Streaming services
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Argentum Vulpes

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some insight on streaming services that will fit my new needs\wants

First off my current desktop DAP (a custom built one based off a raspberry pi chip and a R2R DAC) has pushed out its last election and is too broken to fix. Also my current portable DAP (a Zune 120gb) is showing signs of HD failure. All of the music I own is ripped CDs to FLAC. I use Pandora to look for new CDs to purchase.

In light of that I'm looking to replace those bits of hardware with a Cayin N6ii. Now with that bit of information out of the way on to my question.

I'm wondering if there is another free streaming service that is good for finding new music based on what I'm currently liking.

Also I'm looking at purchasing a subscription to Idagio for my classical music fix. I'm wondering if there is another service like it that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 6
A lot of people like Spotify free for looking for new music. Not sure how much classical they have though.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 6
You can get Spotify for free and pay Tidal or Qobuz, both are great. Also if you pay YouTube premium for no adds they give you Youtube music for free, its like Spotify good for casual listening only, If I have to choose one I like Tidal the most.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 6
I have Tidal and Qobuz and for awhile the library was so much better on Tidal but Qobuz is getting better and I do believe I think Qobuz does sound a bit better but not by a whole lot so for now going to keep both. I love going to meets and have several systems setup so good to be able to have a choice but that is me.

Mar 25, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Also I'm looking at purchasing a subscription to Idagio for my classical music fix. I'm wondering if there is another service like it that I'm missing.

Idagio's main competitor was Primephonic. Apple bought Primephonic last year and shut them down. Apple is allegedly going to integrate the Primephonic assets into their Apple Music service and release a new app specifically for classical music. We'll see how it goes, but Idagio is a great service and I highly recommend subscribing to it.

Apple Press Release

Users who are viewing this thread

Back