Studio monitor upgrade for bedroom music listening < $800
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seekadds

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have come across a bit of extra scratch, and I have decided the weakest pieces of kit I have now are my DAC/Amp/Pre-amp and my speakers: Audio-GD FUN and M-Audio bx5a's, respectively. I have looked for DAC/Amp upgrades and came to the conclusion that I can't afford the Burson Conductor yet. 
blink.gif
 Nor would any of my current headphones utilize its maximum potential. The enjoy the FUN and it serves me well, so I can live with it for now. 

So with that, I have pretty much decided to upgrade my speakers, as I do a lot of listening on them (don't worry head-fi, my cans get plenty of use as well). I know there are probably better forums for my needs, but they are less friendly and I have had so much success from your recommendations! 

What I like about my current speakers is that they are better than normal "computer speakers." I really don't know much about speakers, but I do know the following:
-I don't mind truncated low frequencies, I have a 10" KRK sub that will pair with whatever I get.
-I don't have a fully treated room, but my bedroom is 12'x11', carpeted, and I have proper monitor stands in decent position.
-I'd like to spend around $800, $1k max.
-Due to my setup (SPDIF from MediaMonkey in wasapi to DAC/Preamp to speakers), they need to be powered monitors.

So far, my interest has been piqued by the Genelecs, namely 8020b's or 8030a's. Adam A7's also have a huge following apparently, but they don't look as cool lol. I plan to hit a Guitar Center to try before I buy, but any tips or feedback before I make a purchase would be a huge help. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd check out the emotive airmotivs, dynaudio speakers, and focal cms speakers.  The airmotivs will be the least expensive of the these three and I've been thinking of picking up a pair of the airmotiv 4s for an office set up.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

-Due to my setup (SPDIF from MediaMonkey in wasapi to DAC/Preamp to speakers), they need to be powered monitors.

While there are certainly other reasons you might choose to go with powered monitors, your setup doesn't limit you. There are good power sources that could match with you pre-amp in the $200 to $250 range that would then allow you to run passive speakers: Emotiva mini-X a-100 or HK 3390 (has main in to bypass pre-amp). Both are 4 ohm stable, so you can pretty much drive anything with them. Your budget would still leave you enough left for Focal Chorus, Kef iQ, B&W 600 series, Paradigm Studio 10s, NHT Classic Two,  PSB Image, Polk LSi, Ascend Acoustics, etc. Plus, there are great deals to be had in the used market. No one wants to buy 5 to 10 year old powered monitors because of the electronics, but 5 to 10 year old passive speakers can be a great choice with plenty of years of life in them. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty set on powered speakers, if only for the convenience alone. I have read some reviews on Focal CMS and Dynamudio BM5A, and I'll keep an eye on them. The Emotive Airmotivs are the most interesting new contender because they are much cheaper, newer, and have ribbon technology. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty set on powered speakers, if only for the convenience alone. I have read some reviews on Focal CMS and Dynamudio BM5A, and I'll keep an eye on them. The Emotive Airmotivs are the most interesting new contender because they are much cheaper, newer, and have ribbon technology. 

Emotiva has first rate prices on very good gear.  I haven't seen a lot of online reviews but the few I've read are very positive.  Plus there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Ive compared the 8020a to the Dynaudio BM5a , Dynaudios won . The Genelcs sounded like they were trying to hard to sound flate and they did this in sacrifice of sound quality, maybe too much electronics in the signal , I have the older genelecs that are rectagular and those sound much nicer. The Dynaudios are just awesome sounding you put a song on and you just layb'ack and become absorbed in the music. Im cleaning house and letting go some of my personal speakers and also selling some studio speakers from the building I work including a set of new BM5As , pm me if you have interest in buying them.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies, I ended up ordering some Genelec 8030a's. I went to Guitar Center and auditioned as many as I could, including the Dynaudio's. I have a 30-period to see if they work well in my bedroom studio. They unfortunately didn't have any Emotiva Airmotiv's, but those are still something that I would like to hear. Even though my budget warranted a purchase above their class, if they sound as good as the reviews I've read say they sound, then I can see them being the #1 choice to recommend to people looking to get new "computer speakers" in that price range, (along with AudioEngines?). $100 and $300 seem to be common budgets that the average computer listener is willing to spend on a set of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back