Sub $200 Bookshelf's
Jun 6, 2008 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
Right now, the speakers I use from my computer are some LGs that were included in a HTIB system I got for Christmas. To put it bluntly, they suck, not surprisingly. Anyway, I want a new pair for when I move back to Toronto, so I'll have time to gather a bit of extra cash. I was considering the PSB Alpha B1, since they are on sale at a store in Toronto that I might be able to actually listen to first. Barring enjoying them, are there any other suggestions. They'll likely be used exclusively, so no subwoofer. I might buy a new receiver with a sub-out, but then I'd need a sub for it too... Not a cost-effective option. That means they should have at least moderate bass impact and depth. I'm buying within Canada preferably, but I'll order online if I have to, in order to get a good deal. Can anyone comment on the PSB Alpha B1's? Or do you have other ideas?

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you considered getting used? The B1's are a fine speaker but you might miss a sub.

You don't really need a new receiver if the sub you buy has speaker outputs. You can chain the speaker to the speaker outs and most subs will filter the sound for the speakers after it passes through.

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm fine with used, but local would almost be a necessity. I don't like how much shipping could run, especially if it's coming Stateside. I might be able to run a sub, depending on the builds of the receivers I have back in Toronto. I have access to another, but I don't know if it has a sub-out.

I'll look into other speakers with a sub-out option, or I might just go dumpster/garage sale hunting for a cheap-o receiver with a sub-out. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Go dumster diving or craigslist for a yamaha. the recent ones or the pioneer 515 k are pretty good sounding units.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 6
If you really want to use a giant receiver with your computer stereo, I'd highly recommend the Panasonic SA-XR 55 or 57. However, if you're looking for a smaller, cheaper, desktop system, you might consider a T-Amp. I use a t-amp with some Infinity Primus speakers, and think it sounds really good. I don't have a sub - maybe someday. The primus are world-class budget bookshelves, IMO (competitive with psb, paradigm, etc, and available for good prices if you're patient off of ebay).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back