study shows that young people PREFER mp3s to uncompressed music
Mar 11, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno about you, but I still bother to use vinyl when I'm at home and WAV portably. 14 here.

Cause you appreciate music. You are way ahead of your time..Most 14 yr don't know what vinyl is. I'm serious.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause you appreciate music. You are way ahead of your time..Most 14 yr don't know what vinyl is. I'm serious.

its the stuff they make rain coats out of. Right?

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

awesome

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 168
if you are using an ipod + stock earbuds, i don't think you can state a real preference for one or the other. lossless or lossy, in that setup it won't matter.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 168
Bah, not all young people are like that, at least. I know I'm not (17 here) and one of my friends is, but I do know people who are. People have listened to my PortaPros or HD650s (granted my HD650s aren't amped yet, but even so they sound better than PortaPros and WAY better than iBuds. ; ) ) and said they can't tell the difference between them and their iBuds. It's stupefying, really, to think that someone can't pick up on huge differences in soundstage, detail, bass impact... and those are just the obvious differences. I even have a friend who says he likes uncompressed MP3s and cheap earbuds over the sound of decent equipment.

I just don't get it.
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by x3sphere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bad thing is that due to majority of people having crappy setups, the industry has been mastering recordings with loudness in mind, which in turn hurts quality and dynamic range.

+1. That's the main problem. A lot of people use ipods or pc's with crappy speakers as their main source of listening when imho they should be secondary forms. Before music became a convenience, you were kind of forced into investing a decent chunk of change to get a sound setup. Separate receiver, cd player, tape deck, speakers, etc. but you were rewarded with how it sounded. So instead of people throwing down $500 or $1000 to get a decent setup, they are dropping significantly less for portability, convenience, etc.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 168
Every time I sit down and listen to my music collection on my Klipsch Fortes, I'm just absolutely baffled that some CD's are being made the way they are... the sound is just so compressed, so distorted, that it's nearly intolerable. It makes me want to just listen to crappy equipment so I can ignore the flaws.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 168
Considering the fact that they prefer mp3s for Rock music, I think it depends on what type of rock music. A lot of today's music includes the sound of distorted guitars and what not. The artifacts heard in a compressed mp3 may be mistaken for that guitar distortion or electric/techno sound.

Personally, I listen to a lot of rock and I find on some songs I can easily tell the difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps, whereas on some other songs, it's very difficult. I don't have a set-up yet that is good enough to show the advantages of uncompressed, or my ears aren't trained enough.

BTW, I'm 19

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I sit down and listen to my music collection on my Klipsch Fortes, I'm just absolutely baffled that some CD's are being made the way they are... the sound is just so compressed, so distorted, that it's nearly intolerable. It makes me want to just listen to crappy equipment so I can ignore the flaws.

When this happens to me I return the cd and don't look back (I don't care how much I would like the music if it was presented properly), but I refuse to support such things as the loudness war.

Quote:

Oh, the drama! What does it matter how others enjoy their music? Live and let live...

As it does effect us. Have a look at the loudness war then tell me it doesn't effect you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno about you, but I still bother to use vinyl when I'm at home and WAV/ALAC (A726,iPod respectively) portably. 14 here.

I use vinyl to (and love it), I also use my laptop (connected to an external DAC via optical out then to an amp), to listen to my cd's. I however don't have a need for a portable system atm.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it does effect us. Have a look at the loudness war then tell me it doesn't effect you.

It doesn't; if I enjoy the music, that's the most important part for me. Sure I prefer higher bitrates, but given the choice between a 92kbps myspace rip of a song I love and nothing, I'll take the rip each time (and have repeatedly done so with some artists I love who preview unreleased material on their myspace pages).

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 168
Quote:

It doesn't; if I enjoy the music, that's the most important part for me. Sure I prefer higher bitrates, but given the choice between a 92kbps myspace rip of a song I love and nothing, I'll take the rip each time (and have repeatedly done so with some artists I love who preview unreleased material on their myspace pages).

The fact that you're forced to accept a crappy copy of the song you love shows that it can affects you. Can you buy a good (non-loud) version of death magnetic on cd, no. But people seem to accept it, same goes for (though to a much lesser extent) Black Holes and Revelations by Muse.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #27 of 168
Quote:

The fact that you're forced to accept a crappy copy of the song you love shows that it can affects you. Can you buy a good (non-loud) version of death magnetic on cd, no. But people seem to accept it, same goes for (though to a much lesser extent) Black Holes and Revelations by Muse.

Let me rephrase: some artists upload streamed versions of songs they're working on. These songs aren't available anywhere, and aren't meant to be downloaded. I download them and enjoy them. It just reinforces my point that what matters most to me is whether or not I enjoy the music. Personally, I think it's a sad state of affairs when a person gets so into hi-fi that s/he can no longer enjoy music if it isn't in a preferred bitrate or mastered in a certain way. One could make a case that many of the people with iPods and iBuds get more out of their music than many of the people on this forum.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 168
Quote:

Bingo! If people accept crap, no one in the industry is going to rise to the challenge of actually putting effort into a nicely mastered product. Instead, they will cut corners, whip through album after album at an alarming rate with released brickwalled to death.

Sure, if the option is nothing or music through an AM signal, music through that signal is awesome! But if one has the option of well mastered high quality releases vs. AM quality signal, who would refuse the better stuff?

Hang out at www.SteveHoffman.tv and get educated! Album 1 of Artist A is released in the US, then a few days later in Europe and then Japan. The Japanese release gets a different mastering because it's done there, and that culture seems to prefer good sounding releases. Compare Japanese release to US release and one wonders...why didn't I order the Japanese one? There are so many examples of this and is one reason that reissues can be an awesome even or something to be feared depending on who is working on it and what the priorities are.

Sure, individually, if somone prefers to max out their storage with 96kb/s rips vs. lossless, then it's no sweat off your back, but if EVERYONE does this, there will never be lossless releases to be had and in the end, what will be the point of owning audiophile grade gear? Garbage in garbage out starts with the music.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #30 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That article is absurd at about 40 levels. I think we can all agree that the abandonment of uncompressed audio is not a major benefit to the audiophile community, but the write of that article has some extreme biases and makes some major jumps in logic.

Additionally, this 'study' is a professor informally playing short clips to his classes. Please.

We just jumped to absurd level 52...
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back