Struggling with a Portable Setup
Nov 22, 2005 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Strings

Head-Fier
Righty. Im fairly new to these forums and I'm looking to come up with a portable setup like quite a few of you guys have here.

I have an H140 DAP.

As far as Portable AMPs go Im at a complete loss. I think Id like to use the Optical Out though for best quality.

As far as headphones go... I will worry about them later. But ideally they will be good enough to benefit from having a portable AMP.

So could anyone help me with choosing an AMP/cable setup etc?

I live in the UK so Im also having trouble finding websites to see how much all this would cost.

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 15
to help, we will need some info from you. primarily, what your budget is. but it would be equally helpful to have an idea of what your needs are (open/closed phones, IEMs or full-sized cans, type of sounds you want to hear...).

Since you have a source with a digital out, I would heartily recommend the Headroom Micro Amp & Micro DAC combination (link). Your optical out wont be useful for most amps (since most do not have an optical/digital input, although a select few have USB), but is perfect for using a DAC. I heard that combo with your DAP (I believe) at the So Cal meet a few months back, and it was fantastic. But, this option might be totally out of your price range, especially if you add in extra goodies like the "Desktop module," which improves the sound at the cost of battery life.

If you can let us know what your plans and needs are, that would help.

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Well IEMs dont seem to work for my ears so I would think some good cans.

I think I will forget the Optical idea, as I dont think I can afford the Headroom setup.

I listen to all genres of music. Light Classical to Doom Metal, Jazz to Electronica. Everything really, so Id like the Headphone/Portable AMP combination to be able to accomodate all that.

I have been looking around the forums, help threads etc etc but I just get so lost in everything. Id rather go for gold straight away than buy entry level equipment. Because if I had done that years ago when I was first learning to build and sell computers etc.. I would have been throwing away hundreds of pounds.

So the upshot is Id like high quality (portable amp driven) cans, portable amp itself with a budget of say £600 or £700 pounds. Price isnt too important. Id like to round up to the highest possible quality.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the added info.

There have been a ton of "portable amp" threads in the amp forum. I think right now you kind of need to read through them and see which ones appeal to you. Currently prevalent amps include:
Headroom Micro Amp
Headamp AE-1
RSA Hornet and SR-71
Xin SuperMacro v3 and newer v6
and others, including "mint amps," PPA, M3, etc

A major question I have is what is your intended use?
Does the amp need to be battery powered only, and used on the move? Or will you use it while stationary, like at a desk where a power outlet is available?
How important is size?

Do you need your headphones to isolate you from other noises ("Isolation") and not leak out sound for others to hear ("leakage")?
This will help to define whether or not you need closed phones.

You should probably run a search in the headphones forum, using your listed genres of music as the querry, and see what headphones are mentioned/recommended in the resulting threads.

IMO, I think you should assess your headphone need first, pick your headphones, then pick an amp.

I totally understand your desire to just aim for the top, nothing wrong with that at all. You can always add a DAC later, since you do have that nifty optical out. I wish I had one on my iPod, since I would jump all over the Headroom Micro DAC.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 15
Get yourself a set of SR60's and cut your losses. The H140 sounds good with Grados and the entry level grado offering will give you a taste of a great headphone without the high price.

If portability is critical, consider a set of KSC-35's or KSC-75's.

Headphones first....then amp.

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strings
I have been looking around the forums, help threads etc etc but I just get so lost in everything. Id rather go for gold straight away than buy entry level equipment. Because if I had done that years ago when I was first learning to build and sell computers etc.. I would have been throwing away hundreds of pounds.

The problem with this approach is the quality of a portable is not a straight linear line. There are many different directions you can take. That's why so many people around here have more than one can. You might want to start at the lower end and find what type of sound signature you like first before you decide to jump into the deep end and possibly spend a lot of money of a set-up, that while is really good, just doesn't suit your taste. And it's easier to pair an amp to headphones when you know what tyoe of sound you're going for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Trying to work out what headphones would suit me. But I cant seem to get a straight answer. Will post again when Ive got that niggle worked out.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Check out my sig and my pictures in the album area.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Are the Beyers good for both out and about where its noisy and when its quiet? Sound Quality wise?

Still having an ihp-140 as the source.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 15
The Beyers leak a bit when listening and you do hear some more outside sound compared with my other phones. The Etys are very nice for isolation and are what I use when carrying.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I cant use in ear phones. Ears are genetically crap for them coupled with the fact I just dont like them.

So aside from in-ears, would the Beyer's be a good set of cans to be amp driven?

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 15
The Beyer DT880s are one of those great affordable phones that most people seem to like. They are very articulate and accurate. With the cardas cable just a bit more so....

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 15
Willing to spend $450 max.

I just would have thought that there would be some amazing cans which are quite good to be taken around the place. Would have thought $450 would cover it.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Headroom Micro Amp
Headamp AE-1
RSA Hornet and SR-71
With Xin's SuperMimi at 200 you could swing the DT880 from www.headroom.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/ at your 450 level. Check out Xin's website for his amps. He has several options and on his forum you can check out what others are saying about how they drive the DT880. http://www.fixup.net/talk/ and check up on the Supper-mini and search the forum over the last couple of weeks for the DT880 and Super-mini.

Also check out this thread in this forum:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148250

I love the AE-1 amp and how it sounds with my phones. You can't lose with any of the high end amp options.

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Choice between the Beyer DT880s w/cable upgrade OR HD595s w/cable upgrade.

As far as amps go (with those cans) what would be the differences if I just made my own portable amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back