Stupid impulse buys
Feb 23, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shaked

New Head-Fier
Ok so I'd like to say that I've more or less just began my own demise. I was at my campus bookstore buying a PATA cable for my computer, and near the checkout counter was none other than the senn CX 300 priced at $39.95. I wanted to get the black ones from Amazon, but at $70 I just wasn't biting. Anyyyyway, there's only one pair left, and the guy working there (who actually knew they were good) says he won't get anymore at that price. FINE!!

I already own the AKG K14P, and I'm pretty confident these blow them out of the water. I haven't gotten much of a chance to listen (I'm in class now STARING at them), but I am going to spend a good portion of my evening in heaven. My iPod is dead, and my laptop was on its way out (of course when I actually needed them), so I've only gotten about 20 mins of use.

I was impressed by the bass (nothing I've heard really has any) considering the size. The isolation was pretty solid as well. Aside from clarity, that's about all I've gotten to notice.

Anyway, this leads me to my real question. After I listen to these for a week, how badly am I going to want to upgrade? Am I doomed?

Rich

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 14
For IEM, I bought the following in this order:

-Panasonic HJE-50S (fairly good bass, decent punch, recessed mids, bright but not too sibilant highs)

-Sony MDR-EX51LP (modded... lots of bass, recessesed mids, sibiliant highs which I've managed to tone down but they are not very accurate. I use these for my "i-don't-care-what-happens" workout headphones. With the mod + the iPod bassboost it sounds great for my electronica and hip-hop.

-Ultimate Ears SuperFi.5 Pro (gobs and gobs of accurate midbass kick, bass is tight and extension is OK, very very slightly recessed mids, accurate and clean highs)

-Sennheiser CX 300 (bass is very nice, good punch, output and extension. I think there is more bass than the SuperFi.5 Pro but it's not as clean but still clean nonetheless. The midrange feels neutral and the highs are very clear (if not a tad tad bit bright. I feel the UE's get this category down perfectly). I'm amazed because I got these for $40US and they sound a lot better than many headphones at twice the price.

Overall, I think I got the whole spectrum of IEMs covered. 2 entry-middle end IEMs (Sony, Pana), 1 middle end (Senn) and 1 high end (UE). If you are going to upgrade you might have to get a Shure E4c or SuperFi.5 Pro, otherwise you will be going down the wrong way of the upgrade path.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
-Ultimate Ears SuperFi.5 Pro (gobs and gobs of accurate midbass kick, bass is tight and extension is OK, very very slightly recessed mids, accurate and clean highs)

Huh?
blink.gif

Oh ok, I think I may understand the context now. It's 1:22PM (that's early in the morning for me).

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 14
You may as well just add an Etymotic or Shure to your Amazon cart now, because you're going to end up there anyway. Imagine everything your CX300 does, but with more detail, more balance, and more isolation.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 14
My impulse buys:

er4ps
dt770s
darth woodying dt770s
emotion+
mpx3
dynahi
ps1
hf1
hp1
hf1 #2
zhalou dac
3 sacd players
um2s
hearos studiophonic 25 platinum
stumpjumper mountain bike

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
You may as well just add an Etymotic or Shure to your Amazon cart now, because you're going to end up there anyway. Imagine everything your CX300 does, but with more detail, more balance, and more isolation.

I don't know...iems just didn't do it for me. Hopefully the cx300 is the answer.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 14
Buying all the parts for a cmoy at radioshack, and probably paying twice what I needed to for half the quality. But so convenient
biggrin.gif

Pathetic compared to these other listings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back