Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #721 of 981
Why use low gain on DX320 MAX TI, especially with Storm 😂
I would go straight for the Gain 4 setting.
I pretty much went straight to gain 4 with storm haha. If I'm paying for the gains I'm using all of it :triumph:

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #723 of 981
I use gain one and hardly ever go to max volume with that setting and Storm. To each its own!
Less is sometimes better. For me, less gain means more focus on vocals, for example. The same applies to cables: the difference between 4w and 8w for me is that with the 8w everything is bigger, stronger but also somehow more diffuse / less focused. Whether that's good or bad is up to you. So I can totally understand if even Storm is operated with low gain.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #724 of 981
I use the 2nd gain on 320MAX usually with Storm. Also want to reduce noise as the reason. There's really no reason to higher gain imo, but depends on your listening levels I guess. That said, my 320MAX is dead. Gotta send it back for warranty service. :frowning2:

I've been using Storm with Fiio M15S, on ultra high gain + all to DSD + desktop mode though. So.... I'm a hypocrite. It sounds great lol.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #725 of 981
*LOL* :upside_down:

My understanding is that low gain, and higher on the stepped attenuator was lower noise floor, but that might be not true, or inconsequential.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

From my experience with DX320 MAX TI there won’t be any significant difference with noise levels, while additional power could contribute to better dynamics and definition, but I agree that different gain levels would emphasize different parts of FR, with lower
levels being more mid-focused and more spacious sounding, especially with
lower impedance gear.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #726 of 981
I know the regular Storm is coming soon, but if anyone has a set of launch edition they are willing to part with I’m buying. :)

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #728 of 981
I thought you sold your Orpheus?
Sold my original one a while back, but bought it again. Pairs amazingly well with the Storm when I demoed it at Elise. Now just need to find one !

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #729 of 981
From my experience with DX320 MAX TI there won’t be any significant difference with noise levels, while additional power could contribute to better dynamics and definition, but I agree that different gain levels would emphasize different parts of FR, with lower
levels being more mid-focused and more spacious sounding, especially with
lower impedance gear.
This. Ruled out I/IV and liking II / III for now, also preferring UAPP vs native Mango. This is only after 12hrs play so take with a pinch of salt. Also using Mira 2W at the moment so that'll no doubt all change again in a couple of weeks once max is settled and symphony arrives.

@Tokpakorlo long time man, hope you're keeping well! Don't suppose you got to hear them out of MK 394 ii when you were there? Did you take AE with you? (FYI / O/T, never really explored Knopfler past DS days but Shangri-la is a belter, well worth a listen).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #731 of 981
Exploring the possibility of Storm.

Reading through the threads there was talk of Tempest … but I could find much on it and saw a post it had been scrapped?

Wouldn’t mind an update as to how the regular storm editions are coming along and availability :)

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #732 of 981

Reading through the threads there was talk of Tempest … but I could find much on it and saw a post it had been scrapped?

Wouldn’t mind an update as to how the regular storm editions are coming along and availability :)
I believe the latest update is that the regular edition will be launched in February sometime.

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #733 of 981

Hello, thank you for your interest, unfortunately Tempest no longer exists. The change in project codename is due to a new design, hence not using the old codename. Prototype results are positive, we are working on the cable and faceplate design now, tentatively planning to showcase during CanJam Singapore this year.

For STORM regular edition, we are working on the faceplates as mentioned here. Prototyping has already been completed with positive results. We are waiting for production faceplates to arrive so that we can show some photos.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Feb 5, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #734 of 981
I believe the latest update is that the regular edition will be launched in February sometime.
I believe it's been delayed to approximately April.

Certainly keen although exploring options on acquiring one ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back