STUPID QUESTION BUT What does a DAC do???
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 37
I have same "genius question". ATM im looking for headphone dac. For example there is dac's with 24bit / 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz and 32 bit / 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz, 352.8kHz,384kHz. How does this works? Dac recognizes any incoming signal between those scales from PC and converts to analog? Or recognizes and first converts to max (for example 32 bit 384khz) and only then sends to analog? I dont get this.
What if i listen only qobuz and that has only 16 bit/ 44.1 khz format?
What means those descriptions on dac's specifications and how they works?
Should i look to 24 bit or 32 bit dac?

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #32 of 37
hi! i just wanted to tell you my experience with the Fiio e17 2.
....i returned it back:
the Audio Quality is fine. it supports 24bit and it is build in AMP.
to be honest i did not heared the difference betwen my Sony Vaio, VPCF13M0E output jack. and my ex. Fiio e17
as it belongs to the audio quality, "i mean that kind of quality that old Stereos did once upon a time."
the audio is clear but there is something missing, is not just about to be clear. is the information you get.
i mean they did the song more beautifull. "sorry i dont speak well english and i dont know how to explain, i hope you understand."
is like  ... when you go a note up in a Piano. there is a more lovely note. because of the middle voice is hight and clearer.

e17 as it Belongs to the AMP. it has a very powerfull AMP. but why do i need that in my ears, as long as i use ATHM50X
these can be powered without an AMP. anyway, it boosts the Bass but i dont need to much Bass on my Ear.
i like the Bass. But not im my ear. as it hurts and damage my ears. "i really was interested in the DAC and Not the AMP."
so i returned it back to Amazon from where it was coming.
if you want to power some high immpedance Headphones it can be good.
as it Belongs to the DAC It may beat any Computer Sound Card, but not mine as it supports 24 bit output too.

i recomend you go find some old "like 2003" stereo system that supports optical or digital  input. like my Philips LX3700D "it supports digital only"
and you will get the best sound. "Decorated Sound"
i promise you.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #33 of 37
  I have same "genius question". ATM im looking for headphone dac. For example there is dac's with 24bit / 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz and 32 bit / 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz, 352.8kHz,384kHz. How does this works? Dac recognizes any incoming signal between those scales from PC and converts to analog? Or recognizes and first converts to max (for example 32 bit 384khz) and only then sends to analog? I dont get this.

I find out that these are parameters for up or down scalling. Thank you :D

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #35 of 37

​If the DAC has an oversampling or upsampling function then it can modify the signal, usually done by a specialized DSP chip (sometimes it's the USB or SPDIF receiver chip). For the most part though unless it is specified as such the receiver chip takes the signal as it is and just converts it to analogue without modifying the digital signal.

Note that you're more likely to find up/oversampling chips on more conventional gear, likely due to how popular non-OS DACs were on top of the exposure of how changes in the sound through such a digital reprocessing was noise rather than actual extension of the treble that it was able to recover.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #36 of 37

If the DAC has an oversampling or upsampling function then it can modify the signal, usually done by a specialized DSP chip (sometimes it's the USB or SPDIF receiver chip). For the most part though unless it is specified as such the receiver chip takes the signal as it is and just converts it to analogue without modifying the digital signal.

Note that you're more likely to find up/oversampling chips on more conventional gear, likely due to how popular non-OS DACs were on top of the exposure of how changes in the sound through such a digital reprocessing was noise rather than actual extension of the treble that it was able to recover.

Apologies reviving this thread from the dead, have had my first week with a DAC/amp combo (q1mkii with a balanced cable and 6XX)

My first impressions are floored, I know this thread is old but do you see the mkii as oversampled or over colored? The bass boost most certainly adds some color but gives it a nice bite.

Perhaps I am just confirming the benefit of a good dedicated DAC, with enough amplification to power something like the hd650's (hd6XX).

For example, I was showing the 6xx's off a year ago when I got em and people just 'liked' them. Could see the potential. But recently with the mkii, balanced cable, etc, everyone was completely blown away, it took them to a level they haven't heard before in a phone.

As an entry DAC/amp, it's great, but now I'm not sure if I can stop!

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #37 of 37
Apologies reviving this thread from the dead, have had my first week with a DAC/amp combo (q1mkii with a balanced cable and 6XX)

My first impressions are floored, I know this thread is old but do you see the mkii as oversampled or over colored? The bass boost most certainly adds some color but gives it a nice bite.

Perhaps I am just confirming the benefit of a good dedicated DAC, with enough amplification to power something like the hd650's (hd6XX).

For example, I was showing the 6xx's off a year ago when I got em and people just 'liked' them. Could see the potential. But recently with the mkii, balanced cable, etc, everyone was completely blown away, it took them to a level they haven't heard before in a phone.

As an entry DAC/amp, it's great, but now I'm not sure if I can stop!

Only tried it briefly but not with my HD600; i used a Grado, which given the low impedance is more likely to get colored if the amp has high output impedance. That's not really a problem there, but depending on the distortion pattern, some battery powered gear will get distortion trying to drive them (like my old CMOY, which sounds normal with the SR225 and SR80, but absolutely dark at the treble and gutless in the low end with the HD600). I wouldn't guess the Q1 MkII will have that problem though as I haven't seen any review of anything that severe about what it sounds like.

As for the bass boost, I never really use those unless I'm listening to something like Lil Jon or Late Night Alumni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back