Students of Head-Fi
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #31 of 95
Quote:

Actually, a lot of the gear of yesteryear was more than fantastic.

Some of it was, sure. 

Quote:

Before the advent of huge TVs, families used to aspire to own a banging speaker system for the same reason most people own 60" TVs. It was a better time, and companies made bulletproof (almost literally) stuff. Look and lift at almost any receiver from the 70's, and you'd get it. Companies cared a little less about profits, and a little more in making the best stuff they could possibly make.

Families did not aspire to own a banging system.  LOL.  Families back then aspired for a bigger TV (gotta love those big console televisions of the 70s and 80s).  Very few people had a high-end stereo.   A few of my  friends had something like a Pioneer stereo system with the stereo cabinet with the smoked glass door  (sold at local department stores) in their house.  I remember they used to cost something like $1000.

It is easier to find a good 'stereo' system in a modern home because people buy them as home theater rigs. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #32 of 95
Hm, fair enough. I can only speak from stories (obviously), but from talking to residents at nursing homes I've volunteered at, all they wanted was a good sound system.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #36 of 95
Well HeadphoneAddict's son inherited Lambdas when he was like 12 or something (Some young age), but he's not a member here that I'm aware of. But I'd certainly hold someone with 'stats with more esteem than someone with HD800's. Flagships only prove the kid has nice parents or something. 'Stats show the kid has dedication, even if they were hand-me-downs.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #37 of 95
Quote:
Well HeadphoneAddict's son inherited Lambdas when he was like 12 or something (Some young age), but he's not a member here that I'm aware of. But I'd certainly hold someone with 'stats with more esteem than someone with HD800's. Flagships only prove the kid has nice parents or something. 'Stats show the kid has dedication, even if they were hand-me-downs.

I guess that makes a point of hand me downs..how about 
youngest member to quality headphone self bought and educated ratio

And stat's don't mean anything. I know a young member on Head-Fi who is nearing 3K posts with 0 headphones.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 95
I guess that makes a point of hand me downs..how about 
youngest member to quality headphone self bought and educated ratio

And stat's don't mean anything. I know a young member on Head-Fi who is nearing 3K posts with 0 headphones.

*Electrostats. :wink:

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 95
Back to the topic of Beats (sorry)  i have kids at my school wearing them as necklaces, although there are quite a few kids in my grade who understand the truth behind beats, including a fellow M50 owner.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #42 of 95
I've seen a pair of grados (sr60?), some aviators, and some porta pros at my school. The rest are either using stock ibuds or beats. The worst part is if you walk in with any other on/over ear headphone, you will undoubtedly get comments like "oh, look at the kid with knockoff beats hahaha" or "oh, you should've gotten beats!". -_-

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #43 of 95
Quote:
I've seen a pair of grados (sr60?), some aviators, and some porta pros at my school. The rest are either using stock ibuds or beats. The worst part is if you walk in with any other on/over ear headphone, you will undoubtedly get comments like "oh, look at the kid with knockoff beats hahaha" or "oh, you should've gotten beats!". -_-

No the best part is you can laugh at them from inside for how foolish they are for following "whats in" instead of branching out and doing something against the norm and to their own accord. As they say "ignorance is bliss".

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #44 of 95
Yes! Now all I need is a real set of headphones :p once I (hopefully) order my RS2s, I'll wear them to school one day just to hear the comments. Knowing high school mentality, however, they'll take everything back at the mention of the price.
But then again, I could've gotten a pair of Detoxes with the money, how stupid of me. :rolleyes:

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #45 of 95
You sure you wanna dive right into RS2's? They're fantastic headphones (wish I could try them for more than half an hour) but are you completely positive the sound signature is for you? Hell, I have Way Too Many Headphones™and I'm still unsure about my preferred sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back