Sub $100 Desktop Amp for DT 990 PRO 250 ohm
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Suna45

New Head-Fier
             I'm gonna get straight to the point. In my impatience of looking for some very good headphones to replace my broken ( in 3 places) Turtle Beach z6a, I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm headphones. I bought them knowing they were overkill for gaming and so on, but being the stubborn person I am I went ahead with my purchase. I still haven't received them yet which is kind of annoying seeing as I'm using earphones and a clip on mic but oh well. A few days after my purchase I realized I had totally messed up. This being my first purchase of nice headphones I got to caught up in the whole thing before realizing, "Oh wait, people are saying that an amp is needed to use these things to their fullest.... %#$@". So here I am after looking around online, reading threads here and there about people also needing an amp for these pair of headphones but with two differences. The first being price, I need something sub $100 to power these things, even partially would do it. Second is knowledge, I'm a tiny little rock that jumped into a giant river of knowledge; instead of being able to hold my ground and help those that pass by I'm easily swept away down the stream wondering what happens next while desperately trying to grab onto anything I can. So before I make another mistake and buy something that I don't need or simply doesn't serve my purpose, I'm gonna admit I need help. I need something I can buy that will work with my PC right of the box no accessories or extra purchases needed. I keep hearing about amp and DAC combos? No clue what that's about. Should I return these and buy something else that I can use right away without skimping on quality?

Like I said these will be used for gaming and music. I literally listen to ALL types of music, generally whatever I'm in the mood for, yesterday could have been metal, today classical, and tomorrow techno. Thanks for the help!

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 24
Dude, wait for them to come in .. and see how well you can drive them first.

Then buy an amp if you want. - http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

My go-to budget amp suggestion.

You could always get a dac to pair with it later too.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 24
The O2 is good, but a past your budget.  

You could try the Schiit Magni.  $99 here: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

If thats still to much for you, then another option is the Fiio E9, $88 here: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004M172FY

Both supposedly good amps.  I am in the same position as you... sorta.  I was a little more careful with my research.  I plan on getting either the O2 or the Schiit Magni with my DT990 pro, either way within my budget.

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 24
You can find a Fiio E10 pretty easily for about 55 bucks right now. I think it should power them ok. Its a DAC/amp combo but the problem is its usb only so if your soundcard can't output surround to USB you will lose surround for gaming if that's a big deal to you. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 24
Cheap Fiio products give you what you pay for. Buy the Schiit Magni (and possibly the Modi as well) and never have to upgrade again.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Cheap Fiio products give you what you pay for. Buy the Schiit Magni (and possibly the Modi as well) and never have to upgrade again.

Hes got a point. Going separate DAC and amp with that schiit didn't fit my current needs or budget right now though. Down the road though Ill be seriously considering the Magni. If you absolutely don't need a DAC which you probably dont right now....get the Magni. Save up a bit more and get the Modi down the road. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Hes got a point. Going separate DAC and amp with that schiit didn't fit my current needs or budget right now though. Down the road though Ill be seriously considering the Magni. If you absolutely don't need a DAC which you probably dont right now....get the Magni. Save up a bit more and get the Modi down the road. 

I know the Magni/Modi is the 'in thing' right now, and I've recommended them to some, but I just don't have the confidence in them yet, because they haven't been reviewed objectively, or as comprehensively as the O2/ODAC combo.  So, I'm not sure about their technical aspects, because Schiit themselves don't publish any tests either.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 24
What would you guys recommend in this range if I am currently using IEMs (but will be going to some cans soon)?

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
What would you guys recommend in this range if I am currently using IEMs (but will be going to some cans soon)?

Nothing I guess for now. Later on get something suitable for the headphone you get.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 24
I am not being disrespectful so I apologize if you took it that way. I did ask for an amp suggestion (not whether or not to get one). I am running right from the sound card on the computer and the sound is not as good as it is from my portable rigs using IEMs (which many of us do use portable amps for IEMs). I have Hooked my Fiio e6 to the computer and it does improve the SQ so I am looking for a better desktop amp as the e6 is obviously not a desktop amp. There is much improvement to be made using an amp for iems, be it sound quality, sound stage and even sound signature. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back