Sub-$250 Closed Headphone Recommendations?
Apr 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tmacfan4321

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade to a new set of closed headphones. Currently, I have a pretty basic setup, but I am planning on upgrading to a 7th Gen iPod Classic or an iMod, and I am planning on getting a portable amp like an iBasso D10 or the like. I mostly listen to Metal, Electronic, Punk, Ska, and Rock in general.

Currently, I am looking at the following headphones:

- Ultrasone HFI-780
- Denon D2000
- Senn HD25-1
- Audio-Technica ESW9
- Shure SRH840

Any suggestions would be appreciated. At this point, I am leaning towards the 780s, but the D2000s seem to have some fanfare behind them as well.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 13
I have a pair of D2000's and really like them. They do ok with an mp3 but definitely improve with a good amp. FWIR the D10 is a pretty good match for them. They are a good all arounder. They do leak a little though.
I've tried out the 780's and also enjoyed them. It's hard to beat them for electronic and bass heavy music. I don't really listen to the other genres on your list so I can't comment on that.
The others on your list seem pretty good too but I don't have much experience with them though so someone else can comment on those. Are these going to be used as a portable?

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 13
SRH840 gets a big thumbs up from me... I love the way it sounds. Sounds perfect for your application.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of D2000's and really like them. They do ok with an mp3 but definitely improve with a good amp. FWIR the D10 is a pretty good match for them. They are a good all arounder. They do leak a little though.
I've tried out the 780's and also enjoyed them. It's hard to beat them for electronic and bass heavy music. I don't really listen to the other genres on your list so I can't comment on that.
The others on your list seem pretty good too but I don't have much experience with them though so someone else can comment on those. Are these going to be used as a portable?

These are going to be slightly portable, I'm having a shift in where I use headphones now that I finally got my driver's license yesterday. I can drive to school now and I won't be listening to music for a solid hour in the morning everyday. I will still take these phones to school and definitely on trips (debate tournaments) but most of the reason why I want a closed set is because of the sound leakage in general. I feel like I cannot use my Grados anywhere outside of my own room without annoying other people, so I would like to get a closed set of headphones.

Also, you look like a tool if you walk around with Grados on your head, they just look dumb.

I like the fact that the 780s collapse down and can be stowed away more easily and I am worried that the D2000s are more home-oriented phones. Both the HD25 and the ESW9 seem like they are very portable, and the Shures are supposedly huge without collapsibility.

The main thing I am concerned about is the way that the 780s handle rock music; I have heard great things about their performance for Hip-Hop, Electronic, and other bass intensive forms of music, but they are never mentioned for their ability to play rock. I am wondering whether the D2000s would be better or worse than they are at playing rock.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 13
The HD 25 I II are very rugged and sound very good. The ESW9 sound even better but are less rugged. Still they fold flat and look great. I found the SRH840 very nice, but a bit heavy for portable use. They are rugged and collapse fully. I also found them a bit more like studio monitors, with less lively and fun sound, but still very nice.
Thew HFI 780 are nice phones and should do your music types well. They now have a shorter cable than before, so make sure you ask for the newest version should you decide on these. The denons are nice, but of the ones listed, still sound best amped. I probably would not use them portably.
Great choices!

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not the Ultrasone PRO750?

$230 NEW....

ULTRASONE PRO-750 PRO750 DJ STUDIO HEADPHONES -OPEN BOX - eBay (item 230457016102 end time May-01-10 13:09:18 PDT)

IMHO, the 750's have a more ... mature sound in comparison to the HFI more metalic sound. I love(d) my 750, but the the HFI-780's seemed to be more suited to electronic music. although if you're looking at the HFi-780's why not try the Ultrasone Dj headphones? I've got my DJ1's on at the moment.

ATH-ESW9 - too many counterfeits on themarket, you have to be confident about where and how much, in order to get thereal thing.

Shure - that's a real spanner in the works as they are ... monitor headphones. Good, but at the time I tried them I just wasn't in the mood for monitor headphones.

Denon - I only got up to the 1000's and I love them. I wouldn't necessarily choose them though.

Senn's - bought my hd25-1's back in 1997 and I'd never dream of getting rid of them. punchy bass and overall a brilliant package.

I'd try the Ultrasone DJ's or HD25's.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 13
Wouldn't get the ESW9 unless you needed portable.

Can't comment on the others. Shures would be good though.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 13
I'll give you a quick rundown on all the closed phones I've been using at work the last couple years (this is an expensive hobby!):

Ultrasone hfi-700 - used them for a couple years, really liked the sound (speaker quality), but eventually wanted more midrange clarity and better comfort

Senn 280 pro - blocks out the world; clamps tight; really flat and rangeless sound quality that got boring after several months. Then I broke them in via the mexican rap station for 2 weeks, intending to kill them - they got so much better! The wife stole them after that.

Denon ahd2000, with Jena Labs 22g cryo wire - LOVED them. The midrange clarity, comfort, and how deeeeeep the bass goes is unreal. One side died after a year, and I found out Denon doesn't work on them. They don't have parts like a dedicated headphone company, just ear pads. I will probably buy another pair because the sound was really exceptional, despite the company being ****ty. I mean - the sound haunts me, I keep thinking about them when I listen to everything else.

Creative Aurvana Live! (Denon 1001) - got used for $15 on ebay, price fluctuates a lot. I really like these. Great SQ, very light, easy to wear for hours. Not quite as refined as the 2000, but my favorite sub $100 phone by far.

Ultrasone proline 650 - I just don't get it. Why does anyone like these? The sound just did not work with my ears. Weird honky midrange... hard to describe. My friends 750s didn't sound like this.

Ultrasone hfi780 w/ cryo wire 22g - to replace my old 700s. They REALLY sound like they were made by the devil for the first 120 hours. Holy crap do they hurt your ears, with high freq. crunchiness. I am surprised how different they are from the 700s. I think Ultrasone made a mistake. They are starting to smooth out, but they are so uncomfortable. Ultrasone needs a new headband design, its time guys! I am not loving the sound yet. I am surprised that it is a favorite here - it has so many flaws, but maybe it needs more time, or doesn't like my amp. The 700s I loved from day one. So far they do not "get within 90% of the Ed 9". They are definately related, just not close... yet. I'm gonna keep trying. This review is "tough love" because I do like this company.

Beyerdynamic DT770 - I just got these and had a big smile on my face the first day. So comfortable, light, and has a tone that works with me. Despite being called "bass monsters" they DO NOT reach down as low as the ahd2000, and do not have the punch of the 780s. But I am starting to hear some sophisticated clarity in the mids, and they do the low notes well. Lots of way to change the sound, I'm gonna have fun with these. They aren't quite broken in yet.

Borrowed Ed 9s - best phones I've ever heard
Borrowed Sony V6 - crunchy mids, but I liked them for work phones
Borrowed Bose triports - What?
Borrowed proline 750s - Very nice, but ultimately boring

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 13
I had the D2000 and it's definitely not a portable headphone. The cable is long as hell and difficult to manage and the cups will scratch pretty easy. You said your source is going to be an iTouch, so you might want to keep that in mind.

On the other hand, as a pair of headphones for in-home use, I love them even without an amp.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321
Any suggestions would be appreciated. At this point, I am leaning towards the 780s, but the D2000s seem to have some fanfare behind them as well.

i agree with your leaning soundwise, but you should really check again what portable means for you ... heard 780/d2000/hd25 and though 780 and D2000 brought more "ooomph" to my ears, they are everything but portable. The HD25 is a great! can and i think the best compromise between portability and great sound. You can store your Ipod, the Ibasso and the Sennheiser in the small bag they ship with the HD25 (even an extra set of batteries). Another thing that speaks for the HD25 is that they are bulletproof built, so you don´t need to worry that you´re gonna break or scratch the cups or something like that.

neopac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back