Sub $15 Earbuds
Nov 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to give out a bunch of quality earbuds/earphones, but I'm kinda poor. What's the cheapest stuff I can give that is still respectable?

The lower the better. I know the KSC75 will be mentioned, but these will be given to "regular" people--they want low profile stuff!
atsmile.gif

I was thinking of the JVC marshmallows, but those may be a bit strange for people normally accustomed to iBuds.

Any earbuds worthy of purchase? Or I'm just going to buy some Skullcandy earbuds to appease the masses. And you guys don't want that do you?
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Meelectronics Ai-M9. They're still $15 on Meelec's site and the 20% off coupon code is still working for a few more hours
wink.gif
. Their sound is surprisingly good and the packaging/accessories are very respectable for the price.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 9
How about the soundmagic pl20, pl11,pl12 from mp4nation.net.
Are Ai M9 better than these? My cousin is buying and his budget is not more than $15 so i recommended him the soundmagics. Are the Ai M9 better?

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lavinachtani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the soundmagic pl20, pl11,pl12 from mp4nation.net.
Are Ai M9 better than these? My cousin is buying and his budget is not more than $15 so i recommended him the soundmagics. Are the Ai M9 better?

I've not heard the low-end soundmagics but to me the Ai-M9 are slightly better than both the PL30 and Pl21.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 9
thanks for the suggestions! the jdubs j2 look like a good candidate. and the ai m9 look cool too

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 9
I got TDK EB-400 for $5 on sale at my local electronic shop. It's not a bud, but IEM with several pair of different size sleeves. Suprisingly it's not bad once I find the right sleeve. I wear the biggest sleeves with it.

Sound isolation is pretty good, I could barely here anything with music off, once the music is on even at really low volume level, people been sneaking up on me to my suprise.

Soundstage isn't bad because with the biggest sleeve they don't go in that deep. Comfort is alright once the tip break-in and I am used to IEM, but it was painful before that.

Bass varies from tip to tip. The smallest tip, go really deep into the ear and doesn't seal at all, Bass is really bad. With the medium tip the bass is too much, everything sounds muddy. With the biggest tip, the Bass is not so overwhelming anymore.

The high is roll off with any of the tips. I have to EQ the high to get anything satisfactory, but it can take the EQing without any nasty distortion.

The mid is good, once the Bass doesn't overpower it.

Build quality, well it's $5. Cable is very thin, all plastic, the enclosure is just glued together. The specs said 9mm dynamic drivers and 16 ohms.

I have it for about a month now and still working and I wore it to mow my lawn as ear plug, so overall a good purchase for me and something I can recommend if you can find it for $5.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 9
IMHO, Meel M9 are a lot more than JBuds J2. JBuds lack quite a bit of clarity in comparison and they don't isolate as well for me. M9 are smaller form and more comfortable, isolate better but they are a bit more microphonic. Still, in sound quality Meel wins hands down. JVC FXC50 can be had for $14-15 with free shipping if you search on google shopping and they also should be much more than JBuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back