Sub $200 open back
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zamboknee

New Head-Fier
Is there an open back full size headphone that is under $200 and has clarity/neutral sound?

I come from the radio and voiceover worlds where it's all closed back cans and I'd like to get a pair of affordable open-back headphones so I can just zone out with some good tunes in my ears.

Don't want real bass-heavy.
Like I said, clear sound is best.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 9
AKG K702

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 9
+1 for the Sennheiser HD560s

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 9
I haven't heard a Senn 560 to compare it to the 702. But I would describe the 702 as just a sliver on the bright side of neutral. But it has extraordinary detail and clarity, especially in the highs, and the sound stage and imaging is as good as it gets for under $1,000. Very musical and just extremely pleasant to listen to no matter for how long. It's one of my faves for sure and I always hasten to recommend it when people ask for neutral headphones in its price range.

In terms of fitment, I've also got a big noggin and ears that are not-infrequently problematic for me with a lot of headphones. But the K702 fits me just fine, although it does feel like my head is just about at the upper limit of what the K702 will fit. And again while I can't talk about the 560 directly, I've owned several other Senn headphones and all of them have been more than adjustable enough to fit me comfortably and with plenty of adjustment to spare, and I suspect the 560 would be the same in this regard.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm, just got a pair ar HHgregg for $156 and put one ply of toilet paper on the driver's to tone down the treble peak. Really well rounded and a lot more comfortable than the HD6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back