Sub $100 IEM with bass but clarity possible?
Nov 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 38
No doubt that they sound great coming from stock earbuds or even something from a lower tier. They sound better than many, many earphones around the same price as well. I just hope people don't read the off-hand comments strewn around head-fi about these and think they are the be-all end-all. They're quite good, but they are not giant killers. The phrase "compares to earphones 3-4x times the price" is becoming an overused cliche around these parts ><.

I reserve the right to make changes to my sentiment toward the S4 as I review them fully. Note that my pair already has 150+ hours on them.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 38
Regarding the RE0, I've been looking for some new iem's. I'd like to get the Westone 3's but they are simply out of my price range. I realize the RE0's are an astounding value but I'm concerned about the bass and overall sound signature of them. I tend to prefer a slightly warm sound with a decent amount of bass, but not too much. I'm not really a Basshead but I want it to at least be there. I'm considering the S4's because they have more bass, but if the RE0's are really that clear then I may have to get them.

I know this is hard to answer because everyone's ears are different but, does the supreme clarity of the RE0's make them preferable over the S4, despite the RE0's lack of deep, impacting bass? In other words, is the deep bass on the RE0's so anemic or missing that it will ruin my experience, despite the awesome clarity? At the same time, are the S4's close enough to the RE0's in terms of clarity and due to their better bass, make them the better choice?

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithlord32786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is hard to answer because everyone's ears are different but, does the supreme clarity of the RE0's make them preferable over the S4, despite the RE0's lack of deep, impacting bass? In other words, is the deep bass on the RE0's so anemic or missing that it will ruin my experience, despite the awesome clarity? At the same time, are the S4's close enough to the RE0's in terms of clarity and due to their better bass, make them the better choice?

This.

(even though I've already ordered mine...
redface.gif
)

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithlord32786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I agree with TopPop. Your question has no answer.

To me the RE0 is definitely preferable (most days - it depends on mood). I don't think the S4 is on par with the RE0 in clarity and definitely not in detail. I also don't think the RE0 are bass anemic. They are certainly not bass-centric, but the bass is there and it is very natural. There's a difference between bass depth and impact. They do lack impact, but not necessarily depth. I can hear ~35Hz fine with them.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I agree with TopPop. Your question has no answer.

To me the RE0 is definitely preferable (most days - it depends on mood). I don't think the S4 is on par with the RE0 in clarity and definitely not in detail. I also don't think the RE0 are bass anemic. They are certainly not bass-centric, but the bass is there and it is very natural. There's a difference between bass depth and impact. They do lack impact, but not necessarily depth. I can hear ~35Hz fine with them.

Ahhh! But you've proven that my question does have an answer!
L3000.gif

You prefer the RE0 to the S4, due to the RE0's superior clarity and detail and the fact that the bass really isn't missing. That's all I really wanted to know.

Quote:

There's a difference between bass depth and impact. They do lack impact, but not necessarily depth.

That's why I specified bass impact.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 38
Only one way to really find out, get both and listen. This whole thing about bass impact vs. depth is all very interesting, but I have seen a few, not many, HFers who didn't find the RE0 to be as magical as others, and have sold them or returned them.

No one, at least not me, is saying the S4s are replacements for the UM3X (in my case), but I do prefer the S4 over the X10, another Klipsch phone, which had an MSRP of $349 out of the gate. I think personal preference for the RE0 is perfectly understandable, and there are some other serious RE0 fans here (mark2410, pianist to name two). But there are also a few folks who have had top tier IEMs (I have UM3X and had W3 and IE7 and IE8) who probably would not be so smitten with the RE0. According to the man who owns Head-Direct, the new RE252s are superior to the RE0. I listened to my new pair of RE252s today, before they sort of broke (getting a replacememt, some bad glue work), and they too sounded like they had some amazing detail, but again, without EQ or an amp, the bass just was not there, and I am not talking heavy, thumping bass. More like Ety ER4P bass.

Again, I've owned Etys and right now the 616s in my ears with the Sony X that showed up today, and the detail is amazing since they have Ety drivers. But I had to boost clear bass to make them really hit their stride.

Why are the RE0, now a $79 IEM, allowed to be "giant killers" because of their detail, but other phones that have different sound signatures don't qualify? Is detail the end all and be all of what makes a great IEM? Not necessarily.

I know the RE0 was originally $199, but their value has not held - unlike true top tier phones.

In the end, it's always personal preference, but to dismiss the S4 as clearly inferior to the RE0 as a listening experience as if there is some quantitative measure is not really meaningful. I feel there is room in my listening world for the UM3X, the S4 and the $14 im616. Probably the RE0 too. But since the 252 is being touted as superior by the man who owns the company, I guess I will have to use the 252 as my guide.

In the end, I would not be surprised if the OP gets the RE0 and immediately says, "Where's the bass?"

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #22 of 38
Noone recommended the RE0 to the op. In the quest for bass, he would without a doubt be happier with the S4. I recommended the Im-590, but if you think the S4 is that much better I take it back.

Also, my point was not that the RE0 is a giant killer and the S4 is not. There is no such thing as a giant killer - the term is pointless. An earphone is either a good value at the asking price or it is not. Period.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 38
Well, the whole bass impact is very subjective. I rarely listen to my NE-7m because I prefer the sound detail and clarity of my RE0, even though the NE-7m has more impact. Could I live without the NE-7m, yes I could, but like joker said it's all depends on your mood. Sometimes I will use the NE-7m if I want something warmer, laid back and more low end impactful.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noone recommended the RE0 to the op. In the quest for bass, he would without a doubt be happier with the S4. I recommended the Im-590, but if you think the S4 is that much better I take it back.

Also, my point was not that the RE0 is a giant killer and the S4 is not. There is no such thing as a giant killer - the term is pointless. An earphone is either a good value at the asking price or it is not. Period.

One poster did recommend the REO + E5, right above your first post.

No need to take it back. You find the 590 more balanaced than the S4, which makes it a better choice. I don't feel the S4 is all that much out of whack. Different views of the same IEM.

You may not feel the RE0 is a giant killer, and I don't like the term either. But there are RE0 owners who believe its the best universal IEM, bar none. There is a thread devoted to that idea. I'd say that would put them in that category. You didn't say it, but others do.

I also agree, it's all about value in the end, unless you have unlimited funds. Precisely why I have a $14 IEM, a $79 IEM and a $300+ IEM and keep wondering why they all sound good to me.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #28 of 38
I agree that the phones depends on mood and genre of music. I use my ipod mainly for working out, so bass is an important factor. I used the S4 today for the first time and was extremely happy. Listened to Bon Jovi, Limp Bizkit and some electronic music...sounded great to me.

The S4 are also the most comfortable IEM I have used so far..you can always get it at best buy and try it out, their return policy is great..

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #29 of 38
hmmm interesting conversation lol

I'm not exactly a basshead but I do enjoy low end high impact, clean bass for certain types of music. I guess some aspects of bass reproduction are subjective, but I think sometimes there's the issue of whether an IEM can reproduce bass like the recorded track intended. I know my old e2c's definitely were failing in the bass area, not even a question of "bass" taste.

Perhaps I should clarify my intended usage:
1.) Clarity and sq >= Shure e2c
2.) Good to Great bass
3.) Sub $100 (new or used, cheaper the better but I don't exactly want to buy something I won't like or will break in a month)

Using with unamped nano 5g and old ipod 3g
Home use, traveling, and gym
I listen to rock, metal, punk, some techno, and very few select rap tracks

Things not too important:
I'm a car audio basshead so sometimes I sample tracks with very low freq
I was considering toying with them in my bedroom dj setup (IEM would actually work quite well for mixing with the ear isolation)
If I got the s4i I would use for calls in car on Blackberry Curve

Based on responses and research, now trying to narrow down my list:
Klipsch s4 or s4i
Denon c551
Denon c751(expensive)
Denon c710(can't find)
Nuforce ne-7
Super.fi 5 EB (expensive but can find used prob)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back