Sub $1000 kings?
Jul 14, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 21
There are quite a few options depending on what sound signature you like I guess.
Hifiman has some sub 100 that are worth looking at.
AKG K371/361 are good closed back budget options in my opinion.
If we're talking open back, senheisser HD6 series are always a good starting point.
Perhaps also worth looking at are the focal elegia or the Aeon Closed 2 by Dan Clark if you want a portable set.
In terms of bass-head signature, I guess the Campfire Cascade are worth an audition.

Figured I'd just throw a few in here that popped into my mind. However given the information you've provided, I can't really help you out more. We'd need more in terms of your preferences :)

Good luck with the quest and try to at least demo everything before you buy it.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 21
I think it really comes down to your preference because a certain headphone is perfect for a certain genre and might not be as good for something else (yeah a little vague there). I think Beyerdynamics T1 is a little better than DT1990 Pro in terms of performance with proper amplification for something like classical, sound tracks, etc. If you're looking something easy to drive, closed back, and able to play almost anything, then yeah the Focal Elegia (often on sale for $429) would be a really good bang for the buck although I found the bass a little too thin. Not sure if the price includes the amp/dac or if you mind used. I think you can find a pair of HD800s or ADX-5000 here.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 21
There's no one, but my favorites are:
  • HiFiMan Sundara, a very well rounded open back headphone that's a jack of all trades with more transparency and detail than many > $1000 headphones
  • ZMF Ori for rap and even rock, and metal if you don't want a V-shaped frequency response
  • Sennheiser HD 6XX / HD 650 for chamber music

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 21
Overall is really hard because you do always compromise other factors then. The best overall sub 1000 headphone i had was maybe a used fostex th900 mk2. Worked good for every genre and is closed back. However i didn't like it and sold it because it was such an allrounder. In every niche there are headphones that are better for particular genres. But if you want an allrounder i'd say the th900 is maybe what you like.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm looking for the best overall sub 1000 dollar headphone. Is it the beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro?

Thats a big question lol. To help narrow it down what headphones do you already have? what do you like about them? what do you not like? would you like a bright/warm/dark heaphone? what kind of music do you listen to? do you like bass/midrange/treble? do you have a amp and DAC?

For the record the best headphones ive heard for under 1000 are the Elex and Aiva. Elex is W shaped. slightly elevated bass/midrange/treble. but treble is not harsh at all. the Aiva is more U shaped with elevated bass and treble. treble is a little high on Aiva. i hear very good things about the DCA Aeon 2

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Hard to tell, since it really comes down to preference.

My favourite at that price were the LCD-2C.
From new contenders I'd consider the Kennerton Gjallahorn.

If you like the Beyerdynamic House Sound, I consider the T1 superior to the 1990.
The T1 will receive a 3rd Revision this autumn, nobody can tell what the difference to previous models will be.

So as long as you dont tell us what your sound preferences and music genres are, all we can do is name "good" choices in that pricebracket, which may or may not fit your taste

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 21
Hard to tell, since it really comes down to preference.

My favourite at that price were the LCD-2C.
From new contenders I'd consider the Kennerton Gjallahorn.

If you like the Beyerdynamic House Sound, I consider the T1 superior to the 1990.
The T1 will receive a 3rd Revision this autumn, nobody can tell what the difference to previous models will be.

So as long as you dont tell us what your sound preferences and music genres are, all we can do is name "good" choices in that pricebracket, which may or may not fit your taste

Voting for T1 > 1990 for Beyer . Need to know genre and sound preference before we can go more into this topic (2nd hand deals as well). Otherwise we just gonna get more people dropping more headphones all over the place LOL.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 21
I had DT1990Pro and hated them. They were uncomfortable, big, clamped hard, had thin, rolled-off bass, BUT their imaging was absolutely phenomenal.
I could localize every instrument in songs, footsteps in games etc. I miss them for that reason, by my other headphones can get about 85% as close and for 1/6th the cost, I couldn't justify keeping them.
As everyone said, you'll need to provide more detail on what YOU like. If you aren't sure, it might be better to demo some lower-end cans and familiarize yourself with the "house sounds" of each brand.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 21
Under the $1,000 mark, my favorite closed-back headphone is the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation). In fact, it comes in at a shade under a grand, with a $999 MSRP.

It is engaging yet detailed, musical yet capable. A great package, IMO.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 21
+1 for Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed. Portable, light for planar, comes with a tuning kit to tailor the sound to your liking or mood, comfortable, and built with quality materials. I'm able to drive them single ended with my LG V60 when on the go. Noise isolation is pretty good, too. It's a rare breed, a closed back that doesn't sound like a closed back.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 21
As you can see above, people arent really able to help you without more information. Without knowing more about what type of music you like, your current setup, your preference for sound (bass, treble, soundstage, ect), and what use you need (open, closed, gaming, music, movies?) we can only just give you OUR preferences.

Also, used or new? You can get 1k+ headphones used under 1000. I can say pretty confidently that the sub 1000 king is NOT the 1990. Such a variance in sound though with my favorites all under 1k (used): HD800/S, ZMF Aeolus, Focal Clear.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 21
As you can see above, people arent really able to help you without more information. Without knowing more about what type of music you like, your current setup, your preference for sound (bass, treble, soundstage, ect), and what use you need (open, closed, gaming, music, movies?) we can only just give you OUR preferences.

Also, used or new? You can get 1k+ headphones used under 1000. I can say pretty confidently that the sub 1000 king is NOT the 1990. Such a variance in sound though with my favorites all under 1k (used): HD800/S, ZMF Aeolus, Focal Clear.

True and there's what are you going to connect it to? Rabbit hole city. Thank God for Amazon and its return policy. Lol

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 21
HE-500’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back