Sub-$300 Upgradeitis Cure? Help!
Dec 1, 2007 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

phyrefly

100+ Head-Fier
I am basically looking for a major step up from my MS-1 and something that will stop me from ever thinking of upgrading
biggrin.gif

What I'm essentially looking for is a headphone that will retain the excitement of the MS-1, while improving on deficiencies like zero soundstage, not too great separation of instruments and somewhat harsh highs. Bass quantity could also be improved, although I really like the quick and snappy MS-1 bass.

I'm thinking of venturing out of the Grado line, since although Grados are wonderful when paired with rock, I'd like something more well-rounded.

I will not be listening to classical or jazz. Most of my music consists of rock (no 'hard'-rock/metal though) and pop with a lot of vocals. 'Involvement' is top priority, i.e. not anything with a laid-back sound. I will also use it for games and movies, but music is by far the first priority.

I have narrowed down a list of headphones that fit my budget(new or used).

-Senn HD650
-Senn HD600
-Senn HD595*
-Beyer DT880/2005
-Denon D2000
-AKG K701
-Sony SA3000
-Goldring DR150
-AT ATH-W1000*
-Did I miss any?

Final list:
***Beyer DT990 (2005 or Pro?)
***AKG K701
***Senn HD580

The headphone will be used unamped and driven by a DAP or sound card. For reference, volume range is 4/25 to 7/25 on the Zen Xtra for all my current headphones.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 16
The Beyerdynamic DT880 should fit your bill. They're forward and detailed like a Grado, but more well rounded. There's a new pair on eBay for $219 right now. Go read up on the DT880. They're an often overlooked yet excellent headphone.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lack of an amp will kill most of those options. At least from what I've heard, the Denons are a pretty good bet unamped.

I do plan on getting an amp eventually, but with my budget, I can only afford a headphone right now
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lack of an amp will kill most of those options.

I agree with this on more then one level.

First, without an amp you'll never break free of upgradeitis because you'll always have in the back of your mind "I wonder what this will sound like amped?"

Second, the setup I would recommend to fend off upgradeitis for a long while would be a HD650 or K701 (depending on your preference) with a good $200-$300 desktop amp. To really get further up the chain (instead of just sidegradeing) you would need to spend more then double, and the $1000+ pricetag of that usually keeps ugradeitis at bay for purely practical reasons.

That being said, upgradeitis does not afflict everyone. I was happy with my HD600 + META42 for years, until the HD600 broke and I started looking into the 650 which led me into looking at all the great new Chinese amps . . . you can see where this is going.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 16
Which headphones will perform well without an amp? (Denon, Beyers, ...?)

I simply do not have the funds to purchase both an amp and one of these headphones :/

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am basically looking for a major step up from my MS-1 and something that will stop me from ever thinking of upgrading
biggrin.gif

The NIH and CDC have spent 4.3 Billion USD over the past 20 years looking for a cure for upgradeitis and still have not come close. If you are able to discover a cure for under $300 please tell me. My bank account and US taxpayers will be forever grateful.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm planning on doing the same sort of buy as you myself pretty much in a couple of months. I generally sway to Audio-Technica so I'm gonna try for a W1000 myself (i'm a sucker for the wood too!), which I think can be run alright unamped cause of the low Impedance? Although I have a little mini-amp I'm getting soon anyways.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 16
My Headroom Micro 2005 is busted so I'm using my K701 unamped out of a MacBook Pro. It still has the beautiful tone and demanding immediacy it's well known for, but soundstage really just isn't ... there.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 16
I've done lots of reading and have narrowed the list down to:

***Beyer DT990 (2005 or Pro?)
***AKG K701
***Senn HD580

Does any one other suggestions or comparisons?

I should be studying for exams instead of reading head-fi threads....
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 16
I've read the k701 and hd580 arent very good for rock, which is what you listed as your music preference. I also read that alot of people say the dt880 was a better hp than the dt990. I'm surprised that the d2k isnt on your narrowed list as thats the one everyone is saying is the multi-purpose phone.

BTW, I should be studying for exams too instead of posting on head-fi threads
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 16
Depends on how you like your rock. The bass on the K701 is probably a lot punchier, and generally people recommend punchy for rock. That said, the efficiency of your final three choices are all quite low, you're definitely going to have to crank up that volume meter. Any given bottom end also suffers without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back