Sub 130$ over ear headphone
Jan 7, 2015 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dszoo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I know this is probably a common question but i'm looking for a over ear headphone for less than 130$ I will be using it at home and at school so it needs to be closed and noise cancelling functionality would be a bonus but not needed. I'm just looking for quality, I have been looking at the UE 6000 and ATH m30. It will need to ship to Canada. Thanks! EDIT: It was recommended to me that I should post my music prefs. I listen to EDM pop and rap mostly.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi everyone! I know this is probably a common question but i'm looking for a over ear headphone for less than 130$ I will be using it at home and at school so it needs to be closed and noise cancelling functionality would be a bonus but not needed. I'm just looking for quality, I have been looking at the UE 6000 and ATH m30. It will need to ship to Canada. Thanks!

dszoo, welcome.

I was in the same position about a month ago and since then have done a reasonable amount of testing.
I would think the UE to be much better than the m30, I tested the m50  in a shop but not side by side.

I bought athe Logitech UE6000 (for £50) a while ago. They are a very commonly recommended headphone for this price range and i could see why. I ended up returning them for two reasons.

1.I found the sound to be too clouded by the bass, the overall sound quality was very good, especially for the price. If you don't mind a stronger bass, they could be for you.
2.The fit of the UE 6000 wasn't right for me, help a bit heavy and wobbly on my head.
Both of these are subjective, just like any HP is.
(bear in mind the Noise cancelling is more of a portable amp than a standard NC feature and can be a little bit hissy)

I'm not trying to put you off! The UE's a worth a go, especially if you can return them for free like i did, direct from Logitech.

Ask any UE 6000 owners here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/646595/logitech-ue6000
Review thread for UE 6000: http://www.head-fi.org/products/logitech-ue-6000

If you state what sound preferences, music type you like more people will respond.
The CAL 1's are recommended as well but i've not heard them

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 9
I know people hype it and put it down, but the ATH-M50 are excellent all-around closed cans for the price. They're $135 for the original model on amazon, and a bit more for the "X" version. If you aren't set on the closed thing, Grado SR80e, hands down. The Shure SRH440 are a good choice in that range. As mentioned above, the UE 6000 are pretty good, though I find them a bit bassy.
Hope this helps!

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 9
  I know people hype it and put it down, but the ATH-M50 are excellent all-around closed cans for the price. They're $135 for the original model on amazon, and a bit more for the "X" version. If you aren't set on the closed thing, Grado SR80e, hands down. The Shure SRH440 are a good choice in that range. As mentioned above, the UE 6000 are pretty good, though I find them a bit bassy.
Hope this helps!

I would go for the m50 but i'm up in Canada and the original is still 164$. Thanks for the help!

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 9
People love the AT M50s but I am not one of them as I find them a bit "scooped" sounding (prominent bass, recessed midrange). You may find that very appealing for EDM or other bass heavy music. I'd suggest at least an audition first or try some of the others if midrange neutrality is important to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back