sub-$100 over-the-ear reccomendations
Nov 2, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pwcasellini

New Head-Fier
i'm completely new to the realm of high-end audio, although i have so far managed to prove myself wise enough to ditch the white ipod earbuds. right now i'm searching for something over-the-ear below $100 (as suggested in the title), ideally from grado, sony, or sennheiser.

i'm a drummer, so i'm looking for something with enough isolation to use to play along with (i'm pretty loud), and i need something durable, since i have a history of dropping/accidentally hitting my equipment, and i won't mind looking like a dork for that. i prefer clean but fairly pronounced bass with a slightly boosted treble, because i also know enough to realize that the ipod's equalizer is useless unless you enjoy distortion. i probably won't be using any kind of headphone amps, either.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-pete

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwcasellini
i'm completely new to the realm of high-end audio, although i have so far managed to prove myself wise enough to ditch the white ipod earbuds. right now i'm searching for something over-the-ear below $100 (as suggested in the title), ideally from grado, sony, or sennheiser.

i'm a drummer, so i'm looking for something with enough isolation to use to play along with (i'm pretty loud), and i need something durable, since i have a history of dropping/accidentally hitting my equipment, and i won't mind looking like a dork for that. i prefer clean but fairly pronounced bass with a slightly boosted treble, because i also know enough to realize that the ipod's equalizer is useless unless you enjoy distortion. i probably won't be using any kind of headphone amps, either.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-pete

Try the DJ cans, they should give enough isolation. I personally use the Technics DH1200, but a new set is out of your price range. Maybe look for a used pair on eBay or something. Also, DJ cans are quite durable, and can withstand everyday abuse; I use mine at school, and I just throw them in my backpack when not in use.

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 9
Beyer has a version of the DT770 just for drummers, the DT770M. All I know about it is that it provides more isolation for the sacrifice of SQ. Should retain most of the regular DT770 characteristics, including the massive bass.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwcasellini
thanks a lot, but just to clarify, isolation's not a huge deal, since in my experience most basic studio-style over-the-ear phones will deliver the kind of isolation i need.

Prominent bass and treble + adequate isolation + commonly used in studios and <$100 with no amp = Sony V6.

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
Prominent bass and treble + adequate isolation + commonly used in studios and <$100 with no amp = Sony V6.

Yep. I've seen more drummers wearing the 7506/V6 than anything else. They're very durable too. My uncle has a band and his drummer has two sets of V-Drums. They rehearse at my uncles house in his family room/studio so the drummer keeps his second set of V-Drums there so he doesn't have to set up every week. Anyhow, he's got a pair of 7506s plugged into them all the time and I think they sound great. I know that's not how the OP is going to use his headphones but that should say something.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 9
what's everybody's opinion on the HD-280s? those seem to get compared with the V6s a lot. would they be right for me? also, how bad is the sound leakage on alessandro ms-1s and grado sr-60s/80s? would those work well without amps as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back