Study Confirmed: Kids new fashion style causes deafness
Mar 25, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #106 of 116
Argh, yeah, everywhere I go, people using no-name headphones blasting it full volume down a crowed high school hall.

Quite possibly the dumbest convo I heard was in my Spanish class by two ditzy girls who wants to be Victoria Secret models
rolleyes.gif
:

"I have to go to the doctor today...my ears have been ringing on and off."
"Really? Wow, that's weird."
"Yeah, I don't know what's causing but it's bugging the hell out of me."

plainface.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #107 of 116
I teach college and catch "ear-spray" off of people walking across campus with their iPods turned up way too loud. I have to wonder how long they've been listening at those volumes -- did they just get their new hot-pink nano for Christmas last year, or have they been listening like that since high school?

I have one student who came into class with her iBuds blaring and made the connection -- her listening comprehension skills aren't that good (I teach German), and I have to wonder if it's because of hearing loss. Then again, the student I'm thinking of is ex-Navy, so who knows how much damage has been done to her ears...

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #108 of 116
I, for one, would like to have the OP comment on IEMs, given that I have yet to hear from a hearing professional on his/her take on IEMs (assuming that the hearing professionals even know what IEMs are).

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #109 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He has Tinnitus at the age of 18 for god sakes!!!!!Yes, Tinnitus.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(I asked him once, "How about these earphones? *Showed him IEM's* He then replied, "Those are ugly. Look sissy, u kno? I ain't like that. I like them white ones speakers.")

Tell him white "speakeretts" are sissy and they are for little middle school kids and girls. You have to show him how EXTREEEEM IEMS are because "dey blast dem bass up yo ears foo"- you have to practice that line a few times though.

Then tell him that only sissies listen at high volumes because their ears suck. Tell he is cooler than that. "you better then dem foos. You is a gansta. Hows you goona hear dem pigs sneakin up on ya to cut yo throat if yo hearins deaf? foo!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to have worked for rapper Lil John
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

YAEAAAAA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tinnitus, is that ringing like a bell, or a sound like quiet radio static that is inaudible with a background noise <30db?

try this:
download a sine wave generator (i think it is a 30 day demo)

set both channels to sine wave and 16000Hz and set your volume knob to around 40% of your normal listening level. Yes imagine having that in your head 24/7

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this story, you should've said like:
"Sorry kid, but real gangstas are black."

naz yo. them wealthy kidz who dress ghetto and listen to raps and sheeit and pretend to be lower urban class are brothas too
icon10.gif
.. arn't wes?
plainface.gif
oh snaps.
blink.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #111 of 116
How about the problem of bass causing hearing loss? I'd like to see someone try MAX'ing out the volume on my shuffle + um2.

I can't hear the vocals properly and the bass is already hurting my ears at a low volume. I'm afraid to turn up the volume too. That's why I use my E888 most of the time. Light bass + mesmerising vocals
k1000smile.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if this has been bad for awhile. Is hearing loss realy on the rise now? I'm wondering because of that other thread that was started for these anoying cell phone ring tones that teens have. It's dubbed the mosquito ring tone: frequency tones that are in the 17khz to 20 khz range. Aparently there is a large portion of adults who supposedly can't hear this and kids can(some claim that even people past the age of 21 lose that much hearing
rolleyes.gif
). . I guess there are enough kids who have normal hearing that can hear this ringtone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/te...0df0df&ei=5090

I downloaded a "teen buzz" mp3 somewhere. I could hear it very clearly. When I ran it through Nero Wave Editor, it's a tone slightly below or at 16khz. Did i download the correct file?

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #114 of 116
i have a simple solution for trying to avoid teachers knowing your cell phone is ringing... vibrate

redface.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #115 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidfireboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded a "teen buzz" mp3 somewhere. I could hear it very clearly. When I ran it through Nero Wave Editor, it's a tone slightly below or at 16khz. Did i download the correct file?

Most these ring tones are supposed to go anywhere from 17khz-20khz: some fluctaute, some stay a constant tone. I downloaded a couple: both pretty irritating
mad.gif
IMO, no point trying to find these mosquito tones: they're way too anoying!!!
icon10.gif
Plenty of other sites that have nicer tones to let you know if you're having hearing loss

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #116 of 116
am I the only one who doesn't care? In fact, I smirk when I see these gansta kids blasting their rap or hiphop. If they are sitting near me on the bus or train I make a point to glare at them and their headphones, prompting them to turn it up even more! It's like watching someone you hate cut themselves with a knife. Maybe I'm too sadistic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back