Substantial Gear Upgrade: Help Wanted!
Sep 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

InsanityOne

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I will start by posting my current Amp / DAC / Digital Interface set-up below: (I use ACSS interconnects and USB to the DI and then Coaxial from the DI to the NFB-2)

Amp - Audio-gd C2.1: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2new/C2.1EN.htm

DAC - Audio-gd NFB-2 (2011 ver.): http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm

Digital Interface - Audio-gd DI (ver. 1): http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/Digital1EN.htm

The above gear has treated me really well over the past year or so, but now I have the itch to reach higher. I really want to get a balanced Amp / DAC combo for around the $1000 - $1500 mark. That being said, I want the new combo to be a "noticeable" improvement over my current set up, so hopefully that can be achieved. As of right now, I am currently considering the two combinations below, but I am definitely open to suggestions / recommendations!

A few last notes here. I would really like to keep the Amp solid state, I am not a big fan of having to mess with tubes. I would also like the DAC to have USB input as my computer / server / NAS is my main audio source. Finally, I am not opposed to Amp / DAC combos either. Ideally, I would really like to purchase the Audio-gd Master 11 or NFB-27H but sadly I just don't have a $1700 - $2100 budget right now!

Thanks In Advance!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 5
  Which headphones is this gear for?  Beyerdynamic T5p?

Yes, it will be my modified pair of T5p's. My apologies for not clarifying that in the OP. But, I do not want to limit my purchase based on what headphones I plan / don't plan to use with this new setup in the future. I can say though, that I will not be attempting to use the Hifiman He-6. 

- InsanityOne 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Well you do have good equipment right now.  Headphones are the most important part of the chain, so I recommend trying out new headphones instead of an amp/DAC upgrade.  But I will say that the Burson Conductor was the first thing that came to mind after reading your first post.  Not sure if you'd do better by just getting the Soloist and a different DAC though.  

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 5
  Well you do have good equipment right now.  Headphones are the most important part of the chain, so I recommend trying out new headphones instead of an amp/DAC upgrade.  But I will say that the Burson Conductor was the first thing that came to mind after reading your first post.  Not sure if you'd do better by just getting the Soloist and a different DAC though.  

Hmm, I think the gear I have right now would be considered "mid-fi" and I am looking to head more towards the "summit-fi" direction. I just recently purchased my T5p's and am really enjoying the sound signature and quality but am still looking to try my hand at a balanced set-up.

I really like the line-up that Burson offers, but sadly they do not have any balanced options at this point.

Edit: After doing some more looking, maybe something like the Oppo HA-1 would be more suited to me? It is an all-in-one combination while still being fully balanced? At $1,200 new it seems like a good deal.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back