Vines - highly evolved
besides the main course of garage rockers, also has some dreamy
ballads, a bit deeper more varied vs strokes/hives, read more here:
Vines

Got mine today at Borders on sale for $8.99

Jul 21, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 26
Best Buy has this for $5.99
eek.gif
. Haven't bought it yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Jul 21, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 26
This appears to be interesting. I did try a few samples at CDNOW and liked what I heard. But I must ask what is a Krautrock-tinged bass line? That sounds like something that goes with a "low frequency boat".

My music history is not up to the standards set here.

Jul 21, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 26
Listened to Vines 3 times yesterday, it is great stuff. I was too lazy to check Best Buy first, but if they have it for $5.99 buy it now you fools! Anyone who likes the Strokes will love this. (sound quality much better vs Strokes also)

Speaking of indie rock, ordered some others online new and used, some are new albums some are older groups I want to try out, first the rock stuff:

BRMC - BRMC (black rebel motorcycle club)
since I am huge JAMC fan this is no brainer, give me distortion

Clinic - walking with thee + internal wrangler
heard samples yesterday and reall liked what I heard, toured with
Radiohead, read somewhere this is Thom Yorke's fav band.

And you will know us by the trail of dead - source tags & code
noisy sorta shoegazy stuff, but samples sound good, longest name ever, just call them AYWKUBTTOD

Flaming lips - transmissions from satellite + clouds taste metallic
samples sound interesting

Veruca salt - eight arms + american thighs
got both used for $7 total

Now the mellow stuff:

Yo la tengo - painful + hear the heart beating
not sure of this but it was cheap

Uncle Tupelo - anthology 83-93
wanted to try one CD from Wilco and Uncle tupelo
+
Wilco - being there
I like Lucinda Williams so I thought I would try these out.

Any comments from our expert panel out there?

Jul 21, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 26
darkangel,

just going to chime in with some thoughts. thats one hell of a diverse haul of music, probably the best i've seen on head-fi to date.

the only clinic album i've heard is "walking with thee", and its definitely in my top five for releases of this year (probably at #4). their whole image deal cracks me up, a bit too reminiscent of what monks (one of my favorite bands) did in the 70s. i think you'll be very happy with it. i wasn't aware they were a favorite band of thom yorke's, interesting tid bit. if you're interested i have a cool little dj set he and johnny greenwood did for the bbc a few years ago, i can't recall if clinic is on it but shoot me a pm if you'd like a copy.

i used to be a pretty big flaming lips fan, but have ventured away from them in recent years (my tastes have filtered to raw stripped down stuff from their conceptual proggish material). your post forced me to flash back to them - i'm about to head to the main system to spin my soft bulletin lp. i'm very curious about their newest album, heard it yet by any chance?

wilco and uncle tupelo are scary good, although i haven't collected either's full catalogue yet (not planning on it any time soon). lucinda williams is a lot more raw and hits me on an emotional level in a way that neither band does, but both are much more experimental music wise and quite a bit closer to alt rock. if you aren't already familiar with sun volt's stuff you may want to pick it up and complete the little trilogoy (uncle tupelo->wilco, sun volt). i don't like sun volt though , fwiw.

yo la tengo still gets in my regular rotation, up there with the 13th floor elevators as good chill music for me. both picks are very solid, "i can hear the heart beating as one" is quite the experience with a loved one. if you dig either album you may want to grab "new wave hot dogs" to see how far they've progressed musically.

i don't like veruca salt, i'm more of a pj harvey/liz phair/ani difranco type of guy when it comes to modern day chicks with guitars. if you see a glimpse of something interesting in their stuff i suggest going back to patti smith's albums (one of my deep musical heroes).

i'm sure you're familiar with pulp, but in case you aren't i think you'd love their stuff. i've spent a big part of the past week relistening to "a different class" and "this is hardcore". from your selections listed i suspect you'd dig it pretty hard.

i'm not familiar with BRMC or AYWKUBTTOD. could you tell me more about either group and recommend any titles?

you've got me digging out a bunch of old lps and cds darkangel, thanks.
carlo.

ps/multiple edits (sorry):

sapphiremodena - damn, the poetic moment has passed
smily_headphones1.gif

mr pd - krautrock is a term for german indie stuff from the 70s. think kraftwerk and die goldenen zitronen (both great bands).

re the vines (that was what this post was about wasn't it
wink.gif
): their promo disc was widely circulated in the los angeles area for some time, its cool that they're getting big time press. they're closer to kinks and early stooges as far as comparisons go (whereas the strokes are closer to the velvet underground and the cars to me), which induces a bit more energy and glimpses of creativity. i like the album and the best buy price quoted here makes it a no brainer, but i see the glimpse of potential as a little stronger with the strokes (is this it? is really a break-up album, and i think that's why a lot of people see it as shallow. however, anyone who's been in a major relationship can relate with it lyrically, and i'm very curious as to where they'll go next). i couldn't pick between either as a favorite but both are strong representations of the current garage scene.

if anyone wants to look into some stuff that influenced the vines i'd suggest the stooges self titled album, kinks - "kink kontroversey" and "something else by the kinks", and the who - "the who sell out" and "a quick one (happy jack)"

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 26
Good guess, I am a Pulp fan and have the big three Cds:
-his and hers
-different class
-this is hardcore
delightlfully campy stuff!

BRMC has only one CD, sounds like jesus and mary chain. The two flaming lips Cds listed are my first ones.

Because I have so many Cds, I have to search for somewhat obscure groups.......but there seems to be almost no end to cool music if you look hard enough

Jul 22, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 26
DarkAngel,

You just named a lot of albums that've been on my "to-buy" list for a long time. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford buying that many albums at once
frown.gif
, oh well it's not that bad, I'll survive until that day comes.
smily_headphones1.gif

BRMC - I've heard this is good, and I like the single "Love Burns."

Clinic - I've been interested in these guys as soon as I read that Radiohead named "Internal Wrangler" their favorite album of 2000 (or whatever year). Never got around to buying the album, but I'm sure you'll like it.

...Trail of Dead (AYWKUBTTOD) - I actually have "Source Tags and Codes" myself and really like it. I wouldn't call it shoegazing exactly, but more just rock with some punk and emo and prog mixed in... bah I hate classfiying music like that, just listen to it.

Flaming Lips - I really like "Transmissions..." (esp. a song called "Be My Head," but they're all good) and I really want "Clouds..." but haven't gotten around to buying it. Nice choices. BTW they sorta pulled a Radiohead with their new album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots." It has lots of electronic sounds and not much (none?) electric guitar, but still is a really good album. The opening track "Fight Test" is amazing.

I like Wilco as well, and that Yo La Tengo album you mentioned is on my list. Nice taste in music.

Jul 22, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 26
Roy
Since you are a Pixies man, I have all their CDs and recently got the "complete B sides" collection.......well worth getting if you don't already own, has some great stuff.

Also just ordered "frank black(1st CD) + teenager of the year" which sound similar to Pixies last CD from samples I heard. Some people don't like "trompe le monde" but I think it is very solid and has great sound quality (best of any Pixies CD)

Happy
Trail of Dead = Sonic Youth, that is probably good comparison from what little I have heard. I've tried almost all SY Cds and find they have thier moments but still haven't had a great complete album for me. I really like when the songs go off into those abstract disonant guitar solos with jagged shards of noise,
then they reel it back in to the song structure.........kind of like an acid flashback
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 26
I have both Clinic albums and they are both good (albeit short). I feel that Walking With Thee is a little stronger than Internal Wrangler; the songs are a little more consistent, and the greater length of the songs allows Clinic to expand on the musical themes a little more.

If you go to http://www.flaminglips.com, you can listen to the entire new album on your computer. Pretty cool.

Jul 22, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo

mr pd - krautrock is a term for german indie stuff from the 70s. think kraftwerk and die goldenen zitronen (both great bands).

Thanks carlo
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have some obscure band CD's. Probably not to your tastes. I have Honky Toast- Whatcha Gonna Do Honky? I can't catagorize this.
The Erotics- 21st Century S.O.B. I call this barroom rock some call it punk.
Betty Blowtorch-Are You Man Enough?, barroom rock
Nashville *****-High As Hell, this is more barroom rock. Betty Blowtorch used to tour with Nashville *****. They play a hard southern rock/metal style with potty mouth lyrics.

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 26
... so yah want some more emo.

Pretty Girls Make Graves. Dont have their CD yet, but the MP3s sound good, like a big jam session, all members have skills. Put em on my list.

The new Sonic Youth is all good. More chill and popish, could be the O'Rourke influence?

I will have to check the Vines out. BTW, AMG lists similar artists as, among others: Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, and BRMC (all of which are good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back