Struggling with upgrade
Jun 16, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #151 of 153

Quote:
Holy crap guys, I totally just had a eureka moment!!! I've always had a turntable (even if it was just a cheapo one) that I haven't really used cause I don't have a speaker setup of any kind. Well all of a sudden I was sitting here listening to music and *cue light bulb* POOF!!! I can hook this badboy up through my Ultra desktop! And it sounds great (if a little scratchy/poppy)! I KNEW there was a reason I've felt compelled to buy vinyl every now and again... well it was mainly cause later I intended to buy proper loudspeakers and vinyl setup. But this works out perfect.

Thanks Head Room!
L3000.gif

Are you using any sort of phono pre-amp? I'm "too young" to have any experience with vinyl (being only 29), but I thought that my speaker setup would need a phono preamp. If that's not the case, I'll have to buy a turntable sooner rather than later.

Head-fi is going to cost me more than I thought. "Sorry", right?

"Thanks" Head Room! :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #152 of 153
What? You think age has anything to do with listening to vinyl? I'm 26, whaddya trying to say? HUH??? ha.

Yeah my crappy turntable has a preamp in it. I saw a good deal the other day on craigslist for a $600 technics going for $250 but they didn't return my email, drats. I also need to look into investing in a record cleaner. That or learn how to properly do it myself but I'm afraid I'll mess up my records.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #153 of 153

Quote:
What? You think age has anything to do with listening to vinyl? I'm 26, whaddya trying to say? HUH??? ha.

Yeah my crappy turntable has a preamp in it. I saw a good deal the other day on craigslist for a $600 technics going for $250 but they didn't return my email, drats. I also need to look into investing in a record cleaner. That or learn how to properly do it myself but I'm afraid I'll mess up my records.

I had the honor of explaining what a "record" was to my (youngest) daughter - she's 4. She said "That's big." She then asked if she could use my iPhone to listen to music. That made me feel old. I almost launched into the "when I was a kid..." speech, but she doesn't believe I was ever a kid.

I think to clean records you use sandpaper and a lighter. You can burn off most of the dust, and whatever doesn’t burn off you can get off with the sand paper 
biggrin.gif

I guess I shall look into a preamp or a turntable with one. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back