Strongest player?
Jun 19, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iriver H140 has 35mW into 16 ohms 3v power supply

H3xx has the same spec, of course, having mostly the same parts.

Gigabeat F, X, S, T, and V are all rated at 40mW.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOgdncrsti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highest volume highest output the problem is that i cant identify wich is the mp3 player that have the most powerful amp inside.

Thats pretty easy - the HiFiMan boasts a module where you will be able to change your amp to meet your needs. I expect that it will leave most of the current DAPs behind by a figure reflecting its $700 pricetag.

The real question is : why exactly do you NEED a powerful amp in said portable player ? Is it about being able to impress the other people on the bus with your taste in Norwegian black metal, or are you hoping to drive a specific set of phones without the need for an additional amp ?

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #19 of 29
The real question is : why exactly do you NEED a powerful amp in said portable player ? Is it about being able to impress the other people on the bus with your taste in Norwegian black metal, or are you hoping to drive a specific set of phones without the need for an additional amp ? Because BETTER POWER = BETTER SOUND.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #20 of 29
or more power = higher volume.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
equalizer max make player`s sound bloated, don`t do it pls

he was asking about the 74mW of power, when the equalizer is at normal you're not getting the most powerful output, doesn't matter how it sounds.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
H3xx has the same spec, of course, having mostly the same parts.

Gigabeat F, X, S, T, and V are all rated at 40mW.

And 40mv is supposed to be good? I don't really know how that compares.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #26 of 29
I dont know which Cowon has the most powerful amp, but this is from a review on the i7 on anythingbutipod.com - bolding is mine:

One way I have been enjoying listening to the i7 is with my pair of Sennheiser HD650’s. Usually, an amp is needed to get these reference headphones to listenable levels, but in the case of the i7 there is enough power to push the HD650’s. It will not drive them to full potential, but it will drive them to a loud comfortable level on a flat EQ. The ideal settings I found to my liking was a flat EQ with MP3Enhance on, 1 BBE, and 1 MachBass. If I started to tweak the EQ or add anymore sound enhancements, the sound would distort at full volume.

The bottom line is the i7 is great listening for the purist who like a flat EQ and will drive some of the more demanding headphones. There are plenty of sound enhancements and EQ setting for the audiophile to fine tune to create a symbiotic relationship between the headphones and the i7.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And 40mv is supposed to be good? I don't really know how that compares.

Some DAPs have as little as 5mW per channel.

Depending on the headphones you're trying to drive, not having enough power can mean that the DAP distorts excessively or that you have to drive it into clipping to get to the volume level you want. Underpowered chip amps are also very likely to have increased hiss.

Of course the numbers can't tell you everything - the 35mW from the iriver h120 may sound better to some than the 55mW from the rio karma.

But a very underpowered DAP is a poor match for, say, armature IEMs.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 29
My Iaudio7 is the loudest of what i've seen on an mp3.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS7509 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Iaudio7 is the loudest of what i've seen on an mp3.

specified as 27mW per channel into 16 ohms, fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back