as some of these do) but they are good for the money. Once again, you can check out the various opinions over at the above mentioned forums.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 55
I have a Definitive Technology ProSub80 (on older model) and it is a very fast and musical sub. DD-12 is a monster and could be way too much bass for your needs.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 55
TheBends's choices are the ones I'd look into as well.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 55
Thanks for the detailed replies.

I was considering the SVS Cylinders as well, but I think that would be overkill for my needs. I am NOT a basshead at all.

I am currently swayed by the Velodyne DD-10 as it has some pretty rave reviews, and I really like its equalization function.

Also, my (dedicated) room is relatively small, so I'm looking for something in a small footprint, I think. The last thing I want really is room-shaking bass.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 55
Actually, now inching more towards an SVS PB12 Plus. Any thoughts? I'm just worried it might be too overkill for my 11x17 room.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 55
The Omega DeepHemp driver is actually a very fast a musical sub. It easily goes down the 25Hz and is very quick at keeping up with the rest of the drivers. I really think a "musical" sub is what you should have in your system.

I'm always wary of subwoofers in general due to speed and crossover points in relation to the room response. However, I have to say that the Omega Deephemp is an exception.

Good luck with your search.

~G

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 55
Feb 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 55
I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Hsu VTF-3 HO or MK3 now. However, I still need to source one. If anyone knows where I can buy a used one (shipping to US), please PM me -- it'd be greatly appreciated! :)

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 55
audiogon, ebay?, for sale sections of various forums (avs, audioholics, etc)

otherwise, buy directly?

on a side note, you can never worry about having too much bass, because you can back it off, "but if you can't have nothing at all, if there was nothing there all along."

man i want a hsu vtf3 with a turbo so bad, but i'll wait for the av123 mkw15 reviews....

That being said, i think a vtf2 mk3 might even be enough for your needs... its your call. you can't go wrong with hsu either way.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 55
I guess I'll just hound the 'gon until one pops up for sale. I won't be able to use it until April, anyways.

I'm not too sure about the turbocharger though. From impressions, it seems to extend the bass deeper but at the cost of distortion at other frequencies. However, it sure looks cool!

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not too sure about the turbocharger though. From impressions, it seems to extend the bass deeper but at the cost of distortion at other frequencies. However, it sure looks cool!

It's just a port extender that lengthens the frequency path and lowers the resonance frequency, sort of like how Bose puts a series of long passages in their small speakers in order to improve bass response.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 55
really only audiogon or avsforums, audioholics come to mind.

Totem makes some damn fast and musical subs btw.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Hsu VTF-3 HO or MK3 now. However, I still need to source one. If anyone knows where I can buy a used one (shipping to US), please PM me -- it'd be greatly appreciated! :)

There are none there now but I have seen them come up on a fairly regular basis on AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back