substitution for CS8412CP TDA1543??
May 15, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
Are there chips that can be substituted in place of these for building of a diy dac?
CS8412CP

The CS8414, but you'll need and SOIC28 to DIP adapter if you're making a direct substitution. And it's being discontinued, so the next move is to the CS8416, but it it not pin compatible.

Quote:

TDA1543

That one will be trouble.

If you're looking for suggestions, I'd say look at CS8416. For the DAC, there are several from TI that will do a very good job and TI's support is very helpful - I've sent emails back and forth with their engineers to work out the best method for integrating their DACs with Cirrus's receivers.

There are tons of designs for the 8412 and 8414 with the TDA1543, but as you've discovered, those parts aren't in production anymore. You can find them if you look, but why not consider something new?

-Drew

May 15, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 45
If you're having trouble finding these IC's, http://www.audioworkshop.com.hk/index_en.htm has them both (click on "ordering page"). I've bought stuff from them a couple of times without problems
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: Not the CS8412, but the CS8414 and a suitable adapter
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 45
Thanks guys for the info. will look into this more. shame they are not going to make these anymore seems they was the chips of choice for diy dac's.

drewd if you know of chips that are better from TI please let me know it might help cut down the searhing aswell as help others thinking of building dac's

May 15, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 45
If you are considering a totally new DIY build you could check the PCM1702 and PCM1704 from TI and the AD1865 from Analog Devices.I would add the AD1851/61 but it is being phased out so may not be easy to find.

If you have a source for the truly out of date then add the PCM56,PCM63 and AD1862 to your list of possibles

May 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 45
There's so much to say that we don't know where to begin with.

What is exactly your goal ? What are your design criteria ?

SPDIF input only ?
Digital filtering or not ? Oversampling or not ?
What kind of DAC are you willing to consider ? Technology and packages (smd or dip)
What kind of output stage ? Opamp, passive, discrete, transformer, tube ?
How easy to build should it be ?
How cheap/expensive should it be ?
How familliar are you with grounding and layout ?

May 16, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 45
@00940

SPDIF input and out if it can be done as well as rca input and outputs
8x Oversampling
smd or dip does not matter right now
Opamp for now. not looking to build a tube amp right now
How easy to build should it be ? does not have to go together in a day
How cheap/expensive should it be ? cheap would be fine
How familliar are you with grounding and layout ? not to familliar i have books on this subject as well as some other readings on amps.

May 16, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 45
If you stick around a little while DaKi][er will hopefully have his design down pat soon. With any luck there'll be a group buy for the boards.

CS8416 receiver
2x PCM1704 DAC
DF1704 Digital filter.
Dac and receiver were isolated via ISO150
Posibility for balanced output.
S/PDIF and USB inputs.

I'm looking forward to seeing this design ratified. A friend has a NAIM CD5x which uses the PCM1704 and if Daki][er's dac is even half as good it will definatly be worth it.

May 17, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 45
I thought that the big advantage of the TDA1543 for DIY projects was that its output voltage (current?) was high enough that it didn't require a gain stage. Is there a DAC in production with a similar high output?

May 17, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 45
the "advantage" of the tda1543 is that it outputs some strong current so you can use just a resistor as current to voltage converter. You could find some other chips allowing you to do that. But you're just overcharging the output section of the dac.

Otherwise, there are many chips out there with voltage out. But most just include an opamp inside the dac chip.
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 45
Yes the best albeit the most complex idea is still to take the weak current output and whack some opamp or some other form of I/V conversion with an incredible slew rate on the end.

May 17, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 45
All of the DAC chips I listed above have a current output pin which means you need to convert this current to a voltage so it can be used in the system.
A passive resistor is the most elegant but can be lacking in dynamics.If active stages are used think CFB Amp and not Op amp if a monolithic device (opamp is a voltage feedback amp).
Another "possible" is an FET or MOSFET IV stage with an output transformer to break up and eliminate any digital ground noise plus add the low output Z for cable driving.

to use the internal IV stage of the chips you must tie the current output and voltage outs together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back