Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #781 of 981
320MAX, PB5, MASS-kobo 475 and Mojo2/Sinfonia are excellent pairings. Diablo 2 it's decent.
Forgot to mention the mighty Enleum HPA-23RM. Amazing bass and note weight. Resolution is top notch.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #782 of 981
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #783 of 981
I tried the Storm at the Amsterdam meeting with my 300 MAX. I thought it drove it fairly well but it took most of the available headroom. I have two very capable desktop chains and two portable amps (C9, PB5) that would all welcome the opportunity to drive the Storm. The one missing item is ... well, you know what ... :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #784 of 981
I wouldn't go so far to say you won't get "the full Storm experience" unless using desktop gear but I will say that Storm has bags of potential and does indeed scale very well with source.

Basically the polite way of what you're saying without implying anyone would be missing out using portable gear, it just depends how far you want to chase that cherry on top. It's like Storm with 320MAX / Symph give you the cake and the icing, still a super tasty treat, but swap 320M out for something that's more seat bound and you get the cherry on top. It's already superb with portable gear, just depends on use case, preference, budget etc etc.

One thing I will say though is tubes definitely add some special sauce to the top end, so even though I've not heard it, I can appreciate why DAP+PB5 is getting such a warm welcome with Storm.

I concur with this statement. Yes STORM is definitely a unique IEM that gives you a life-long journey to find out when it will stop its scaling capability, but a DAP like 320MAX is definitely an optimal pairing (enough) for STORM. iBasso PB5 was recently praised by a couple of headfiers who own STORM as it gives more extended highs and lows, bigger soundstage, a bit of warmth, taking it out of the more usual dry presentation. But if one does have infinite budget and interest, desktop amps will give STORM a way more elevated experience. In this case I have tried STORM with Hugo TT2 and Mass Kobo 465, and it does raise STORM to the next level (perhaps high-end headphone level) in terms of res, stage, imaging, black background, realism, texture, etc. but definitely comes at a cost and loses its purpose as a portable device. Although that won't stop me from plugging in STORM into crazy amps to hear crazy possibilities :relieved:

There are many degrees as to how STORM may be enjoyed, but yeah in terms of portability, 320MAX, N30LE, RS8 are sufficient or i'd say optimal DAPs for it and portable Amps such as PB5, MK475, Enleum HPA-23RM, Tsuranagi, Hugo 2, etc. are definitely powerful enough, as well as give STORM different flavours.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #785 of 981
I got to try @slumberman's Storm with the Sovereign Symphony cable at the recent Amsterdam meet up.
I thought the sound was pretty darn good straight out of my N30LE, even though it is not seen as a source that can drive Storm to its full potential.

I also recall liking it out of my Hugo 2 and, even more so, out of my DAVE+Mscaler stack.

@Chang are there any plans for a follow-up that retains Storm's sound profile but isn't as ridiculously difficult to drive? This seems to be the only IEM out there that seems to require desktop-level amplification to work well, which also means that the use case is rather limited.
I think it would be best not to conflate scaling potential with being difficult to drive. Even out of moderately powered DAPs, like the R6PII, I would still think that most people will hear STORM as more than deserving of it's summit-fi status when compared to its peers. We designed STORM to comfortably achieve ultra-flagship levels of performance even out of reasonably powerful dongles. The scalability is simply a bonus on top of that due to the no compromise design. As portable sources, players and amps continue to improve at an exponential rate, STORM will be well positioned to take advantage of these improvements, providing a level of organic, in-built future-proofing. This also allows users to experience a whole new level of performance from IEMs, with a no-holes-barred IEM design like STORM's being able to truly take full advantage of a top tier desktop chain.

How about Pairing Storm with Xudoo XD05 Pro ? Does it has good synergy ?
XD05 Pro does drive STORM pretty well, it is on the neutral side so do be aware of that if you're someone who prefers more flavour.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #786 of 981
I think it would be best not to conflate scaling potential with being difficult to drive. Even out of moderately powered DAPs, like the R6PII, I would still think that most people will hear STORM as more than deserving of it's summit-fi status when compared to its peers. We designed STORM to comfortably achieve ultra-flagship levels of performance even out of reasonably powerful dongles. The scalability is simply a bonus on top of that due to the no compromise design. As portable sources, players and amps continue to improve at an exponential rate, STORM will be well positioned to take advantage of these improvements, providing a level of organic, in-built future-proofing. This also allows users to experience a whole new level of performance from IEMs, with a no-holes-barred IEM design like STORM's being able to truly take full advantage of a top tier desktop chain.

XD05 Pro does drive STORM pretty well, it is on the neutral side so do be aware of that if you're someone who prefers more flavour.
XD05 Pro can replaceable DAC to ROHM or AKM. Which one is suitable?

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #787 of 981
I've heard good things about both. I've personally only tried the ESS. Maybe others who have tried all the modules can comment further.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #788 of 981

I've heard good things about both. I've personally only tried the ESS. Maybe others who have tried all the modules can comment further.
Most people prefer the stock ESS DAC. I haven’t tried either of the other options but would love to try the R2R version which is only rumored, not available yet.

(Edit) Question deleted, it has already been answered above.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #789 of 981
I should really unpack, finish my taxes and get ready for my business trip next week but I couldn’t resist trying my new Mass kobo 475 that I acquired from @Smirk 24
It’s absurd how good Storm sounds off a variety of source chains.
IMG_4354.jpeg

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #790 of 981
Cross posting for clarity:

Hey everyone, we would just like to clarify some things. The design of the shell is not final and is the latest revision we had on hand to give a rough idea of the adjustments that will be made. The canvas case in the video is also not the regular edition case and is a simple case we use internally. The final leather case is similar in design to the launch edition case, using olive Badalassi Carlo Minerva Box instead of the Pueblo that that was used for the launch edition for a more robust feel. It will be on display at CanJam Singapore. The "dirty" finishing is one of the main issues we have been facing with the PVD coating and we have rejected around 5 sample runs of faceplates. Entirely our bad for not communicating this to Head-Fi team better, so we beg your pardon for the confusion.

As for the design we hear you, there are definitely still adjustments that we want to make but we wanted to get feedback on the general idea of the clear enamel over the black anodised backing plate. For those attending CanJam SG we'd still like your feedback on the clear enamel + backing plate combination when you see it in person. There were a lot of limitations with the current CNC suppliers that forced us to simplify the design, and we are not entirely happy with it ourselves. Given the struggles we are facing with the finishing and machining we will probably go back to the drawing board to make further adjustments.

We have been going through some internal restructuring recently which has also led to some delays and communication interruptions, but now that we are past that we hope that we can expedite things and serve everyone better. Honest feedback is always appreciate but regardless we are still sorry for the confusion. Thanks again to everyone for your continuous support and we hope to have more news on the STORM Regular Edition soon. Do drop by the Zeppelin and Co. room during CanJam Singapore to give the STORM a go if you haven't. Mass-Kobo will also be in the same room as us so you can give the awesome combination of the STORM + 465 a go as well. Aside from that, Titan, Crimson and Meteor will also be available for demo alongside the Singularity, Duality prototype and all our cables. Drop by for a listen, or even just to say hi, see you there!

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #791 of 981

Hey everyone, we would just like to clarify some things. The design of the shell is not final and is the latest revision we had on hand to give a rough idea of the adjustments that will be made. The canvas case in the video is also not the regular edition case and is a simple case we use internally. The final leather case is similar in design to the launch edition case, using olive Badalassi Carlo Minerva Box instead of the Pueblo that that was used for the launch edition for a more robust feel. It will be on display at CanJam Singapore. The "dirty" finishing is one of the main issues we have been facing with the PVD coating and we have rejected around 5 sample runs of faceplates. Entirely our bad for not communicating this to Head-Fi team better, so we beg your pardon for the confusion.

As for the design we hear you, there are definitely still adjustments that we want to make but we wanted to get feedback on the general idea of the clear enamel over the black anodised backing plate. For those attending CanJam SG we'd still like your feedback on the clear enamel + backing plate combination when you see it in person. There were a lot of limitations with the current CNC suppliers that forced us to simplify the design, and we are not entirely happy with it ourselves. Given the struggles we are facing with the finishing and machining we will probably go back to the drawing board to make further adjustments.

We have been going through some internal restructuring recently which has also led to some delays and communication interruptions, but now that we are past that we hope that we can expedite things and serve everyone better. Honest feedback is always appreciate but regardless we are still sorry for the confusion. Thanks again to everyone for your continuous support and we hope to have more news on the STORM Regular Edition soon. Do drop by the Zeppelin and Co. room during CanJam Singapore to give the STORM a go if you haven't. Mass-Kobo will also be in the same room as us so you can give the awesome combination of the STORM + 465 a go as well. Aside from that, Titan, Crimson and Meteor will also be available for demo alongside the Singularity, Duality prototype and all our cables. Drop by for a listen, or even just to say hi, see you there!
Thank you for the transparent reply. The launch edition feels special in hand. I don’t own one but had the privilege of listening.

Whilst I would suggest keeping it simple and affordable, the internet is a harsh place. Often judged before seeing or feeling in person.

If you knocked a few hundred dollars off release and had a plain faceplate option … I reckon people would take you up on it.

Mentality is already that launch rrp is rumoured to be more than the LE so…

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #792 of 981

Should have sold most of my gears and saved up seriously for the launch edition. Didn’t realise it was such a great value over the normal edition.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #793 of 981

Thank you @Chang for your great reply and transparency.

I'm considering buying the Storm regular edition and, quite honestly, I was disappointed when I saw what seemed to be the final design. Usually I don't care too much about the optical appearance of IEMs or headphones but Storm is in my opinion so damn beautiful that probably every change to the faceplate will be a downgrade.

Once I was browsing with my phone on the couch and my wife (who doesn't care too much about my audio addiction and never comments anything she sees on my screen when I'm on audio related content) said "Wow. Now these are really beautiful". Yes, they are that great. I even had the chance to see them in person, thanks to @antdroid and they are as great in person as on photos!

Isn't there any chance to just use the launch edition version for the regular one? Maybe just with slight differences so you can still see the differences?

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #795 of 981
🤣 made my day.

Coming from Subtonic, this is pure gold. I appreciate how you guys handle this mild crapSTORM regarding faceplates 👏

But still. Mom, can we have the nice version pretty please? 🤘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back