STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY
Apr 8, 2003 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SENOR4Q

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting either an old reciever or headphone amp to connect to my soundcard but I'm not sure of something. If the old receiver is not stereo and I connect it to my sound card will I then get stereo or just plain mono going into my phones (or coming out of)?

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 7
If the reciever is mono output you will get mono output regardless of what's input.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 7
That wasn't stupid, but this may be, I'm not an expert or anything, but what if you were to split the headphone out with a y-cable and then use another y-cable w/ male connectors to hook up to the first y-cable and hook up the remaining end up w/ your headphones.

Now that I think about it, it probably won't work, anyone have any ideas?

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I think I see what your saying. You'll just end up with two same mono channels.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 7
You can't produce a stereo signal with a mono amp, although the converse isn't true. You can, however, use two mono amps to produce stereo, one amp per channel.

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
mono => headphone amp != stereo

Huh ? If you're splitting a mono signal, you'll just get mono in both channels, but it's not stereo. But you can split the stereo signal and run each channel (L&R) through mono amps (like monoblocks) for stereo amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back