Strokes, Hives Fans
Jul 26, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 26
Comments on some of my new stuff:

BRMC - BRMC
These guys definitely worship at the altar of JAMC, however nothing here will displace Psychocandy or Darklands. I really like this group, 1st five tracks are solid however last half of CD is weaker with a few weak tracks. This a sort of "dreamy" version of JAMC, well worth getting.

Flaming Lips
Not as excited about this group, and will sell CD:
clouds taste metallic
The other cd "satellite heart" is better, but still not that great for my tastes. Give them credit for trying different things, but not really my cup of tea. This off beat type of music will appeal to fans of Portishead - Dummy

Yo La Tengo
Like this much better, both CDs, somewhat reminds me of Mazzy Star...........more later. Actually I think I will swap "heart beating" for earlier "president/new wave hot dog" CD, the former is a bit too slow/mellow..............like qualudes

Clinic CDs are great, can see why radiohead fans would like this...........more later.

Trail of the Dead also right up my alley, may have to explore this group's other Cds...........more later

Wilco & Uncle Tupelo..........more later.

Jul 27, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 26
DarkAngel,

I'll buy the Clouds CD if the price is right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 26
Trail of the Dead - Source Code
Wow, this does kick serious buttocks! I like this some much I ordered previous CD "madonna" I like the 30-60 second creepy interlude between tracks, very atmospheric. Lots of noise and distortion, this would crush any of the lightweight MTV bands of recent years.........cool stuff
cool.gif

Clinic..............more to come

Wilco & Uncle Tupelo...........more to come

Jul 28, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #20 of 26
I was reading an old issue of Rolling Stone yesterday, and they had a list of people to look out for. Among the list were John Mayer, Norah Jones, Vanessa Carlton, Hoobastank, and a couple others, and about half of them are famous by now. I recognized Clinic's name from that list, and was gonna give them a shot. Thanks for reminding me.

Jul 28, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 26
Uncle Tupelo & Wilco
I could see where many people would like this, has real integrity and artistic merit...........but too much country and too little alt rock
for my taste. I liked Wilco a little better since they sneak in a touch a distortion here and there to mix things up. Now I know what Wilco is all about.

However, sold both of these in 1 day at half.com, so they have fans.

Also both Flaming Lips Cds sold in 1 day.

Clinic
Both Cds are good, but I liked "walk with thee" better. We actually have musicians here and they have a somewhat unique sound, a bit electronic and I could see where "bends" era Radiohead fans would like this. Recording has tremendous presence and clarity.
Anyone notice the lead singer sounds just like the singer from Placebo?

Mr PD
I checked out Betty Blowtorch and I liked the samples..........will check out more in this area.

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
DarkAngel, Betty Blowtorch is one of the most potty mouthed cd's I own. These are a bunch of nasty girls playing here.
MPD

That's one of the things I like about the sound, chix with FU attitude......refreshing contrast from sappy sweet Britney, JLO, Christina etc.

I like Pink's attitude, but most of her music is hopelessly boring and lifeless........all show and no go. I like her "dark" look in Pill video, goth all the way.

Gwen Steffani is pretty cool all the way around, but definitely mainstream MTV material.

I also just picked up some female vox goth rock CDs by:
-jack off jill
-my ruin
These also sound like bad girls
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #24 of 26
Mr PD
Betty Blowtorch
Wow, these sl*ts really crank out some turbo charged rock and roll, this is great stuff! Unfortunately the lead singer was killed in an auto accident in New Orleans last year, so this may be one and only CD
frown.gif

Had to smile at some of the outrageous lyrics, fav song title:
-shut up and *****

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 26
Two CD's I got today:

Diffuser-
I like it but I think they are 'hit hunting'- using the same kind of song structure, from many (slightly) different angles. Sounded more polished than I thought it would. The song 'Wide Eyes' amoung others, has a LOT in common with Kings X.

Vines-
I like this one very very much. Certain songs I like so much I wish they would repeat that formula more (ie 'Get Free', 'Highly Evolved') but musically they veer all over the place. I think the song Factory even has a polka vibe in there. Polka-Punk. Now I've heard it all. I dig the Vines raw sound compared to the Strokes, but they are both doing pretty good things.

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Vines-
I like this one very very much. Certain songs I like so much I wish they would repeat that formula more (ie 'Get Free', 'Highly Evolved') but musically they veer all over the place. I think the song Factory even has a polka vibe in there. Polka-Punk. Now I've heard it all. I dig the Vines raw sound compared to the Strokes, but they are both doing pretty good things.

They are definitely good. Recent MTV awards show had live performance battle of the bands segment Hives vs Vines, both were good but Vines easily were best act of the night.

If you like the Strokes you definitely will like the Vines, even though as you say the Vines are a bit more varied in their music style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back