study shows that young people PREFER mp3s to uncompressed music
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #32 of 168
^ I remember my iBuds being literally painful. Not the sound (which was tinny and unpleasant), but the actual shape of the buds hurt my ears when I tried wearing them.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MP3 destroyed the music industry...

piss off. More people are listening to more music for a longer period of time. The music industry is currently enjoying an enormous boom.
edit: not to mention more people anywhere can make and get their music well known.
TBH it's up to a label how "loud" they want their artists' music to sound, and if you dont like it either go see them live or stop listening. Theres still a lot of music out there that sounds -ok- and some that sounds great on my setup.
I'll sit here, and enjoy the HUGE amount of music that is available, thank you.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #34 of 168
Funny thing actually... I grew up taking classical piano lessons (so I have somewhat trained ears), and when everyone was switching to the iPods and stopped carrying CD players (when I was 14-15), I kept using my portable CD player (and genuine audio CDs) because I couldn't stand the way my friends' rigs sounded (128kbps MP3s). They sounded tinny... and yes, I could tell the difference between lossless and lossy when I was using iBuds.

For a long time I was stuck with Apple iBuds. My parents wouldn't let me buy a good one, and they were actually an improvement over the cheap Sonys and whatnot that came free with most audio players back then!

I borrowed a friend's PX100 for a few hours and got one for myself within a month... and then never looked back. And now I have nothing but lossless and 320 aac/mp3 in my iPod (I did eventually switch!), outputting to an amp driving a Sextett!

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #35 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music industry is currently enjoying an enormous boom.

Really, cause I heard otherwise.
I agree our collections are enjoying a huge boom due to bit torrent but that doesn't help the industry.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 168
One factor may be that younger people have less disposable income than older, working folks. They spend hundreds of dollars of their allowance to buy a music player (iPod or not) and expect the player to play good quality music.

I've noticed over the 4 years that I've commuted in public transit during high school, over 50% of the riders will be content with the stock earbuds that comes with the players. The other 45% who spent money on other headphones simply because a) their stock buds broke or b) the headphone looks good (absurd, really) and would never, ever pay more than $50 for any given pair of headphones. Only about 3-5% of the people I've seen in public transit actually own a decent pair of headphones (that cost $80+, regardless of brand).

What the industry needs to do, is to stop including ****ty earbuds with the purchase of an audio player. Also, these companies also need to stop advertising the number of songs that any given audio player can hold. Who the hell can listen to 15,000 songs in any given day?

By the way, I'm 20, and only started to appreciate good quality music just 2 years ago.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #37 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, cause I heard otherwise.
I agree our collections are enjoying a huge boom due to bit torrent but that doesn't help the industry.

That's funny... Theres a ludicrous amount of bands out there doing a vast number of things that just werent possible 20 years ago - let alone 50. I dont remember my parents listening to a group throw low quality, short duration samples together to make music (industrial tech...)... Every pub you go to, theres at least one band there a night playing a set between 1 and three hours. Here you can't go anywhere without hearing music.
You shouldn't be using bittorrent for music that is not free if you come here. You are here (hopefully) for music, so support your groups and buy their stuff. Heck, there are even people who would never have gotten the light of day 10 years ago, but are getting some serious listening time now thanks to newer technology (which I personally choose not to own) like contemporary acoustic guitarist Andy Mckee. What does he have now, 2 million + have viewed a video of him?
Could get into all sorts of crap about how artists benefit the most from live concerts, and only record companies benefit from cds but for a lot of the time they work hand in hand to bring you a product.
also RDS you need to look outside the "internet elite". You've noticed how popular itunes is, right?
rantrantrantrant
theres a bunch of new music clubs opening all over the place now. Theres a lot of business to be had from music (more than there has ever been) and a lot of people are cashing in. Personally I could care less how record companies do, but I do appreciate that they are providing me with -some- music I like, no matter how much they murder it.
The general public could care less about how good music sounds - they want the music. They'll enjoy it just as much as a high quality version because theyre listenning to the lyrics and the lines 100%. There is no thought at all to the compression and dead sound being played to their ears.
tl;dr Ignorance is bliss, no need to be upset that you lost yours a long time ago. $$$
rantrantrant

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #38 of 168
Quote:

The music industry is currently enjoying an enormous boom.

Just an illusion...most of the mp3 are for free on the web...enormous boom in the artists face!
mad.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #39 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an illusion...most of the mp3 are for free on the web...enormous boom in the artists face!
mad.gif

artists benefit the most from live concerts... a lot of concerts i recently went to they said they didnt care if you downloaded their music - so long as you listen to it*** it. That said, I don't think this is the place to discuss my position on piracy other than to say that I am against it.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #40 of 168
I am over 40 and am amazed at how good an ipod with a good line out cable sounds. Don't get me wrong, I still think we need to promote uncompressed music. But maybe first get them to hear how good compressed music can sound. Then show them how good it can really be.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 168
Quote:

artists benefit the most from live concerts... a lot of concerts i recently went to they said they didnt care if you downloaded their music.

The artists don't have so many choices. they get wiped off on the web sales.
And concerts supposed to be just a bonus compare to the records/cds sales.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipods killed music. Music should be appreciated as a art form..Now it's all about being loud and convient.

I could not disagree more. I personally listen to my ipod with a headphone amp, an lod, and lossless files. Tell me how that is bad? It sounds fantastic, and I can listen to great sounding music while I am not at home. This just enhances my enjoyment of music by letting me hear it wherever I go.

Now... no one killed music. Music is still here. CDs are still being made with great quality that is worth ripping in various lossless formants, and Records are still being made. If you do not like the current batch of artists right now then that is another problem.

As long as you are enjoying your music, does it matter how others are enjoying it? Apart from the medical issues with listening to loud music, it is their choice.

While most of us here value clarity and accurate reproduction, many people just want loud bass heavy music, and they have every right to listen to it.

Rant over.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #43 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burninate35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not disagree more. I personally listen to my ipod with a headphone amp, an lod, and lossless files. Tell me how that is bad? It sounds fantastic, and I can listen to great sounding music while I am not at home. This just enhances my enjoyment of music by letting me hear it wherever I go.

Now... no one killed music. Music is still here. CDs are still being made with great quality that is worth ripping in various lossless formants, and Records are still being made. If you do not like the current batch of artists right now then that is another problem.

As long as you are enjoying your music, does it matter how others are enjoying it? Apart from the medical issues with listening to loud music, it is their choice.

While most of us here value clarity and accurate reproduction, many people just want loud bass heavy music, and they have every right to listen to it.

Rant over.
normal_smile .gif

The problem is when music is made LOUD, you can't deloud it (so to speak) to get it sounding right. I think he's point more or less with the ipod was that it has promoted extremely low-fi sound reproduction by providing very poor ear buds, and promoting them to be good (via the high price). I can't name the number of people who have asked for my opinion and then said why not just get a pair of the stock ipod earphones and refused that to believe me when I said they where of a very poor quality. (Remember, they asked me for my opinion then spat in my face once I gave it to them).

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could make a case that many of the people with iPods and iBuds get more out of their music than many of the people on this forum.

One can make the case that the world is flat, but that doesn't make it so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo! If people accept crap, no one in the industry is going to rise to the challenge of actually putting effort into a nicely mastered product. Instead, they will cut corners, whip through album after album at an alarming rate with released brickwalled to death.

Which is precisly why I return albums that have no reason to be made so loud or sound so terrible regardless of what I think of the songs.

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #45 of 168
I agree with the point about others enjoying music more than many people on this forum.

I feel like many people focus WAY more on hardware than they do on actually listening to the music. They do this to a degree where they are no longer listening to the music, they are listening to the headphones.

Obviously this is not everyone but this is my observation, and I have seen others make the same observation as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back