Sub €300 IEM's
Mar 9, 2020 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

foxyproxy

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

Recently bought a DT1990 PRO including IFI iOne\Schiit Asgard2 combination that brings me tons of joy in my home setup. Now looking to expand that listening pleasure to the workplace. It'll have to be IEM's as I sometimes have to wear only 1 side.

Don't want to spend more than 300. Am a sucker for reference sound as I don't use them on anything other than laptop/desktop pc's. Meaning if I want it to be more vibrant, I'll use APO+PEACE.

My current EQ (perhaps that tells you something about what kind of sound I like, basically LOTS of detail, a roomy soundstage and good instrument separation)
https://i.imgur.com/npRmhfE.png

Currently looking at the following IEM's:
-YBF ISS014
-iKKO OH10
-Shozy & Neo BG
-ThieAudio Voyager 3

The 300 euros is including wiring and aftermarket tips if required :)

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 6
I recently bought the Ikko OH10s and am disappointed at their sound after reading so many positive reviews. They are technically impressive with tons of detail, fantastic bass, and the fit is amazing too, but there's this shouty peak in the midrange that I just can't get past. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz with pianos and saxophones and the tonality is just a bit off. And it's annoying after a while. I've played classical piano for over 35 years and these just don't get the piano right. Also, vocals come across as slightly distant as if you are sitting 10 or more rows back from the stage. Some people prefer this and I totally respect that, but my preference is to be closer to the music. I'm really bummed because they have so many other positive things going for them. They're definitely fun to listen to a few times, but then I find myself enjoying other less expensive IEMs a bunch more.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I recently bought the Ikko OH10s and am disappointed at their sound after reading so many positive reviews. They are technically impressive with tons of detail, fantastic bass, and the fit is amazing too, but there's this shouty peak in the midrange that I just can't get past. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz with pianos and saxophones and the tonality is just a bit off. And it's annoying after a while. I've played classical piano for over 35 years and these just don't get the piano right. Also, vocals come across as slightly distant as if you are sitting 10 or more rows back from the stage. Some people prefer this and I totally respect that, but my preference is to be closer to the music. I'm really bummed because they have so many other positive things going for them. They're definitely fun to listen to a few times, but then I find myself enjoying other less expensive IEMs a bunch more.

Can't use an EQ? I have the same issue with the DT1990's. They're known for their sharp high's (the T sounds) but I was able to work that out without losing detail.

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Can't use an EQ? I have the same issue with the DT1990's. They're known for their sharp high's (the T sounds) but I was able to work that out without losing detail.
I tried some EQ, but the pitch of pianos and horns always just sounds a bit "off key". And I don't want to mess with EQ on an IEM. A few people mentioned the shouty midrange issue in their reviews, but at the time I got caught up in all the hype and bought them anyways. Should've listened. I think there's a better IEM out there for you, I just don't know what to recommend. I'm still searching myself. I'm looking forward to hearing about the ThieAudio Voyager 3.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 6
I've been on a similar mission for the last years and despite being my cheapest IEM the JVC FD02 with mod equal to the DROP FDX1 is my best all rounder. 250 for the FDX1,$220 for teh FD02 on Amazon Japan, FD02 needs aftermarket cable (ALO pure silver is my favorite) and a simple mod with 3M Micropore tape. Very musical, really conveying the musical message rather than bits and bytes. They are brighter than my T8iE but only need a short adaptation and with the mod they are very well balanced.
Original mod for the FD01 was developed by a frequent concert goer who knows what real instruments need to sound like. Benefits from my Mojo, but also plays well on the phone.

Even better in some ways but more picky, hard to get and needing a good source is the Sony EX1k. (Got mine for $250, used, in Japan)
Very wide soundstage, very dynamic, great bass texture.

I gave BA IEMs a try with the QDC 4SS (used $400) recently and I have the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII (used $5550), both of which are above the budget limit.
They both have more detail, a more precise soundstage, but in musicality both the JVC and Sony are better IMO.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 6
DD ALL THE WAY

TFZ No.3
TFZ T2 Galaxy

if you want "reference" sound get the Tin T2, I also have that and it's not "reference" in my opinion.
Reference sounds like the mdr-v6, bad.

Not trying to down-talk the Tin T2, it's actually great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back