Stupidity @ Circuit City
Nov 9, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
As mentioned in the news recently, Circuit City is closing approximately 20% of their stores. I went into one that they are keeping open shortly after they opened for business today. I did not see the computer speakers that they had on sale as advertised in their weekly flyer. I also did not see a netbook on display by their notebook computers. Enough said!!!

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 20
you're complainig about not being able to buy a toy when people and families are starving in the street homeless with no food becuse someone lost their job?

priorities a little messed up?

btw is this post serious? a good lol. if you can't find what's in the flyer talk to a person who works there. u don't like the store shop someplace else =\

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 20
CC had it coming. I can feel some sympathy for the employees, especially since the end of my own job has been announced.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 20
no, hes saying that the reason circuit city had to close and left ehind loads of people jobless was due to the stupidity of their managers and employees for not having a tip top store.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 20
I stopped shopping at Circuit City a good year ago for the reason the OP mentioned. The local store never had what was advertised, it was always out of stock per the associates. Some articles have been attributing the loss in sales at CC to the top brass firing off their highest paid (thought to be most skilled) employees in an effort to save money.

It's very sad to see people (especially those not making much above minimum wage) lose their job because of an oversight by the top-earners of the company, it's certainly not fair.

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very sad to see people (especially those not making much above minimum wage) lose their job because of an oversight by the top-earners of the company, it's certainly not fair.

It happens all the time, I'm sure. The same top-earners are usually highly-skilled at explaining away their personal responsibility for the demise or decline of their last company.

Laz

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 20
I use to work at a circuit city, we were pretty good but unfortunately across the street from a best buy. The store I worked at closed in feb. Luckily I was long gone by the time they closed but a lot of my managers/friends who worked there had to move to different stores. It wasn't the best place as far as stock went. The reason is that the stores don't actually choose their shipments so it's really up to a silly system made by the higher ups to determine what the stores need. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

edit: also as someone who has seen it far too often. ANY time you go into a store looking for electronics and want to know about return policies or warranties make sure to ask them to print the information and read it. They are very expensive and many stores (best buy, circuit city and a lot of other stores I've walked in and asked questions in) don't train their employees correctly and many of them who don't know the answer just say anything instead of getting a manager. I saw it way too often and circuit city in their video department. I also walked into best buy across the street a few times just to see if they knew what they were doing and they knew even less then most of our guys about their own warranties and even the damn products they were selling.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 20
No Circuit City in my area, so no experience with them.
But over here a store is not allowed to advertise a product they don't have in storage. If they for some reason sell out (god forbid), you are entitled to get the product for the advertised price as soon as they get it back in storage.

No wonder they are closing down!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 20
Yeah, they filed for bankruptcy now, so I guess it's just a matter of time now.

But hey guys, think of it this way: Liquidation + Black Friday = ???

wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 20
Don't go in buying stuff during liquidation just because they are discounted. Make sure you double check the original price as they sometimes do a huge markup on them. Many times the consumer end up paying more - good example would be CompUSA

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't go in buying stuff during liquidation just because they are discounted. Make sure you double check the original price as they sometimes do a huge markup on them. Many times the consumer end up paying more - good example would be CompUSA

Exactly, and as luck would have it, the same company that handled the CompUSA liquidation is handling the Circuit City one.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 20
Yeah Gordon Brothers took over the CompUSA liquidation.
I just hope I get the netbook I ordered from CC soon. It does suck for the employees. I went through the same thing with CompUSA. Took a long vacation though.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 20
I think a lot of their store inventory is on credit. So since the company is about to go under, no one wants to give them products to sell for fear they won't get their money back. I think those companies also get their loans paid back last too which I assume is the reason why Sony turned back their trucks.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, and as luck would have it, the same company that handled the CompUSA liquidation is handling the Circuit City one.

that sucks, i didn't find any bargains at the CompUSA liquidation. They immediately pulled all their Apple products off the shelf before the liquidation began (well, left a few weird scraps). I wasted my time going to their liquidation on two different days. Didn't get any cheaper over the course of a week. The only good deal I got was on the very last two days, when they were selling off their store supplies -- then I got a bunch of nice (but dirty) power strips, adapters and cords for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back