Strange smell from NAD amp (?)
Nov 7, 2004 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,
Just bought a new NAD T742 and I can smell a strange smell when I return to my room and the door has been cloesd a few hours. It smells slightly like plastic burning.
I'm aware amps need space to breath - so I made sure it hasn't got stuff sitting right on top of it. I have it on a cupboard, flat surface, with some mock-up cardboard stands on top of it. On the stands is my VCR and on top of that my TV. There is a good 2 centimetres (just shy on an inch) above the amp, so I think it should be OK.

But still, the smell remains. Anyone got ideas what it is, or how I can get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 14
Try moving the amp of the stand and then using it. Personally I like to use more than an inch clearance for ventilation of my equipment. But mind you some equipment I have bought brand new do produce a kind of plasticky smell when first switch on. Are you overloading your power extension socket? Can U see any kind of smoke when using the amp.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 14
It could just be settling in...

For the first few days (at least until the odour goes away) make sure that its switched off when you go out (afterall, having your house burn down wouldn't be a good investment
eek.gif
), and then use it as you normally would...

Personally, I think nothing to worry about, but always best to play it safe...

Nov 7, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 14
I've increased the clearance above the amp from 1 to 2 inches (manual says 4... pfffft, whose got that kinda room).

Good idea about turning the amp off when i go out
smily_headphones1.gif
and good to know some products make this plasticy smell.. makes me worry less.

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Just to be on the safe side:
Run your amp hard for a nice long session and then touch the power cable to the amp and/or any other component sharing that power strip and/or the cable from your pwr strip to the wall. Just make sure you don't have a hot cable somewhere producing that smell.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 14
You might be smelling the manufacturing residues left on the electronic components and circuit boards. Sometimes these chemical evaporate with a little whisp coming out of the device.

If you smell something burning or a lot of ozone, that might be a bad sign of a burned out electronic component.

In addition or providing at least about 3 cm or more worth of space above the amplifier, you may to place it in a type of enclosure that offers ventilation in front and back for you amp.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 14
I have the T751 and it does run hot when I use it on DVD.
You said you just got it, how often had you used it? I think the newer models do not have a fan in the back. I've never used my unit where the fan kicked in. Movies are 2 hrs tops. Less than an inch ventilation on top and in a cupboard sounds too little to me.

I sent my NAD for a check and here's what was done:
resoldered main and surround PCBS
CAP update
Heat run and test
Specification measurement

Nov 7, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Some people like the smell of new electronics.

I know it was a let down when I bought my new CD Player and it didn't have the fresh new smell of the PCB's being all warm and toasty.

Mitch

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Not to understate the necessity for caution, but my NAD did smell a bit too when I was burning it in. As people said, use it only when you are there, drive it hard when you are there and hopefully either the smell will go away or, the amp will just give up. Either way, you will still be in warranty and safe. That is what I did, but I do not know if the smell you are having was the same as in my case.

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 14
It's pretty common for higher end amps to have that distinct smell of cooking electronics, especially if they are running in class A most of the time. I know my Rogues have a unique smell after they warm up, especially since they double as a heater and increase my room temperature about 10 degrees.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 14
Ya know how it goes. Some guy on the assembly line wanted to warm up his tuna and cheese sandwich and left it on the amp too long.
Did I say that???
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back