Studio or Momentum????
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ProcrastiNation

New Head-Fier
Hi
As an amateur audiophile I know the word "Beats" shouldn't be thrown around...but even some of the people here are saying the new 2013 Studios aren't that bad. I've narrowed my options down to the Studios and Sennheiser Momentum, as I'm looking for something that looks good and delivers good audio.
So from what I've read, the Momentums deliver better audio but the Studios are stronger build and...yeah I'll say it...better looking.

And so the question arrives...are the Momentums that much better quality than the Studios to warrant buying, or is the difference to an amateur so minimal that there's really no big deal here? (the prices are the same where I'm getting them, cheaper than the main stores). 

Or are the Studios (I repeat, the NEW 2013 ones as opposed to the terrible originals) still lacking that balance needed, and the slightly uglier Momentums better choice?

Cheers

(PS I'm asking because there aren't any stores with a display model around where I live)

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 14
If you listen to a lot of bassy music and like having ANC, save $50 and get the Studio. Momentum otherwise. 

I can't say much about the sound, but the 2013 Studio is more comfortable than the Momentum for me. The Momentum isn't really circumaural, its pads are quite small and my glasses get in the way.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 14
  Hi
As an amateur audiophile I know the word "Beats" shouldn't be thrown around...but even some of the people here are saying the new 2013 Studios aren't that bad. I've narrowed my options down to the Studios and Sennheiser Momentum, as I'm looking for something that looks good and delivers good audio.
So from what I've read, the Momentums deliver better audio but the Studios are stronger build and...yeah I'll say it...better looking.

And so the question arrives...are the Momentums that much better quality than the Studios to warrant buying, or is the difference to an amateur so minimal that there's really no big deal here? (the prices are the same where I'm getting them, cheaper than the main stores). 

Or are the Studios (I repeat, the NEW 2013 ones as opposed to the terrible originals) still lacking that balance needed, and the slightly uglier Momentums better choice?

Cheers

(PS I'm asking because there aren't any stores with a display model around where I live)

I never though I'd say this, but go for the Studios. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 14
Momentum. How anyone can suggest the plastic build on Studios would be superior to the Momentums simplistic metal design is beyond me. The Black/Red Momentums look great, yet a little flashy, compared to the more brown gentleman like regular Mometums.

The Momentum also doesn't require batteries for subpar NC and doesn't hiss.

That said im not a fan of the Momentum sound, never tried Studio.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 14
  Hi

Cheers

Sounds like u wan a BEAT ....go for it....be HAPPPPPY !!!!  BEAT IT....BEAT IT....to the tune of "BEAT IT"

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 14
+ 1 for Mometums, really like them.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 14
@Blinxat 
Cheers....any particular reason you're not a fan of the Momentum sound? Just wondering...thanks for the heads-up anyway.

@LinkPro 
Dw about the supposed $50 difference...I've looked around and they're both about $260AUD in the right places....so with the basically zero price difference whats the idea?

Thanks everyone for commenting, really appreciate the help as I'm no expert here!

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 14
  + 1 for Mometums, really like them.

Cheers for the vote...just out of interest if you (assumingly) own the Momentums, is the passive noise-cancelling any good? I'll probably end up using these things as earmuffs on a lawnmower which is one of the reasons I'm upgrading from the HD202s. So I'm not worried either way as to branding but noise-cancelling is a factor.

Thanks again for the help...can't believe how quick people are responding!

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 14
The seal is pretty good but the isolation is not as strong as with some in-ears of course. But since they are closed and the pads are so soft that they really match your ears, it's good. I am not sure though if they are better than the hd202 you are referring to as I have no experience with them :frowning2: sorry.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Had my Momentums for a few months now, I absolutely love them. You'd have to spend twice as much to get significantly better sound. Leave the Beats for the rappers.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 14
The HD202s? They're those $30 ones. Cheap as and they show it. For $30 they're not bad but realistically they're terrible. Trust me, even the old Beats studios were better (slightly).

At this point it sounds like the Momentums are the way to go...(thought as much but was just confirming it). Thanks everyone for the advice, really helped. I'll leave the thread open for a while because I know some others who want to hear this as well, and the poll might keep providing confirmation as well. I only started this thread because in this minuscule hobbit-hole we call a city there are no display models for either headphones, but I reckon this thread helped just as much as display models would. Cheers again.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 14

@LinkPro 
Dw about the supposed $50 difference...I've looked around and they're both about $260AUD in the right places....so with the basically zero price difference whats the idea?

Thanks everyone for commenting, really appreciate the help as I'm no expert here!

Same price, probable ear muffs, I'd go for the Studio. Momentum's passive NC isn't particularly good. Doubt that the Studio's ANC is that good either, but it seems like a safer bet. Again it depends on your music choices.

May 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 14
I have you say for sound quality, Momentum is much better than Studio 2.0 which is much better than old studio

But my ears are too big for momentum over-ear, so studio is much comfortable for me. 

If your ears are average size, just you wont go wrong with Momentum over ear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back