Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #931 of 981
Anyway...

Storm with 320MAX EXN. Just got this back from Steve...

Had a chat with him before hand to get an idea of what to expect / any significant change to sound. All changes are basically keeping to design spec but moved to top of the line caps etc (like Audio Note) and op amps swapped out for OPA1656.

Was a little bit hesitant as I did this with AMP12 for 320 and out of the box really didn't tick a box for me (sold 320 a few days later) but this is sounding great already so looking forward to getting the hours on it

I think this will be the end of the chase for me with portable for Storm, I'll update once I've put some decent hours on it.

1000015818.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #932 of 981
Anyway...

Had a chat with him before hand to get an idea of what to expect / any significant change to sound. All changes are basically keeping to design spec but moved to top of the line caps etc (like Audio Note) and op amps swapped out for OPA1656.

Was a little bit hesitant as I did this with AMP12 for 320 and out of the box really didn't tick a box for me (sold 320 a few days later) but this is sounding great already so looking forward to getting the hours on it

I think this will be the end of the chase for me with portable for Storm, I'll update once I've put some decent hours on it.

1000015816.jpg
Keep us posted!
I have the same configuration (and same case 🇺🇦) , worked with Steve several times and love his passion and expertise. I am interested in sending mine as well so I’m very curious.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #933 of 981
Keep us posted!
I have the same configuration (and same case 🇺🇦) , worked with Steve several times and love his passion and expertise. I am interested in sending mine as well so I’m very curious.
Will do. Down side is I won't really be able to give any direct comparison to stock as it's been too long since I've heard it!

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #935 of 981
Initial thoughts are the bass is strong, top end needs to flesh out but no brightness, vocals already sound good. Catch up in about 10 days! 😅

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #936 of 981
Anyway...

1000015818.jpg

I really need to get a DAP to take care of portable use. It's not often for me at the moment and honestly my iPhone dongle 🤭 is doing fine for these quick 10 minute sessions but I pick might up the M15s.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #937 of 981
I really need to get a DAP to take care of portable use. It's not often for me at the moment and honestly my iPhone dongle 🤭 is doing fine for these quick 10 minute sessions but I pick might up the M15s.
Surprised you haven't grabbed an M15s by now tbh just to satisfy curiosity!

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #938 of 981
Surprised you haven't grabbed an M15s by now tbh just to satisfy curiosity!

Haha to elaborate I was talking about the FiiO DAP. I had one a while ago and I found its price/performance ratio really good and I think FiiO have done a good job at putting good amplification into their DAPs over the recent years.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #939 of 981
Haha to elaborate I was talking about the FiiO DAP. I had one a while ago and I found its price/performance ratio really good and I think FiiO have done a good job at putting good amplification into their DAPs over the recent years.
Yeah, I know, and I know it's been on your radar for Storm. Get it done! :smiley::wink:

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #940 of 981
All of a sudden, this thread is full of audience :joy:

"are we in the right thread? guys? any info on the Regular Edition Storm release? i just want that info please... help? Why do i feel like i'm in the wrong thread :scream: I'm lost.."

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #941 of 981
It's an intriguing and worthy discussion to be sure, but I am considering moving all of it to it's own thread somewhere, so that we stop derailing this one.

I have to imagine there are some, perhaps many, followers of this thread who'd like to return to the good old days of Storm-centric chatter. Maybe this?

StormEditions.png

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #942 of 981
It's an intriguing and worthy discussion to be sure, but I am considering moving all of it to it's own thread somewhere, so that we stop derailing this one.

I have to imagine there are some, perhaps many, followers of this thread who'd like to return to the good old days of Storm-centric chatter. Maybe this?

StormEditions.png

I personally got 'Starry Night' vibes from the faceplate, but this is so much better.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #943 of 981
I personally got 'Starry Night' vibes from the faceplate, but this is so much better.
I feel like I’m in the minority that likes the “cuter” and less busy design on the right more than the original on the left. If memory serves a lot of people didn’t like the redesign, but I love it.

It's not bad in isolation, but the launch edition established expectations, which I think is a large part of the disconnect for many.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #944 of 981

StormEditions.png
I actually think initial impressions were maybe jumping the gun. I'd be happy with either given the sound the make TBH!

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #945 of 981
I actually think initial impressions were maybe jumping the gun. I'd be happy with either given the sound the make TBH!

I think(?) I saw a RE in NYC when I demo'd Storm and honestly I thought it looked fine. In pictures next to the launch edition it definitely isn't as appealing, but I still liked it. It wouldn't have stopped me from buying one if I wasn't able to hunt down a launch edition myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back