Sub questions
Sep 29, 2003 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of purchasing a sub in the not so distant future and would like some input on various models. I have thought about the PSB Subsonic 5, Paradigm PDR-8, or a NHT passive sub. I would want it to be quick as it is to be used entirely for music, and to integrate well with my PSB Alphas. From what I read, the NHT subs would fit the bill perfectly but I am confused about how I would set it up. Being passive, do I drive it from my reciever? I only have a two channel reciever (1980 Sansui TA-500), so how would that work? Please feel free to add any other recommendations. Thanks. PB

Sep 29, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 19
ok this might sound crazy...but you should seriously consider the partsexpress.com $125 10" 100 watt subwoofer.

it's known as the "tiny mity II"

i have the original version and it is probably the best subwoofer that's less than $300 (besides DIY)

it isn't the best looking sub...but it is built very solid (1/2"-3/4" MDF with a good deal of bracing inside...it weighs 35lbs) and it features a very nice dayton 10" driver

as for the passive thing...you'll need to buy an amp for it...you can use an old stereo receiver or a real sub amp like those found at parts express

Sep 29, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 19
I tend to shy away from DIY audio projects, but I will look into that piece. Has anyone had experience with the Paradigm subs? The reviews I have been reading, particuraly for the PDR-10, look great. Does anyone know how well these integrate with small monitors? Oh yes, my room is fairly small (13x13x7.5?). I really would like to find something under $275 if that if possible.

Sep 29, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Paradigm subs are as accurate as they get, they will NEVER be boomy, and too many, they sound underpowered, but that's their nature, I think you should try one out before you buy it, since a lot don't like it, the Servo-15 has some power (400W), so it doesn't have the problem, but it's expensive...I've heard good things about the Parts Express DIY subs, especially the 12" Titanic Mk.II, which is like 400 bucks
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 19
the 10" 100 watt PE sub isn't a kit...it's prebuilt for $125

my opinions on best subs for the money....

the PE 10" sub- $125

the PE titanic kit- $350 or the EZsub14 kit from creativesound.ca for $320ish shipped

Adire Rava- $400

Hsu VTF-2- $450-500

then SVS from there on up

Sep 30, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 19
If you go with a passive sub you will need a power amp, and you will probably want a variable electronic crossover. But, for your budget you are probably better off going with a powered sub. May want to check out E-bay, or Audiogon.

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 19
yeah, you probably don't want the passive sub. most subs that have built in amps have built in crossovers too. so they are really easy to integrate into your existing system. many subs also have inputs for all 5 channels of surround sound, if you want to use it that sort of environment too.

anyway, normally you would hook up your source, or preamp outs to the sub. then take the sub's outputs and connect them to the loudspeaker's amps. pretty easy. if you get a passive sub that doesn't come with a controller, you're gonna end up with a much more complex system.

also... you didn't mention what loudspeakers you're using. you probably don't want the biggest subs for tiny monitors... it'll just not be very balanced. but if you have modestly large speakers to big ass speakers, i would recommend the Bag End Infrasub 18"..... these things are badass! they have a measured bass extension down to 8hz!!!!!! and no, they ain't lying on their specs. Bag End is well known in the pro audio world, and i have no doubt they are plenty serious with this amp. no, you cannot hear 8hz, but you can feel it!!! if i had a home theater, these would be my dream subs... even if i had a choice of more expensive models. the infra sub retails for about $1500, but i saw it on ebay for $800-900 before.

if you want even more juice than the infrasub, bag end sells professional systems that include double 18" woofers + custom controller (their controller is required for 8hz operation.) but that's big bucks. supply your own amp too.

...for powered systems, i still recommend pro recording hardware above all else. Mackie and Genelec both introduced dedicated subs for their powered monitors... but prices range from $1500 for low end mackies and genelecs all the way to $8000+ for the bigger genelec subs.

personally, i use the NHTPro B-20 dual-sub system ($2000.) but i probably wouldn't recommend them for any other speakers than the A-20's. they don't shake the room like many subs... and don't sound as deep. but they match the a-20's sound very well and are very accurate. but probably not very impressive in an audiophile system. though if you want accurate and non-exaggerated bass, you could try them out. plus they're stereo (can be switched mono via remote--also has bypass on remote,) which is interesting. theoretically stereo-ness shouldn't matter in bass frequencies... but the subs do produce some sound in the higher-range. so.... i dunno. i have them mounted on 26" stands just like stereo monitors.... sounds great to me.

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

also... you didn't mention what loudspeakers you're using.

i could have sworn he said something about psb alphas.

Oct 5, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 19
I have primarily PSB speakers, including the mentioned PSB Subsonic 5. In general, when auditioning in that price range, I liked PSB first and Paradigm a very close second--very similar sound and design philosophy. I think you'd be fine with the PSB Sub 5 or the Paradigm PDR-10. I'd take the PSB over the Paradigm PDR-8 because the PSB is a 10-inch sub and has more impact than the PDR-8. But between the two 10" subs, both very nice fo the price.

Oct 5, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 19
Velodyne will be great at your price-point.

I prefer Velodyne to the PSBs, Paradigms, and Def Techs in the same price range.

Oct 5, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Velodyne, REL.... M&K if you're feeling norti...

For music, i'd go for a sealed enclosure. I find reflex loaded enclosures "boom" more than sealed box varieties, which makes them good for movies and explosions and stuff, but can be interpreted as sluggish and boomy for music...

B&W is putting out excellent sealed subs that are also very musical...

Oct 5, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I picked up a pair of ACI Force subs a couple of days ago and they sound pretty good. My room is a bit on the small side, but the bass that comes out is very tight and keeps up with the monitors fine. Integration is quite good too. You can read reviews of the ACI Force here:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi..._subwoofer.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back