Sub $100, Primarily Metal, Durable, Comfortable IEMS
Aug 7, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kinkbmxco

New Head-Fier
So I have been browsing through the forums and have seen several threads that address these questions individually, but these aspects are all pretty important to me..
I guess my MAIN concern would be comfort, then durability, then Sound Quality, is that blasphemous that SQ isn't my number one priority?
redface.gif

I will be using these phones most likely with a Sansa Fuze or a Creative Zen Vision M. Player will either be in my Jean pocket or backpack. I will probably be using it while walking around on campus, and when riding my bike casually and doing flatland (this may be where durability comes into play). Right now I am using some DREADFUL stock mp3 player phones that hurt my ear if they are in for more than 2 minutes, and don't sound very good. Yesterday they got tangled up on my handle bars and were ripped out of my ears and were fine. Now I will probably be more careful with this new pair of phones, but I don't want a cable that is super thin and fragile, it I can help it...
I would say about 70% of the music I listen to is metal, the rest is more indie rock/emo music.
Lets try to keep it under $100, thats even pushing it for me! Thanks for everyones help.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 6
thanks for the quick replies...
I am actually very interested in the Westone UM1's... There build quality looks superior to most that I have seen in this price range. I saw a post talking about cable ends where there wasn't a 90 degree bend were more prone to damage (like the Denons) is this correct? Also with those denons I will have to use an extension, an idea that doesn't really turn me on either. But buy.com has a pretty great price on them right now. Decisions decisions..

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinkbmxco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the quick replies...
I am actually very interested in the Westone UM1's... There build quality looks superior to most that I have seen in this price range. I saw a post talking about cable ends where there wasn't a 90 degree bend were more prone to damage (like the Denons) is this correct? Also with those denons I will have to use an extension, an idea that doesn't really turn me on either. But buy.com has a pretty great price on them right now. Decisions decisions..

The UM1s are pretty much the king of build quality in their price range. If you're in the US, you can get them for $109 shipped from eBay. They meet your criteria perfectly. I wouldn't say any earphone matches them in build quality except UM2s. Certainly none that I've tried or read about.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 6
I think im pretty much sold on the Um1's but I have one last question... when I ride for a long session I have a tendency to sweat. Does this present high potential to ruin the UM1's or is this pretty unlikely. Thanks for everyones help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back