Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #796 of 981
Tbh, something simple like the early engineering prototype at a previous Canjam London 2022 would fit the bill for a regular edition. I'm picturing a black shell with golden recessed in-lay +/- subtle (non-chonky) swirls of the launch edition.

This would fall something along the lines of the simple designs of helios and triton. It would give some space for the accompanying nightjar cable to shine as a complete set. The chonkier swirls of the unfinished prototype looks kinda like a toy imo.

I'm not one to give too much feedback given that I'm not the target audience of the storm but thought i'd give my 2c given subtonic's the very design house i'm keen to keep an eye out for more affordable goodies in future. Looking forward to meeting the team and trying the titan & duality prototype this coming weekend.

1659442003689.png

Not my photo, found this downloaded into my gallery from the canjam london 2022 discussion. Apologies for lack of credits if you're the owner reading this.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #797 of 981
Honestly I would be happy with a faceplate closer to the Anni2023. I think those look great and it would probably be way easier and cheaper to manufacture such a faceplate while still retaining a polished gold look. You could probably still use the Storm's design just without the CNC and anodising effort.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #798 of 981
Honestly I would be happy with a faceplate closer to the Anni2023. I think those look great and it would probably be way easier and cheaper to manufacture such a faceplate while still retaining a polished gold look. You could probably still use the Storm's design just without the CNC and anodising effort.
Good idea! 👍

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #799 of 981
Personally, I would ditch the cloud faceplate for something simpler if it resulted with a lower price. While I get the challenges of scaling production, this is the first time that I’ve seen the Limited Edition version end up better looking and cheaper than the regular production version.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #800 of 981
Tbh, something simple like the early engineering prototype at a previous Canjam London 2022 would fit the bill for a regular edition. I'm picturing a black shell with golden recessed in-lay +/- subtle (non-chonky) swirls of the launch edition.

This would fall something along the lines of the simple designs of helios and triton. It would give some space for the accompanying nightjar cable to shine as a complete set. The chonkier swirls of the unfinished prototype looks kinda like a toy imo.

I'm not one to give too much feedback given that I'm not the target audience of the storm but thought i'd give my 2c given subtonic's the very design house i'm keen to keep an eye out for more affordable goodies in future. Looking forward to meeting the team and trying the titan & duality prototype this coming weekend.

1659442003689.png
Not my photo, found this downloaded into my gallery from the canjam london 2022 discussion. Apologies for lack of credits if you're the owner reading this.
This is actually a good design. It’s like “are you going to judge a book by its cover?”

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #801 of 981
Reunited back with the Storm. I have much better gear on hand to push these bad boys up the ladder, although I am quite enjoying them straight from the DX260 also.

It is sublime from the Mjolnir. I am currently using the Blue Hour 4W as I find the Mira 4W a little stiff, but I’ll likely upgrade that to Sov Symph soon.

Happy listening :)

IMG_9596.jpegIMG_9602.jpegIMG_9603.jpegIMG_9604.jpegIMG_9612.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #802 of 981
Reunited back with the Storm. I have much better gear on hand to push these bad boys up the ladder, although I am quite enjoying them straight from the DX260 also.

It is sublime from the Mjolnir. I am currently using the Blue Hour 4W as I find the Mira 4W a little stiff, but I’ll likely upgrade that to Sov Symph soon.

How about the soundstage? I've read somewhere Storm soundstage is lacking for a TOTL.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #803 of 981
How about the soundstage? I've read somewhere Storm soundstage is lacking for a TOTL.
Wide out of Envy, you'll appreciate that from looking at your sig. 👍

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #804 of 981

Nice! You ever "broke up " with STORM?

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #805 of 981
I think it depends what you are looking for. I wouldn't call it lacking, no. But if you're wanting something that is rather out of head or perhaps "stretched" then I don't think the Storm will be what you are looking for. It's more centered and in head but has very strong imaging capabilities.
Nice! You ever "broke up " with STORM?
I did indeed, a little over a year ago. At the time it wasn't quite what I was looking for but after spending more time with it at CanJam's and getting to experiment with more sources and cables I was able to tweak it to my liking. It's very reactive to different components in your chain.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #806 of 981
I think it depends what you are looking for. I wouldn't call it lacking, no. But if you're wanting something that is rather out of head or perhaps "stretched" then I don't think the Storm will be what you are looking for. It's more centered and in head but has very strong imaging capabilities.

I did indeed, a little over a year ago. At the time it wasn't quite what I was looking for but after spending more time with it at CanJam's and getting to experiment with more sources and cables I was able to tweak it to my liking. It's very reactive to different components in your chain.
Yea, STORM scales hard! Glad u reconcile with storm! Enjoy

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #807 of 981

1659442003689.png
I also really liked this shell design for the prototype. I think even if the entire iem was just this, but in black, it would be a good option for the Standard Edition storm

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #808 of 981
We hear you all! We will showcase the current STORM design for the upcoming CanJam Singapore show as well. Will gather feedback see what aesthetic tweaks we should make. Redesigning the faceplate was not a simple process in the past year due to CNC limitations with titanium.

We won't let you down with the release of the regular ver. STORM. We looooove the aesthetics of the Launch Ed STORM; and have decided that those 50 will remain extra special for the first 50 folks that believed in us at the very start.

Rest assured, we won't rush anything when it concerns product launches. We don't intend to take orders for STORM during CanJam. Regular Ed STORM is ready when it's ready. We've always adovcated for slow release cycles and will continue to do so, so that we can deliver an excellent product consistently.

Thank you all!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 2, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #810 of 981
Rest assured, we won't rush anything when it concerns product launches. We don't intend to take orders for STORM during CanJam. Regular Ed STORM is ready when it's ready. We've always adovcated for slow release cycles and will continue to do so, so that we can deliver an excellent product consistently.
I think potential customers would like you to produce a nice faceplate and to do so swiftly, not either or… :wink:

Good luck with the design and launch. I will not hold my breath and forget about it for now. Maybe in 2025! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back