Sub-$200 gaming
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RealDealz

New Head-Fier
Hey all -- new to the forums here, wanted to get some suggestions.

I am looking for a pair of headphones for gaming (CS:S), and also a bit of music on the side (but mostly gaming). I am not much for mod'ing, and I don't want to spend over $200 said and done.

My current set-up is an X-fi (xtreme music I believe) hooked up to Logitech Z5500 speakers (I usually hook up my headphones to the Z5500's digital decoder thing - not sure if this makes a difference).

I have been reading around a bit and have seen the A900's and DT 770 (80 ohm version) recommended. However, most people say the 770's require an amp, which seems would put them out of my price range (and the added pain to buy/ship/set up). I would prefer a closed headphone although I'm not totally dedicated to them if an open is better.

I should also say my chief concern with gaming is not necessarily the quality or immersion of the sound but the soundstage (so I can tell how far away and which direction those footsteps are coming from
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Any suggestions would be great.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 20
i don't think the beyers need an amp to fit your needs

another thing, which ever headphone you decide to get, plug em directly into the soundcard. digital decoders on a speaker set up doesn't sound good for the SQ.

anyways
i haven't heard thd dt770, but i do have the a700, which i found to be excellent gaming headphones

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 20
Bump. And, regarding the digital decoder, if im going to plug my headphones directly into my sound card does this mean I need to unplug my speakers and plug in my headphones behind my comp every time I want to switch? Isn't there an easier way?

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RealDealz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump. And, regarding the digital decoder, if im going to plug my headphones directly into my sound card does this mean I need to unplug my speakers and plug in my headphones behind my comp every time I want to switch? Isn't there an easier way?

There should be another line-out on one of your speakers.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Hey all -- new to the forums here, wanted to get some suggestions.

I am looking for a pair of headphones for gaming (CS:S), and also a bit of music on the side (but mostly gaming). I am not much for mod'ing, and I don't want to spend over $200 said and done.

My current set-up is an X-fi (xtreme music I believe) hooked up to Logitech Z5500 speakers (I usually hook up my headphones to the Z5500's digital decoder thing - not sure if this makes a difference).

I have been reading around a bit and have seen the A900's and DT 770 (80 ohm version) recommended. However, most people say the 770's require an amp, which seems would put them out of my price range (and the added pain to buy/ship/set up). I would prefer a closed headphone although I'm not totally dedicated to them if an open is better.

I should also say my chief concern with gaming is not necessarily the quality or immersion of the sound but the soundstage (so I can tell how far away and which direction those footsteps are coming from
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Any suggestions would be great.

Sen 595
AKG 501 for the sound stage a lone.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Avoid open headphones if there is even slightly stronger hum coming out of your computers cooling fans.

A900, or its cheaper version A700 gets recommended a lot. Both are closed, easy to drive and has large soundstage.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Hrmm, well I've been thinking about it and I would like them to be decent for music as well. I don't listen to much rap or techno ect and im not huge on bass drowning out sound, I like clear/crisp mids (piano/guitar ect) that don't sound far away like some headphones do. But, again, I still need it to be good for gaming. So it seems like the 3 recommended are the A900/senn 595/DT 770. Out of these three which do you think best fits those needs?

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 20
used DT 880s. They're open but I still own. lol

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Hrmm, well I've been thinking about it and I would like them to be decent for music as well. I don't listen to much rap or techno ect and im not huge on bass drowning out sound, I like clear/crisp mids (piano/guitar ect) that don't sound far away like some headphones do. But, again, I still need it to be good for gaming. So it seems like the 3 recommended are the A900/senn 595/DT 770. Out of these three which do you think best fits those needs?

If sound stage is a priority nothing beats the 501's, for under 200.00 which can be had for around 120.00. Imagine yourself on top of mountain screaming & hearing echo's.. That was my first impression on these cans..

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 20
I got a pair of Audio Technica a900's, and I am extremely pleased in their performance in gaming. I have tried my friends beyer 770's and I personally think the soundstage on the a900's are more accurate, and bigger. The only reason I would recommend the Beyers over the AT's would be if you are a bass head, otherwise I think the a900's will treat you well.

The other option would be a pair of Sennheiser HD595's, but if you are a gamer, and you attend LAN's, the open back headphone isn't really an option because so much sound leaks through.

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 20
Hrmm well I'm thinking I'll rule out the 595. Between the a900 and the DT 770, which would you say is better for music? (I really don't like too much bass to drown out the mids, are the 770s overly bassy?)

EDIT: Also, which do you all think is more comfortable? I wear glasses and don't want my ears to be hurting after a few hours.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 20
I really don't like too much bass to drown out the mids, are the 770s overly bassy?

Then don't get the 770s. They are BASS monsters with recessed mids unless Darthed.

Beyer is the most comfortable headphone though.

The A900s will suffice for you if you want closed.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be another line-out on one of your speakers.

My speakers only have 1 line-out.
The sound card also 1 line-out.
Currently i'm using the infront line-out of the case to connect my headphones, but it is starting to break
frown.gif

Any other suggestions to change between speakers and headphones without unplugging?

My current speakers:
600smile.gif

http://www.cummingsdesign.com/Benwin/49bw2000specs.htm

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid open headphones if there is even slightly stronger hum coming out of your computers cooling fans.

A900, or its cheaper version A700 gets recommended a lot. Both are closed, easy to drive and has large soundstage.

Very true... closed cans make more sense for gaming anyway. The 770's are incredibly comfortable too, so it should be able to last you through the night
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back