Strange wording in What Hi-Fi review for a Philips BDP-3100 Blu-ray player
Jan 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rory88uk

New Head-Fier
Just read a review here for this blu-ray player and regarding the audio it says:

"Held back by the sound barrier
Sonically it lacks the dynamic reach of the very best around, with U2's 360° at the Rose Bowl Blu-ray, not quite packing the power and scale of rival machines.

Stereo music tells a similar story, with decent timing but a lack of verve."

What on earth do they mean by "decent timing but a lack of verve." ??

I have never read anything as seemingly non-sensical as this. If anyone can make sense of this, please fill me in. These reviews just seem like bollocks to me.

Anyway I think I'm right in thinking there wouldn't be much difference between most blu-ray players anyway, especially with sound if it is being sent digitally via HDMI.

Correct me If i'm wrong?!

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 10
I knew they had a poor reputation for reviews but I am amazed at how misleading this is.

Who writes this stuff! - "Sound barrier", "the dynamic reach" and "not quite packing the power and scale"

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 10
you should see their equipment rack reviews.

one example:

HERE
if you want more body, depth and punch to your system sound, we’d suggest trying out the ARC yourself. 
Atacama_Equinox_ARC.jpg

lot of headfier Andy material right there

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 10
What Hi Fraud - enough said. As someone else posted, they're only good for seeing what's out, specs etc. Their reviews contain lots of word but never actually say anything with meaning; even contemporary pop music lyrics contain more substance.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
you should see their equipment rack reviews.

one example:

lot of headfier Andy material right there

Wow. Just Wow.

I am starting to think the magazine is just one big inside joke. 

What Hifi says: "

"Reveals new verve and insight, plus more body, depth and punch"

It's a shelf. What!!

This kind of thing (and expensive HDMI cables) are just like one big elaborate scam.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 10
It's a carry-over from when you'd have your vinyl player at the top of the rack, where I guess killing any kind of vibration might be useful, but given CDs require a good old shake to skip and most equipment these days is digital and has next to no moving parts.... er....  que?!

Quote:

Wow. Just Wow.

I am starting to think the magazine is just one big inside joke. 

What Hifi says: "

"Reveals new verve and insight, plus more body, depth and punch"

It's a shelf. What!!

This kind of thing (and expensive HDMI cables) are just like one big elaborate scam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back