Subwoofer-fi - who uses really world-class ($1K+) subs?
Feb 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #31 of 132
One of the BEST sub setups I've heard in a 2ch / multi channel setup has been a buddy of mine's setup. Aragon Pre/Pro, Aragon 5x200w amp, ML Aeon-i mains, 2x ML Grotto subs, one L one R. For 2 channel audio it was absolutely amazing. The subs integrated very well I thought. I don't have details of where things were x'd over or levels or anything.

He's now combined his old 2ch system that used to have a Depth, so it's 2x Grotto, 1x Depth, and then the Mosaics as mains (No more Aeon-i's). Holy friggin crap it hammers. He's got the Grottos set up as L & R subs crossed over at 80, then the depth is crossed over at 40. Opening sequence of Transformers has enough punch to disembowel a moose. I have no idea how it's all set up in the Aragon Pre/Pro, but it does sound fan-damn-tastic for movies. For music it's just excessive.

Another solid sounding sub / sat setup for music that I've always liked is the Alon Napoleon's with the Alon Thunderbolt Sub. Pair that with a Jolida JD100 and Jolida 202A and it was an awesome little music system.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #32 of 132
Right now I'm happy how my SPL1000R integrates with my Audio Engine 5 speakers, which is originally intended for my Sonus Faber Concerto Home. For HT, I'm using DLS-3750R and now wants an upgrade to SVS PB13 Ultra for my HT and DD12 for my 2 channel Audio after got hooked with below:

Index to Subwoofer Tests by Manufacturer/Model - AV Talk - AV and Hi-Fi Forums

The SVS PB13 has impressive test result with flat response!

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old Velodyne HGS10 is still kicking it. Its MSRP was around $1800 when I bought it.

Of course I live in a small condo with paperthin walls, so I can't crank it like I used to. It can move pictures on my neighbor's walls.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I think I'm recalling you mention your HGS10 before. I bought my HGS10 for $900 NIB at a local shop when they were clearing house. I thought the MSRP was $1400.

I've had mine for over 4 years I think and I'm still impressed with it. Less than one cubic foot and it satisfies me and I'm a bit of a bass head( 2 tens in my truck). My room is about 12' x 22' and its enough...two of the 18" versions would be insane!

So of course, here is a pic of mine, then the clear version that my shop had on display.

1101078795044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

1100183458044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

1100183838044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

1100183909044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #34 of 132
Great pics! Velodyne subwoofers really are amazing.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 132
Right now i am using a REL R505 and waiting on the second one to arrive. i use them with a pr. of Harbeth Super HL5 speakers.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #39 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a pair of corner-located servo-controlled subwoofers - A Velodyne FSR-1500, and a Martin Logan Descent. This does the trick nicely - I get sub-20hZ response, but the combination of the servo-control and the low crossover point keeps the subs from coloring the rest of the music.

Anyone else here into super subs?

In my home theater rig, I use a Martin Logan Depth (one step down from the Descent). The bass output is so clean that it put my former HSU sub to shame. Indeed, at first I thought it wasn't putting out enough bass, but I realized that most other subs I'd heard were distorting or exaggerating the bass. This thing can really crank out the output volume, but it does so only when the content calls for it, as opposed to many subs that sound like there's lots of bass all the time.

For those not familiar with the Martin Logan Descent and Depth designs, they use three subwoofer cones arrayed at 120 degrees to each other. The movements of the cones cancel out each other's vibrations, so the cabinet is dead still even while playing really load. If you've ever put your hand on a Sunfire sub while it's playing, you won't believe that it's possible for a subwoofer to play as loudly as the Martin Logan with no discernable cabinet vibration. This driver configuration and motionless cabinet cut way down on audible distortion. As a bonus, the three drivers makes it harder to localize the bass. (See ML's explanation of the driver array at MartinLogan Descent i BalancedForce Servo-Controlled Subwoofer.) It really does work. Combined with servo-control, the bass is magnifique!

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 132
well,

I love my bass. But I find subwoofers in a proper stereo system not my cup of tea. I like my music as natural as possible.

I selected my home rig as carefull as possible to get the most natural and uncoloured sound out of it. I feel that a subwoofer adds to much coloration and some kind of 'unnaturalness' to the sound, no matter how good the subwoofer is.

let me put it this way;
I want to get those could shivers down my spine when I listen to the end of Guns 'n roses november rain, I want to feel hot and sweaty when I finished my beloved heavy-metal CD and I want to accidentally offer bono a drink assuming he's sitting right in front of me.

Now I've had some subwoofers in my system, and though they added some nice effects they just took away the experience of the music. The could rain sounded as a summer rain, the heavy-metal felt like being played in a sauna and bono was hiding in my speaker.

Now on songs like massive attack's unfinished sympathy or hoobastank's the reason the subwoofer (especially the REL's) made it a whole new experience and I was sold at first. But later on I noticed that the band had gone back into the speakers and left the base drum behind in my living room.

In the end I found that my speakers produced the bass in perfect proportions and accurately enough so there was no need for a subwoofer. It didn't do my CD's justice.

just my 2 cents

Rgds,

ric

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #42 of 132
Wow. So much Velodyne love in the house![size=small]![/size]

I to have an HGS-10, which is more than adequate for my 12' X 18' apartment living room. I set the cutoff at 50hz because my Vienna Acoustic Strauss's have an incredibly clean, fast bottom.
Yes, I take R10's off when I'm using it
smile.gif

Speakersetup.jpg

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JL Audio Fathom F112 is probably the best sounding sub I've heard - tremendous sound and power, but so accurate and distortion-free, it's amazing. Also very musical, even on things like double bass solos.

This is a good forum for subwoofer discussion, with a heavy emphasis on even frequency response and measurements: Home Audio Subwoofers - Home Theater Shack

I auditioned the F112, and Velodyne DD12, Before i bought my REL. At the store I thought the F112 was superior to both the REL and Velodyne (and the Thiel smart sub) But in my home the REL was the best performer, not sure if its because its run off the amp or what but it is perfectly integrated and sounds just like the Harbeths and Manley amps.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #44 of 132
immtbiker, super nice looking rig there! And go team Velodyne!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back