Student needing advice in choosing between (portable) closed headphones without an amp
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

alexv131994

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm new to head fi and although I've always been an avid music listener (easily 8+ hours a day), the only "good" headphones I've had are the Nokia Purity On-Ear and In-Ear.  These were definitely better than all the other stuff I've had and I really loved how cheap they were - got them together for less than $100.  However, the build quality was subpar and I am in need of new cans.  I am a student, so I need something closed and portable.  I am not a bass-head, but I do enjoy hip hop.  I have a really diverse taste in music but the stuff I listen to the most is indie and singer/songwriting stuff.  However, I want something that sounds great across all genres.  I use a Nokia Lumia, so anything that will work with windows phone is a HUGE plus.

I'd prefer something with a good soundstage and a removable cable.

So far the ones I'm really looking at are

Shure SRH440
NVX Audio XPT100 (jaycar price)
Sony MDRZX700

These are all sub-$100, and I'm really not trying to spend more than $70 street price.  So far, I've been able to find all of these for less than $50.

Any other recommendations???  I've been researching all day and just seem so confused on what to pick.  My dad is buying these and I want to make sure I get the best build and audio quality for the price.  Definitely want these to last a while.  I'm not too worried about looks.... but I don't want them to be so big that I look like a goof walking around campus.  This is something I'm worried about in regards to the Fischer FA-003 clones, they look huge but I can't really tell how they will look on me. 

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 29
I have idea (I use mine with an iPhone 4), except that the manual specifically references use with Windows.  If you have specific products you plan to pair with these cans, including what you will use to drive them--you should include that in our opening post.

My guess is that the only question will be whether the controls on the cable work with your device(s) or not.  Of course a can like the 440 has not such controls.

Also good is the Sony Sony MDRZX700, provided you are willing to give up on a detachable cable.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 29
  The Logitech UE6000--although depending on the daily price you may have to stretch you budget almost $10 if you want them new.

you can pick them up for ~$80 at TigerDirect right now (unless that's changed in the last day or so)

Also what are your experiences with them? I'm in the same boat as OP and have looked at them a little

The in-line remote should work for play pause and taking calls from what I read for android so it could be the same for windows phone.and it's also detachable too.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 29
Well I stated that I use a Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia as my primary device.  Controls that work with this phone are a plus, but not necessary.  I'd rather have great sound quality and no controls than mediocre sound quality and controls that may not work - esp since Windows Phone doesn't have as many accessories as Apple and Android.  I'm really more interested in getting the best sound and build quality for the dollar.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 29
  The Logitech UE6000--although depending on the daily price you may have to stretch you budget almost $10 if you want them new.

+1. get it in white. the white is sexxxyystick!

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 29
Does having the noise cancelling off negatively affect the sound?

generally yes. however, whether you notice it or not is totally variable.

the nice thing about the ue6000 is that you can use em passively w/ the NC off, if it turns out you don't like the NC.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 29
Dec 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 29
  Well I stated that I use a Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia as my primary device.  Controls that work with this phone are a plus, but not necessary.  I'd rather have great sound quality and no controls than mediocre sound quality and controls that may not work - esp since Windows Phone doesn't have as many accessories as Apple and Android.  I'm really more interested in getting the best sound and build quality for the dollar.

JVC HA-S680, around $80, eBay
Or the cheaper JVC HA-S500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back