Studio Headphones ~100 or less
Jun 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick general consensus. Im looking for a pair of decent studio headphones that I will be using to make amateur music at home.

-Preferrably flat sound (a tiny bass hump is fine)
-Durable
- ~$100 or less
- Can be easily driven by my sound card (which is a creative x-fi platinum.)
- Comfortable enough to mix and edit for hours.

Im looking at:
AKG 141 (might not be easily driven)
Sony MDR-V6 (might be too harsh)
Sennheiser HD215 (might not be easily driven)
Possibly the Ultrasone DJ1's? (i found them for $134, kinda expensive for me right now.)

Any other suggestions at this price range? Keep in mind its just basic at home recording and music making (mixing tracks, monitoring drums and guitar recordings in real time). But I do want something decent that will last.

Note: Please do not suggest the Sennheiser 280 Pros. I have used them at my previous studio and I do not enjoy the comfort. I literally will not use them just because of the pain it causes me.

Thanks for all and any help!

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Another option are the M-Audio Q40 headphones. They can be found around the net for 100 or less. I got mine for like 100 bucks shipped. Do a search on this forum and you'll find an in depth review on them. I haven't been able to listen to mine in depth yet as they're my birthday present, so I have to wait until july to use them. I did test them out when they came to make sure there were no problems, and they sounded great. I got them for the same reason, to use as monitors for when I'm creating music, and I was pleased with what I heard. Not to mention I only hooked them up to my iPod when I did the quick test, so they definitely sound fine unamped.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLock3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option are the M-Audio Q40 headphones. They can be found around the net for 100 or less. I got mine for like 100 bucks shipped. Do a search on this forum and you'll find an in depth review on them. I haven't been able to listen to mine in depth yet as they're my birthday present, so I have to wait until july to use them. I did test them out when they came to make sure there were no problems, and they sounded great. I got them for the same reason, to use as monitors for when I'm creating music, and I was pleased with what I heard. Not to mention I only hooked them up to my iPod when I did the quick test, so they definitely sound fine unamped.

I use the Q40's, they seem to be exactly what you're looking for. I got mine for $103 shipped from amazon.com. They're really great headphones.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Well they went up to $120, but they definitely look good. I might actually just save up a little extra and go for those. Thanks for the good suggestions, I had never really looked into those before.

What is the impedance on those puppies? I cant seem to find the answer on amazon/their product page.

Also what is your honest opinion on them unamped?

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 14
^^^

Unamped they sound great. Amped, even better.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Two questions:
1. what is your own honest opinion on the comfort level? Although these are going to be for studio work and mixing, I want them to almost be comfortable enough to easily fall asleep in bed with them on.

2. is there anywhere I can find these for ~$100. I really dont want to spend $120 + shipping because its a low key studio.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two questions:
1. what is your own honest opinion on the comfort level? Although these are going to be for studio work and mixing, I want them to almost be comfortable enough to easily fall asleep in bed with them on.

2. is there anywhere I can find these for ~$100. I really dont want to spend $120 + shipping because its a low key studio.

Their independence is 64, so they can be driven pretty easily without an amp. At first they will clamp on your head a little, but it isn't really uncomfortable. If you stretch them over the long side of the box they come in and leave them like that over night they will become very comfortable. I don't know where else you could buy them, but the prices on amazon.com change pretty often. Keep checking an soon they should be around $100 again. Also, you could look for them on ebay.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 14
Out of the box, could you maybe compare the comfortability of the Q40's to another headphone (besides the RP21 please, I have never felt it.)

I just have this pet peeve with uncomfortable headphones, even studio monitors.

If I decide not to go with the Q40's Im probably going to opt for some $60 Sennheiser HD215's.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 14
The Q40s are more comfortable than the RP21s.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Any other headphones to compare them to? (Senn 280's, Senn 555's, ATH-A700, px100 etc etc)

Ive never felt the Rp21's and my view of their comfortability is somewhat murky from what ive read. Thanks.

Because honestly Im willing to spend $120 on them if they are super comfortable (I already feel the SQ will be excellent.)

Its just a huge pet peeve of mine when headphones (especially nice sounding ones) are uncomfortable.

My Audio Technica A700's are perfect. Although they dont "melt away" on your head, they do not cause discomfort besides heating of the ears at all.

I want something that you know is there, but isnt clamping you like a vice or anything. If that makes sense @___@

Users who are viewing this thread

Back